Bert

Mount Tom Fall shots

Hi guys! I am hoping that I can get some feedback in this video that I shot. I think I need to adjust my sequencing better, but can you please comment? Although you see fog and clouds, I had my drone in line of site. I was above the fog line on the mountain. 

Thanks!,

Bert P.

• Like 1

@Alan Perlman Always happy to answer!

@Bert Very very nice shots. Job well done! I love the composition of the shots and the fog looks sick! Especially with the bits of color on the trees sticking up here or there. Coloring looks fine to me, except for maybe one or two shots where most of the fog looked purple sort of, but maybe that is the natural color you were getting? It does look cool though...

In terms of the edit, I think one of the major things I would change is the opening shot. It seems to be out of focus slightly but that may be because there is a mismatch between camera or timeline settings. There seems to be some sort of jerky skipping movement. Usually when this happens, it is a result of placing footage of a certain frame rate on a timeline that does not have that same frame rate. But, it could also be a weird shutter speed setting. It isn't terrible but is noticeable. See if you can smooth that out a little bit. There were one or two other shots that looked slightly jerky too, not because of your camera moves but for a technical reason I think (shutter speed or frame rate, etc...).

Also, I know you were asking about this the other week... The aerial post production course should be launching very soon. We wrapped up production of all the videos and lectures so if you are signed up on that landing page for updates, you should be getting one very soon!

• Like 1

Awesome video!  Don't beat yourself up, the sequencing is great (IMHO). What are you flying? Also I thought the color was spot on. 

• Like 1

Bert - just think...you will get better! Heck what a start if you are new to this aerial video thingy. I do not know how much post production effort was required, but this video looks GREAT!

On 10/24/2016 at 7:37 AM, Bert said:

Hi guys! I am hoping that I can get some feedback in this video that I shot.

This is very subjective and it also depends on the context you'd like the feedback.  You want feedback on how this video communicates something, the technical merits or just a general thumbs up or down?  

I think I need to adjust my sequencing better

Its best if videos tell a story, it doesn't have to be a narrative but it does need to have a beginning, middle and an end, one leads to the next.  That seems to be what you've done starting out with the shot of the gate to show that the park is open.  Unfortunately I agree with @Christian Tucci it appears to be out of focus and the wrong frame rate.  However, considering it in context of telling a story its probably not a shot you can do without so although not ideal, necessary. 

You do a good job of creating a mood of isolation and/or solitude, but there are a couple of shots where you show people walking, if they would have been walking on the abandoned road it might add to the feeling, but showing them on a path away from the road could be anywhere and kind of distracts from the mood -- unless your trying to tell the story of the people.  That's not to say its not a good shot just not sure it adds to your story,

There are also a couple of shots with cars in them, the first it appears there's a car passing the main entrance to the park which is closed, that king of adds to your setup but you might consider making that the second shot. The second car shot is at about 52 seconds where your shooting straight down the car makes a brief appearance and there's no real reason for it to be there.   Also at about 27 seconds theres a shot where your flying "out" of the trees, I'd either reverse that shot so it appears to be flying in or move it near the end to give the impression that your leaving and coming to the end.

Although you see fog and clouds

On the technical side fog looks great but its difficult to expose correctly for and color correct.  I'm guessing this is a MAVIC or you used filters to lower your exposure.  Fog is difficult to expose correctly because its a very bright diffuse light source, if you use ND filters to get your shutter speed where it should be depending on the codec it will really crush the blacks on the ground and make it appear to be very muddy.  A couple of things you can do to fix this is to matte out the fog (to adjust only the fog) and then increase the mid range contrast, darken the shadows and modulate the whites to not blow it out.  This will add depth to the fog.  Do an inverse matte and increase the midtones, this will lighten the ground and bring out more details.  

It also appears that you used auto white balance, most of the shots with fog are different colors they should all be the same unless you want to change them over time to tell your story.  But that's not what it appears you did here.

If you just want people impressions I give it a thumbs up!  If you wanted more, I hope this helps.  Great choice in music.  What was it and where did you get it? 

4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

This is very subjective and it also depends on the context you'd like the feedback. 

Head's up.  Check the OP post date..

14 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

Head's up.  Check the OP post date..

I hate when that happens.  

Thanks for sharing.  Quality, timing and just long enough to maintain audience attention.  Wouldn't change a thing.  Music selection compliments the color and speed of your platform/video/shots.

DEEP §23-4-1 // 2017

And according to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, the use of drones is prohibited at Connecticut State Parks, State Forests or other lands under the control of the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, unless specifically authorized by the Commissioner in a Special Use License.

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-connecticut/

Also, did you have 3 miles vis during all of those shots?