Lars Meadoworth

Operation at class G airport

I've been searching for an answer to the question of operating AT a class g public airport. I see a lot of info on flying nearby, but nothing on actually operating at one. I don't seem to see any restrictions from part 107, but does anyone have any practical experience or knowledge on this subject?

Class G is Class G.  No notification is required, but I agree with Marcel.  It's a good idea to let the manager of a public, recreational rules airport know what you're planning, when and where, if you'll be flying within 5 miles.  My experience has been that they are happy to have the info and have always responded positively.  I ignore private fields and heliports, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silk Purse said:

Class G is Class G.  No notification is required, but I agree with Marcel.  It's a good idea to let the manager of a public, recreational rules airport know what you're planning, when and where, if you'll be flying within 5 miles.  My experience has been that they are happy to have the info and have always responded positively.  I ignore private fields and heliports, though. 

I agree, Class G is Class G, my concern is the mention of "operating AT a class g public airport" We are not talking 5 miles here. 

Interested in finding out what he is trying to shoot and even if the airport is indeed Class G flying down a runway without permission is probably not  good idea.

I read a thread on a different site about a person flying a Cessna into Class G airport with a tower Airspace @2000 ft and didn't want to contact the tower. He mentioned that is was GKY. I looked up the Airport and it is clearly a class D air space. https://skyvector.com/?ll=32.663861111,-97.094277778&chart=108&zoom=3 Now it may be class G when the airport is closed, I didn't delve into it that deeply but my point is, here is a person that is trained that misread a FREAKING CHART or more importantly didn't want to take basic safety measures for safety. Never assume you are correct.

Some of us are new at this and mistakes can happen. We need to be sure that we are correct in our assumptions. 

Edited by Marcel Graham
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses. My interest lies in the fact that I am interested in flying a giant scale fixed wing aircraft and I was curious if, under part 107 with a remote pilot certificate, I could just go down the road to an airport nearby and fly.

The airport is 2G9 Somerset Pa, class G full time, with class E airspace base at 700' AGL, and publicly owned by the county. Partly I'm curious if my interpretation of everything I've studied is correct, which if it is I really don't see a reason why that's not acceptable with the proper precautions (VO, radio tuned to CTAF, etc.). I do see that they average 38 flights a day, which may be more traffic than I'd like to watch out for though.

3 hours ago, Lars Meadoworth said:

Thanks for the responses. My interest lies in the fact that I am interested in flying a giant scale fixed wing aircraft and I was curious if, under part 107 with a remote pilot certificate, I could just go down the road to an airport nearby and fly.

The airport is 2G9 Somerset Pa, class G full time, with class E airspace base at 700' AGL, and publicly owned by the county. Partly I'm curious if my interpretation of everything I've studied is correct, which if it is I really don't see a reason why that's not acceptable with the proper precautions (VO, radio tuned to CTAF, etc.). I do see that they average 38 flights a day, which may be more traffic than I'd like to watch out for though.

I highly doubt that they will let you put an RC plane into a real airport's traffic pattern. I am no expert but I would think that our limited training in airspace qualifies us for that type of flight. @Uaviator53 thoughts?

Off topic, how big is this plane? How much does it weight?

Not sure what "giant scale" means, but upper weight limit for Part 107 is 55 lbs.  Model aircraft operate under their own rules with which I am not familiar, but even if you can somehow shoehorn yourself into the regs, this sounds like a really bad idea.  Safety has to be your paramount concern, and attempting this seems remarkably foolish.  Get in touch with the AMA here: https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinnew.aspx?s=google.  They'll point you to one of their member clubs where you can find a place to fly safely & sanely.

1 hour ago, Silk Purse said:

Not sure what "giant scale" means, but upper weight limit for Part 107 is 55 lbs.  Model aircraft operate under their own rules with which I am not familiar, but even if you can somehow shoehorn yourself into the regs, this sounds like a really bad idea.  Safety has to be your paramount concern, and attempting this seems remarkably foolish.  Get in touch with the AMA here: https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinnew.aspx?s=google.  They'll point you to one of their member clubs where you can find a place to fly safely & sanely.

Silk, I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I was hinting at but was trying to be more subtle. AMA would be the safest way to go. 

I think there are some assumptions being made here that I should address. Firstly, the term "model" aircraft may not be so black and white as it was a few years ago, or even a week ago. I'm referring to a 10' wingspan commercial UAV (just under 5o lbs) that will be flown for testing purposes.

This is more than what my local RC flying field will accommodate, as far as runway length, line of site, proximity to homes and population, etc. Secondly, I'm referring to a flight within the normal flight pattern of airport operation, not RC acrobatics. There is nothing insane or inherently unsafe about my thought process. I'm not putting up a 1/4 scale acro plane for kicks at my local airport. Since I specifically mentioned operating under part 107, the AMA would literally have nothing to do with this.

7 minutes ago, Lars Meadoworth said:

I think there are some assumptions being made here that I should address. Firstly, the term "model" aircraft may not be so black and white as it was a few years ago, or even a week ago. I'm referring to a 10' wingspan commercial UAV (just under 5o lbs) that will be flown for testing purposes.

This is more than what my local RC flying field will accommodate, as far as runway length, line of site, proximity to homes and population, etc. Secondly, I'm referring to a flight within the normal flight pattern of airport operation, not RC acrobatics. There is nothing insane or inherently unsafe about my thought process. I'm not putting up a 1/4 scale acro plane for kicks at my local airport. Since I specifically mentioned operating under part 107, the AMA would literally have nothing to do with this.

I want pics. That sounds incredible. 

I will have more comments later, busy at work.

Edited by Marcel Graham

Sorry Lars, I didn't mean to infer that you are crazy, just dangerous. Trying to fly your bird on a public field with that much traffic is just too risky, I think.  Checking the SkyVector chart there a lots of private fields in your area, all in Class G.  Why not try to make a deal with one of the owners?

Yeah, that's a great point, SP. I was kind of just wondering if it's within what's considered ok according to part 107, really because I haven't seen it addressed anywhere, but if you take the FAA's word to the letter it seems ok, if not a little crazy! I know it would come with a LOT of responsibility for safety, and not that I would even do it except as a frustrating last resort, or if all the private turf was swamped out for months with snow melt. Thanks for the input.

20 hours ago, Marcel Graham said:

I highly doubt that they will let you put an RC plane into a real airport's traffic pattern. I am no expert but I would think that our limited training in airspace qualifies us for that type of flight. @Uaviator53 thoughts?

Off topic, how big is this plane? How much does it weight?

Agree. mixing UAVs with manned aircraft in an airport traffic pattern is inherently dangerous; a remote pilot certificate is not enough;  isn't going to be allowed. There is a rule requiring UAVs to give way to manned aircraft...

On Wednesday, September 07, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Lars Meadoworth said:

I've been searching for an answer to the question of operating AT a class g public airport. I see a lot of info on flying nearby, but nothing on actually operating at one. I don't seem to see any restrictions from part 107, but does anyone have any practical experience or knowledge on this subject?

My gut  feeling is that no tower or ATC is going to permit model AC and manned AC in an airport traffic pattern. As a licensed comm pilot i believe thats unsafe. Rather than getting opinions here why don't u just call your local FSDO and get the straight poop.