Spitfire76

GoPro Karma

For me, the GoPro is not a good Aerial camera. I like and use it for some scuba video. The problems with lens distortion, super wide angle lens (overly wide for most aerial), lack of still photo resolution. Just not for me.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

For me, the GoPro is not a good Aerial camera. I like and use it for some scuba video. The problems with lens distortion, super wide angle lens (overly wide for most aerial), lack of still photo resolution. Just not for me.

I agree with you @Kirk and so it will be interesting to see if they will come out with a camera more suitable for aerial photography.

Edited by Spitfire76

THEIR MARKETING VIDEOS ARE SO CRYPTIC.

Will be interesting to see the specs of this bad boy. I'm bullish on GoPro as a company longterm for a number of reasons, but not sure how I feel about the Karma, the HERO 5, or their VR products just yet.

• Like 1

I intercut between my hero 4 silver and my Phantom 3a all the time. You guys know you can change the field of view on the goPro right? I am curious to see what Karma looks like, but not too optimistic. Here is a sample of GoPro and Phantom (and a quick dslr shot) working together. 

First Bretti I like your video, good clear progression through out. My main issues with the GoPro are two fold. Low resolution at 12 mp. Also lack of manual settings. As a photographer lack of control is unnerving.

2 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Here is the second teaser for the GoPro Karma which should be announced on September 19th.

Interesting video, if, in fact, it was shot with a Karma. No obvious video distortion as there would have been if it had been shot with a Hero.  All those horizontal & vertical bookshelf lines would have curved all over the place if shot with a Hero.  One can only hope.  Still they've a real challenge to distinguish themselves from Phantoms & Yuneecs.

Looks like GoPro live event is at 9:00 am PDT (in about 10 mins!) and I heard that they are at the Squaw Valley resort. If I had known I could have driven there as its about 2 hours from here but maybe it was press only.

Edited by Spitfire76

I am glad I did not drive up there as it was only 30 mins long. Nick Woodman (CEO) presented the GoPro Hero 5 black ($499) and session ($299). Both can go under water without a case and are voice controlled. Karma was announced, the arms fold and it can fit into a backpack, uses Hero 4 or 5 cameras. Price with no camera is $799 with camera bundle get $100 off camera price. Camera Gimbal can be used with hand held (or mounted on bike etc..) for non drone shots.

Edited by Spitfire76

Alan

what info do you have on a new DJI coming in the next couple of weeks? I was going to buy a Phantom 4 in the next 2 weeks. But I have to wait if this is true.

Correction to my earlier post the Hero 5 black is $400 not $499 but it looks different so not sure it can be used on existing gimbals made for the Hero 3 or 4.

Edited by Spitfire76

Here's the intro from B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/gopro-karma?utm_medium=Email%201626045&utm_campaign=NewAnnouncement&utm_source=Photokina%20160919&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=gopro-karma.  To me it looks like there are some nice features but nothing groundbreaking. It seems to fold really small, and the front mount  camera might be a good idea - at least until your bird tips over on a hard landing. Pricing seems to be roughly equivalent to P4 & typhoon H.  What's the big deal?  Am I missing something?

Because GOPRO put their stamp on it. Like everything out there everyone wanting piece of the pie.

GoPro just had their presentation yesterday by Nick Woodman giving the release of their new products the GoPro 5 and Karma.

On 9/19/2016 at 1:25 PM, Kirk said:

Alan

what info do you have on a new DJI coming in the next couple of weeks? I was going to buy a Phantom 4 in the next 2 weeks. But I have to wait if this is true.

The DJI Mavic will launch tomorrow.