Kirk

Has anyone received their permanent license?

Hi Kirk,

Took about 10 day to get my temp license but no permanent license yet. I took my test on August 31st and to date I am still waiting. I am not sure what the delay is since the only requirement is to pass the test. 

Best regards

Aqua

The reason for the delay is so obvious it has eluded you. The fact that the government is running this program means 4 times as expensive 5 times longer than it should take. Lol.

3 hours ago, Aquarion75 said:

Hi Kirk,

Took about 10 day to get my temp license but no permanent license yet. I took my test on August 31st and to date I am still waiting. I am not sure what the delay is since the only requirement is to pass the test. 

Best regards

Aqua

I recall something about a TSA background check, whatever that entails...

Uaviator53,

I was hoping it would be quicker for me since I already had a background check to get my TSA card (TWIC) to get access to ports of entry. I guess we just have to be patient. 

That is not good news.  I passed mine on 9-2-16 and am still waiting.  I have my temp card but really need to the actual cert number so I can apply for waivers.  Any news on them speeding up the waiver approvals yet?

On 9/22/2016 at 10:26 AM, Kirk said:

I also have a current TWIC card and I had a TSA card for LAX for 14 years (not current). Still we wait!

Does anyone know if there is even a REAL number to call and find out what the hold up is? I get that its the government but seriously.  This is ridiculous. 

After the FAA dropped 5000 of us waiting 7 months for the 333 exemption approval. I put nothing past them, they honestly don't care.

Well frustrated and not being able to find any contact info for anyone in the FAA that might be able to answer my burning question, how long is this going to take?

I found this under FAQ's on the FAA UAS site.  

Once I complete the aeronautical knowledge test at one of the approved centers, what is the process for obtaining my pilot certificate from the FAA?
After you have passed the initial aeronautical knowledge test, you will then complete the FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application (known as IACRA) to receive a remote pilot certificate. IACRA is a web-based certification/rating application that ensures you meet the requirements and electronically submits the application to the FAA's Airman Registry. Applications should be validated within 10 days. Applicants will then receive instructions for printing their temporary airman certificate, which is good for 120 days. The FAA will then mail you your permanent Remote Pilot Certificate within that 120 days.  

120 days, really!

I can answer a few of the questions above.  First of all, from FAA.gov, the following...

• We are currently processing permanent Airmen Certificates for temporary certificates that were issued approximately August 10, 2016.

That info is updated weekly I believe.  All of us who took the exam saw, I'm sure, that processing for the permanent certificate would take 6-8 weeks. I took mine at 9 am on Aug 29th - they have not gotten to anyone yet.  But they did a great job of getting the temps out quickly.The TSA background check was done BEFORE the temporary was issued.  I too have a current TWIC but this check is separate and apart from that.

Regarding waivers, again from FAA.gov/uas and in the instructions for requesting a waiver ....

•  If the remote pilot in command possesses a temporary certificate, enter “pending.” 

Hope that helps.

I have no idea where you got that web address!  The only way to request an airspace authorization/waiver is to go the the web portal that was announced on 8/29.  Go to faa.gov/uas and on the right side click on "Request a waiver/airspace authorization".

Do read the 2 documents in the yellow box that will appear - that will help to get an approval.

Yeah, I finally figured that out.  I've requested two waivers, hopefully I will get them back before my job date.  Oct 8.  Two events, same day.

Just now, BDR Jake said:

August 17th?  Wasnt the 26th the first day of testing?  

Yah, notice that this is the primary Airmen Certificate page, not UAS-specific. I was just citing the link that @Ed O'Grady referenced. Unclear if the UAS certificates are on this same schedule or a different one.

I believe it is the same schedule Alan.  Not sure where I read that. And it is based on the processing date of the application - so a few days after having taken the test.

• Like 1

While I was exploring the FAA site for the fun of it I search the data base with my name. The result was it displayed my airplane pilot lic, powerplant and airframe lic, but nothing not even a temp or pending for the UAS.

On 9/23/2016 at 5:46 PM, BDR Jake said:

That is not good news.  I passed mine on 9-2-16 and am still waiting.  I have my temp card but really need to the actual cert number so I can apply for waivers.  Any news on them speeding up the waiver approvals yet?

I don't think you need to wait for your actual cert number to apply for a waiver.  Where you would enter your cert number I think you can enter "Pending."  I passed the exam on 9/3/16 and have not received my permanent card.  I just carry the temporary card.  Also, I have not applied for a waiver yet.

Edited by Earthman

Yeah, I think your right.  This waiver thing is killing me.  I've already had to pass on so much work because the waivers are taking so long to get processed.  I requested a waiver 4 weeks ago and still don't have it, the events are done and gone now.  they've got to get this figured out.