Spitfire76

DJI Mavic

The live event annoucing the Mavic Pro has just finished. Its really compact but still contains 4 cameras for video positioning and obstacle avoidance.

Edited by Spitfire76

@Spitfire76 Even with all the reading,  and research I still get the ahh darn. I should of, would of, and could of. LIke the Yuneec and 3DR. Live and Learn. 

Should make a movie of that, like one of the Die Hard movies.

• Like 1

@olesailor at the live event they mentioned it does support the DJI SDK so third party apps should work. Also the guy at the live event had it in a small water bottle bag that was attached to his belt to demonstrate just how portable this drone is.

Edited by Spitfire76

Well after reading all of the info comparing the Mavic and Phantom 4. For a commercial purpose and no real need for a compact version I think the Phantom 4 is the one for me.

@Marcin Golynski I was considering getting the P4 but I am now interested in seeing if this could be used instead for commercial purposes and so would be very interested in your feedback once you get it and have had a chance to test it out. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 1:06 PM, Spitfire76 said:

@Marcin Golynski I was considering getting the P4 but I am now interested in seeing if this could be used instead for commercial purposes and so would be very interested in your feedback once you get it and have had a chance to test it out. 

Edited by Marcin Golynski

Marcin

Here is a question I have about what appears to be a plastic dome around the camera. It occurred to me that lens flare or at the least light reflection/refraction  in sunny conditions would be unavoidable. Let me know if this is a problem.

Edited by Kirk

Putting aside the old adage that "you can't tell a book by its cover" for a minute, I can't help but wonder.  Assuming it can or soon will, handle all the high end software and will be as capable as P4, it strikes me that in commercial use on a high paying assignment that showing up with this guy attached to your belt, or in some other small carrier might not instill confidence in the customer.  Even if it is every bit as capable.  As it happens, I received my P4 on Monday and Mavic was announced on Wednesday.  So far I'm still comfortable with my choice (time will tell).

4 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Putting aside the old adage that "you can't tell a book by its cover" for a minute, I can't help but wonder.  Assuming it can or soon will, handle all the high end software and will be as capable as P4, it strikes me that in commercial use on a high paying assignment that showing up with this guy attached to your belt, or in some other small carrier might not instill confidence in the customer.  Even if it is every bit as capable.  As it happens, I received my P4 on Monday and Mavic was announced on Wednesday.  So far I'm still comfortable with my choice (time will tell).

@Ed O'Grady the same thought did cross my mind and the larger P4 should be able to handle windy conditions better. It was also mentioned in one of the reviews that the FOV of the camera is narrower on the Mavic but I am not sure yet if this is a good a bad thing. I am still leaning towards getting one but will hold off for awhile as I am sure in the next few weeks we will see plenty of reviews and comparisons with the P4 and other drones.

On 10/2/2016 at 10:36 PM, Spitfire76 said:

@Ed O'Grady the same thought did cross my mind and the larger P4 should be able to handle windy conditions better. It was also mentioned in one of the reviews that the FOV of the camera is narrower on the Mavic but I am not sure yet if this is a good a bad thing. I am still leaning towards getting one but will hold off for awhile as I am sure in the next few weeks we will see plenty of reviews and comparisons with the P4 and other drones.

Together with DJI Goggles that will be out soon and Mavic with its new OcuSync transmission system offering low latency and slightly narrower FOV, I would imagine DJI aims to capture a fair share of the currently growing racing drone market. Mavic may be focused for the masses while at the same time quite appealing for those who do FPV flying rather than filming.

• Like 1

A bit of both, but neither system has full 360-degree camera rotation like the Inspire 1. The Mavic is a bit narrower than the P4 when it comes to field of view, I think 78 degrees? Forgot what the P4 was.