macoates

Best computer for video editing

I just passed Part 107 and am now looking for a computer that can handle the video editing and photography.  I have a Phantom 4 and want to make sure I have a computer that is capable of handling the 4K video.  It would be nice to have a laptop that I can carry around with me, but I'm also not opposed to a desk top if that is better.  I am somewhat looking for an excuse to buy an Apple product, whether it's a MacBook or a desk top, but if there is something out there besides an Apple that can do the job it might be nice to save some money.  What are your suggestions?

If Apple is even a slight option for you, then it is very hard for me to honestly recommend something else. The new MacBook Pros are awesome, the 15-inch ones with the nice dedicated GPUs... Unless you really need the extra power a Mac desktop can provide, it is probably a good idea to get a MacBook Pro so then you can use it with your 4K footage in the field too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I don't know about all of the specs so could you tell me what I'm looking for as far as processor, RAM, etc.? Also, are the refurbished products straight from Apple reliable if I go that route? 

This is a build I just made of the new 15-in. MacBook Pro with recommended specs for 4K. The graphics card in this build has 2GB but for an extra $100 you can get the 4GB GPU so I would highly recommend doing that. You are probably fine with the standard CPU here but for an extra $200 you can get the upgraded one.

Storage I left on the lowest stock option because the best idea is to get a nice Thunderbolt 3 RAID array to store your footage.

Let me know what you think.

C

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 11.10.03 AM.png

Wow, this looks awesome.  After looking at the price I may not be in the market for a MacBook as much as I thought, ha.  Any suggestions for other brands besides Apple or even an iMac?  Thanks again for all the great information.

iMacs are an excellent option but really the only iMac that has suitable GPUs for 4K is the 5K 27-in. iMac. See below... Only a little less in price than that MacBook Pro but you are getting more because now you have a super awesome 5K monitor as well, and normally one of those costs $2,000 standalone.

If you really don't want to go Apple, HP makes some good professional options for video editing but then you can't use Final Cut Pro X obviously, and you will probably still need to spend close to $2,000 for something that can do 4K nicely anyway. 4K editing is not easy to do on low cost machines, you really need a lot of power, especially when you start putting effects and things on top of the footage.

C

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.33.29 PM.png

• Like 1