I shot this last week from Cape Ann. It is jus a basic flyby. I would greatly appreciate feedback on quality. I am looking for a cinematic look. Is the color correcting okay?

Thanks,

Bert

• Like 1

Hi Bert, very nice scenery. Were you on the island when you shot the video? I am a newbie here so can't give you any thoughts on technical aspects. Here are some things I would have liked to have seen strictly as someone just viewing the video. 

Some closer shots of the lighthouses, especially the tops.
Maybe shots starting at the base of the lighthouses and rising up to overhead.
I would also liked to see fairly closeups of some of the buildings,
They looked interesting from a distance and I would have liked to see more of their character.
A sequence starting near sea level pointing toward the rocky ccoastline and then rising up to view a lighthouse all the way up to the top to show the light railings, enclosure and lens.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim,

Thanks, for the feedback. I agree. The was just a basic flyby. I was from shore and used goggles to better see since there was so much glare on my tablet. I also had a friend help spot. I was basically checking it out and trying to get my setting down and get familiar with the area. I do want to try composing something better, so I will take your advice. 

Do you think my color correcting and frame rate looks okay? I want a smooth look so. I used a 16 ND/PL Filter and wondering if the result looks okay. It was mostly sunny out so there was quite a bit of glare. 

Where do you fly?

Thanks,

Bert

Bert,

You were very brave to fly so far over water. I'm not ready for that yet.

The color and frame rate looked okay to me. I live in Belmont, NC west of Charlotte, NC. Just been flying in my yard. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Professional. Passed the Airmen's Aeronautical Test for drone pilots this morning so looking forward to getting my Remote PIC Certificate so I can start a commercial business.

You have some great videos. Keep up the good work.

Jim 

Beautiful. Few points of feedback:

At 0:14, you speed up the video in that shot, which is a cool effect, but it's the only time you do it in the whole video, so there's not much fluidity there. It's a little jarring to just see it once, then all other shots are the same speed, slow and smooth.

You have a bit of shot variety, but next time you film something like this, try orbiting around certain objects, whether it's the whole island, or a house, or a lighthouse or interesting natural formation. I was really expecting to see an orbit shot where you rotate around something in a perfect, slow arc.

Not the best music choice with this editing. The music was really pumping me up while I watched it, but I was kind of let down with the slow, smooth shots. Choosing music like this, I'd expect to see a lot more dynamic editing, syncing with the beat.

Hope that helps! Really appreciate you putting yourself out there and sharing this cut with the community. Beautiful island, and you're clear showing some smooth operating skills. Keep up the good work.