Washington

Class G & E Airspace - Airport w/out Control Tower

Hey all,

Basic questions. I just want to double check a few things. I know we can fly without ATC permission in class G airspace. In Class E airspace with an airport with a surface level of 700ft, we do not need permission to fly to our usual 400 ft.

Heres my example below. I live within Meriden Markham Airport which is Class E airspace (and takes up a lot of space surrounding), however, all below is Class G. This being said I am clear to fly where ever I please, of course keeping an eye out for any aircrafts and without hitting Class D (just has to be said :D).

Screen Shot.jpg

Edited by Washington

First, triple check your information. Second, one of the reasons the reason the FAA created part 107 is to open more airspace to comercial pilots. So it's very possible open to you now.

Remember recreational fliers stay outside of the five mile radius. Commercial pilots stay within class G airspace. Many small and private airports at actually class G airspace. However class D you will need ATC permission. 

6 hours ago, Marcel Graham said:

First, triple check your information. Second, one of the reasons the reason the FAA created part 107 is to open more airspace to comercial pilots. So it's very possible open to you now.

Remember recreational fliers stay outside of the five mile radius. Commercial pilots stay within class G airspace. Many small and private airports at actually class G airspace. However class D you will need ATC permission. 

Thanks Marcel,

I keep checking left and right and return back to the same answer as it's safe to fly without permission.

What does throw me off is I called the local airport and asked for permission, ahead of a specific flight, a few months ago. They stated "we fly at 1200ft so there is no need to call". However, by looking at the sectional above, the airport is within Class E with a surface of 700ft. I may be calling again soon just to ask them a few questions and clear some confusion up.

I did notice the Class D airspace around the area, which I would be contacting ATC prior to flight. However, all the surround areas reside in a Class E airspace with a surface of 700ft. 

I may end up calling the FAA as well

-Wash

9 hours ago, Washington said:

I live within Meriden Markham Airport which is Class E airspace (and takes up a lot of space surrounding), however, all below is Class G. This being said I am clear to fly where ever I please, of course keeping an eye out for any aircrafts and without hitting Class D (just has to be said :D).

Hey @Washington...you're correct that within the magenta fuzzy line at Meriden Markham Airport, Class E airspace doesn't start until 700 ft. AGL. And anything below that is Class G uncontrolled airspace and doesn't require permission. Of course, if you're operating very close to the airport, it's even more important to maintain situational awareness. You might also want to consult the U.S. Chart Supplements to learn everything you can about the operating hours and traffic patterns at this airport, and maybe even invest in a VHF radio, tune into the CTAF, and monitor local traffic. Not required but could be helpful.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Perlman said:

Hey @Washington...you're correct that within the magenta fuzzy line at Meriden Markham Airport, Class E airspace doesn't start until 700 ft. AGL. And anything below that is Class G uncontrolled airspace and doesn't require permission. Of course, if you're operating very close to the airport, it's even more important to maintain situational awareness. You might also want to consult the U.S. Chart Supplements to learn everything you can about the operating hours and traffic patterns at this airport, and maybe even invest in a VHF radio, tune into the CTAF, and monitor local traffic. Not required but could be helpful.

Hope that helps!

That's perfect! Thanks Alan for chiming in, that is also the info I needed.  I noted the list of radios to purchase for these situations as I will be getting one. I will also be printing out an information sheet of the airport, just to have on hand if questioned. 

Thanks again guys!

-Wash

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 11:29 PM, Washington said:

That's perfect! Thanks Alan for chiming in, that is also the info I needed.  I noted the list of radios to purchase for these situations as I will be getting one. I will also be printing out an information sheet of the airport, just to have on hand if questioned. 

Thanks again guys!

-Wash

Wash:  Can you please provide link to "list of radios" mentioned above?  I could not locate that info.  

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Steve Cole said:

Wash:  Can you please provide link to "list of radios" mentioned above?  I could not locate that info.  

Thanks!

Funny, I am looking for the links now and can not find them myself. Hmmm... Ill get back to you as soon as I find them

On September 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Alan Perlman said:

..and maybe even invest in a VHF radio, tune into the CTAF, and monitor local traffic. Not required but could be helpful.

Hope that helps!

Hey Alan, if possible, can you post some of the transmitters you would recommend again for the communicating with ATC?

Thanks

• Like 1