Hello Alan, Thanks in advance for your reply and your time! I made a couple of posts in the "Pilot Lounge" area and got some good advice from Silk Purse. I have never flown a drone or quadcopter, however, I have flown one of the nicer RC Helicopters but never completely mastered it. As far as research on what drone to buy, I took your list of beginner models and went through them with a fine tooth comb and learned a lot about what to look for as well as learning curves, ease of operation etc. I actually settled on one that was a little more expensive than the top one on your list. The reasons were the ease of use for beginners as well as having some advanced options to start learning with as well. I went with the Hubsan X4 H501S. I read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of video on this model and it pretty much got 4.5 stars for it's performance in it's price range which is about $265. It has GPS, Return To Home Feature, Follow Me Feature, a nice radio controller with a descent screen (no need to use cell phone), as well as a 1080p camera. It looks to be very easy to fly especially for beginners! We will see and I will post my experience. I have a background in real estate and construction and have been a contractor for almost 30 years since I got out of the US Navy in 1986. We currently offer environmental inspections, energy loss audits, pre-purchase real estate inspections as well as moisture & leak detection with the use of Infrared Thermal Imaging which I am certified in. Can you see where I'm going? As far as what I want to do, I would love to turn this into a business as an add-on to our existing services or maybe find other opportunities to use it for. Once I get more actual flight experience under my belt and hone my skills a little, I want to take the next step with getting certified and move forward with whatever steps necessary to take this to a professional level which will also include upgrading as I go to better equipment. Any advice or pointers you have is greatly appreciated! Again, I thank you for reaching out and I look forward to sharing experience and knowledge with this community! Blue Skies!

Duane Jordan - Lewisville, NC

• Like 1

Hi All - I too am completely new to drones but am really interested in learning to fly.  If I can master it, i would like to do some real estate photography.  I have some real estate background so I know what buyers are looking for and therefore what photos would make the most sense plus I know many people in my area so I think I'd be in good shape.

I bought an MJX 400 Drone (Amazon seemed to say it is very well liked).  I have read Drones for Dummies, a number of websites and a couple of magazines.  There's a great, open field near where I live so I've been going there every day for 30 minutes or so to practice what I've learned by reading.  

I find that my drone has enormous drift.  In other words, I take off and immediately, the drone often goes backwards and to the right.  I have tried trimming but usually I cannot simply hover.  I don't know if it's the copter or me and I do not know how to tell. I almost bought a new copter just to see, but that doesn't really make sense.  I should point out that sometimes the drift motion is worse that others.  Since most of my activity has been in the last week, it cannot be the weather since it's been calm and beautiful in the northeast.

i'd really like some help.  Ideally, I'd like to find an experienced pilot from whom I could buy a few hour sessions.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks in advance.