Autel Robotics

Until now I've been building my own UAVs but the improved quality and lower pricing of branded drones is making it temping to just get one of the shelf. I looked into the reviews of the Yuneec Typhoon H awhile back as I like the retractable landing gear and the built in tablet in the controller but I've seen reviews which say its way over complicated. I would like to support 3DR since its a NA company and I use the ardupilot hardware and software in my home built drones but the Solo uses a GoPro and so you get that barrel distortion which I understand is not practical for filming buildings. The DJI Phantom 4 seemed an obvious choice but then I came across a relatively new company called "Autel Robotics". Their Autel Robotics X Star Premium seems to be a much cheaper alternative to the P4 ($899) and their US support is reported to be very good. It comes with a hard case and they even rebate you the $150 cost of the Part 107 knowledge test if you purchase one before November 30th. Has anyone had experience with their products ?.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

It's on my list to investigate more this week at InterDrone.

In the meantime, I should be getting my hands on a Typhoon H to review in the next month and really look forward to flying it. It's been a while since I've flown Typhoon (had the Typhoon G for a couple of months last year), and I've also heard good things about the H.

On 9/5/2016 at 7:05 PM, Alan Perlman said:

It's on my list to investigate more this week at InterDrone.

In the meantime, I should be getting my hands on a Typhoon H to review in the next month and really look forward to flying it. It's been a while since I've flown Typhoon (had the Typhoon G for a couple of months last year), and I've also heard good things about the H.

I've watched several reviews comparing the Typhoon H with the DJI P4 and they don't make the H look to appealing. The main thing going for it is the 6 rotors and as it can still fly with 5 adds a level of redundancy compared to a quad. Also the full 360 rotation of the camera with the retractable landing gear is a plus but thats about it. The folding arms stresses the cables, it takes up to 3 mins to be ready to fly, the batteries have no level indicators, the controller displays no map as it can't connect to the internet, the range is poor, the collision avoidance does not work and the list goes on. Also, as with the Autel, there is no SDK, so no 3rd party apps or ways to development apps with this platform. So for the moment its a P4 for me but I'll wait for those holiday deals.

Edited by Spitfire76