Spitfire76

DJI Mavic

Recommended Posts

The live event annoucing the Mavic Pro has just finished. Its really compact but still contains 4 cameras for video positioning and obstacle avoidance.

Edited by Spitfire76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spitfire76 Even with all the reading,  and research I still get the ahh darn. I should of, would of, and could of. LIke the Yuneec and 3DR. Live and Learn. 

Should make a movie of that, like one of the Die Hard movies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@olesailor at the live event they mentioned it does support the DJI SDK so third party apps should work. Also the guy at the live event had it in a small water bottle bag that was attached to his belt to demonstrate just how portable this drone is.

Edited by Spitfire76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after reading all of the info comparing the Mavic and Phantom 4. For a commercial purpose and no real need for a compact version I think the Phantom 4 is the one for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Marcin Golynski I was considering getting the P4 but I am now interested in seeing if this could be used instead for commercial purposes and so would be very interested in your feedback once you get it and have had a chance to test it out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2016 at 1:06 PM, Spitfire76 said:

@Marcin Golynski I was considering getting the P4 but I am now interested in seeing if this could be used instead for commercial purposes and so would be very interested in your feedback once you get it and have had a chance to test it out. 

 

Edited by Marcin Golynski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marcin

Here is a question I have about what appears to be a plastic dome around the camera. It occurred to me that lens flare or at the least light reflection/refraction  in sunny conditions would be unavoidable. Let me know if this is a problem.

Edited by Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting aside the old adage that "you can't tell a book by its cover" for a minute, I can't help but wonder.  Assuming it can or soon will, handle all the high end software and will be as capable as P4, it strikes me that in commercial use on a high paying assignment that showing up with this guy attached to your belt, or in some other small carrier might not instill confidence in the customer.  Even if it is every bit as capable.  As it happens, I received my P4 on Monday and Mavic was announced on Wednesday.  So far I'm still comfortable with my choice (time will tell).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Putting aside the old adage that "you can't tell a book by its cover" for a minute, I can't help but wonder.  Assuming it can or soon will, handle all the high end software and will be as capable as P4, it strikes me that in commercial use on a high paying assignment that showing up with this guy attached to your belt, or in some other small carrier might not instill confidence in the customer.  Even if it is every bit as capable.  As it happens, I received my P4 on Monday and Mavic was announced on Wednesday.  So far I'm still comfortable with my choice (time will tell).

@Ed O'Grady the same thought did cross my mind and the larger P4 should be able to handle windy conditions better. It was also mentioned in one of the reviews that the FOV of the camera is narrower on the Mavic but I am not sure yet if this is a good a bad thing. I am still leaning towards getting one but will hold off for awhile as I am sure in the next few weeks we will see plenty of reviews and comparisons with the P4 and other drones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2016 at 10:36 PM, Spitfire76 said:

@Ed O'Grady the same thought did cross my mind and the larger P4 should be able to handle windy conditions better. It was also mentioned in one of the reviews that the FOV of the camera is narrower on the Mavic but I am not sure yet if this is a good a bad thing. I am still leaning towards getting one but will hold off for awhile as I am sure in the next few weeks we will see plenty of reviews and comparisons with the P4 and other drones.

Together with DJI Goggles that will be out soon and Mavic with its new OcuSync transmission system offering low latency and slightly narrower FOV, I would imagine DJI aims to capture a fair share of the currently growing racing drone market. Mavic may be focused for the masses while at the same time quite appealing for those who do FPV flying rather than filming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of both, but neither system has full 360-degree camera rotation like the Inspire 1. The Mavic is a bit narrower than the P4 when it comes to field of view, I think 78 degrees? Forgot what the P4 was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Welcome to UCCF.

    The UAV Coach Community Forum is actively moderated by the UAV Coach team and offered to help serve those in the UAV industry. Use this space to meet and greet, to ask and answer questions, to share what you're working on, etc. Have fun, play nice, and fly safe! :)

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      3,322
    • Total Posts
      16,734