Sign in to follow this  
michael sharp

Newbie!

Michael, I would suggest for you to learn on a cheaper, strong and more forgiving drone, like a Syma 5 or a DM007.

They are the "boot camp" type and you will really learn to fly them without any automatism. When you will feel confident as a real drone pilot, you will be able to upgrade at any time.

Cheers from Bruno

• Like 1

On 9/14/2016 at 3:36 AM, Bruno said:

Michael, I would suggest for you to learn on a cheaper, strong and more forgiving drone, like a Syma 5 or a DM007.

They are the "boot camp" type and you will really learn to fly them without any automatism. When you will feel confident as a real drone pilot, you will be able to upgrade at any time.

Cheers from Bruno

thanks, have just purchased a udi to learn on

On 9/13/2016 at 4:50 PM, michael sharp said:

Hi all, haven't flown yet!  but looking to start really soon with a Phantom 4 i think. Looking round for some beginner courses before buying.

michael

have just purchased a UDI u8184 wi-fi fpv with extra batteries, should be here next week

Excellent idea. I suggest you first learn without using the FPV monitor and when you will feel confident, start to use it fro short period at the time, keeping the craft near you. The reason is that you, as anyone else, can become confused just looking at the screen. It is much better to keep the craft at 5-10 metres from you, learn at first to keep it at constant height (1 - 1.5 metres) and hover it  trying to keep it in the same place. Be careful with the throttle: it is fairly sensitive. Go easy on the controls. One of the things that happen to most beginners is that when moving the throttle they involuntarily move the rudder as well, making the craft turn on itself.

One other important suggestion: make a small but visible strip of very thin aluminium or plastic, a few inches long, and glue it to the top of the front of the fuselage or between the proptective front rings, so that you can immediately detect front from back when you look to the craft from the ground. (please see attached photo).

Keep in mind that with the new rules, multirotors can not be flown out of sight line and not at less than 30 metres from people, one hundred from buildings and they must not exceed 120 metres (400 feet) of altitude. Let me know how you are going. If you need to talk to me, my Skype handle is "sigrana".

Cheers from Bruno

DM007 modification.jpg

• Like 2

My best wishes. Take it easy and start with the craft WITH ITS REAR TOWARDS YOU. Easy on the throttle, just try and hover it without inputting excessive corrective control. REMEMBER THAT IF THE CRAFT HAS ITS FRONT TOWARDS YOU, ALL THE CONTROLS WILL ACT AS REVERSED!!!. Right will be left and viceversa, forward will be backwards etc. etc.

Let me know how you will go. If you wish to email me, my email is uncle72@optusnet.com.au. Cheers.

• Like 1