HaydenS

First Video Reel - Shot on Inspire 1 Pro

Hi there Christian!

Very sorry for the late reply. I have been very busy studying and have now just finished most of the cinematography course. 

So to answer your question, ultimately I would like work for a company who focuses on aerial videography or have my own production company. I really am at the stage where I am trying to get more experience to show potential employers my work to me get a start in this industry, because it doesn't seem so easy! At the moment I am willing to do any type of aerial work that becomes available from real estate to events. 

Also, I have started working with a friend who produces wedding videos, and I suggested adding some drone footage in to help enhance the production value and to help give a different perspective.

So to sum up, this reel was put together to try and tell a short story with the best footage I had so far. 

I have gone through the answers from the course and posted them below:

Questions from final assignment:

What NLE did you use to edit your piece?

I used Final Cut Pro 10.3 to do all editing for this piece.

What resolution did you edit in?

I edited all my footage in 4k or 3840x2160 29.97p

Did you decide to showcase all of your capabilities with UAS or just a specific area? If a specific area, which one? (i.e. Motion Picture Filming)

I tried to approach this showcase with an open mind. I have been filming at many different locations over the past year, and thought I would grab the best/most artistic shots for the assignment. 

I did want to recreate a ‘motion picture’ type feeling when filming most of my footage. I tried to do this by making all my shots very slow and include nice reveals. Not sure if I pulled it off, lost more practise to do, however I feel like I have learnt so much over the past year. 

Also I feel i helped achieve this cinematic feel by changing the aspect ratio to ‘black’ of the top and bottom of each clip, once completing the editing.

Finally, one thing that I constantly tried to do was keep peoples attention! Hence the short clips (mainly around 2 - 4 seconds). People have such a short attention span + other movies to watch, why would they want to watch mine?

How did you decide on which music track to use for your piece?

I found this track through a friend and thought it would be usable for this piece. 

How did you decide on the feel you would want your piece to take on?

I decided to choose a track that had a uplifting feeling that would help accentuate the more organic type of shots that I had created. Pretty much everything that i included in this reel was focused on natural scenery and was focused on areas without man made structures/buildings. 

What is the story you are telling through your footage?

The story I am telling is pretty much just a short insight into the beautiful natural landscapes we have here in Melbourne/Australia. 

I tried to start off with the mostly green rolling hills, then build up to the more rugged mountainous regions out of Melbourne, then come back to some more magical footage of the castles (I actually filmed in the UK), then come back and finish on a nice backwards reveal of a nice sunset.

What are 3 important lessons you learned from editing this video that you know will help you in future videos?

1. Editing takes time! When starting out on this project I had no knowledge of FCP apart from Christians videos. Along with youtube and some friends advice, about a week later I started to get the hang of it. 

2. It helps to have a plan before you start!

3. I will know only shoot in d-log or log footage in the future. I found this gave me the ability to enhance the colour of my footage in post-production. 

QUESTIONS I WOULD LOVE ANSWERED:

- I have tried to teach myself davinci resolve + FCP with the XML roundtrip, but to no avail. Is this a good way to colour grade? I dont really like colour grading in FCP as it seems quite limited. 

- What do you think I should cut or change? 

- How is the flow?

- Should I of used more or less dissolves/cross fades?

I would love everyone to watch my video and give any feedback!

Im here to learn, as we all are, so I would very much appreciate it :)

Also a big thanks to you Christian for an awesome learning experience!

Edited by HaydenS
update

Hayden,

First, sorry for taking a little longer than normal to finish writing up my comments. I was away for the Thanksgiving holiday last week.

Second, Australia looks beautiful! Definitely want to visit one day...

General Notes

1. Cool music! I like it! Works well for the footage I feel.

2. I think a shorter cut overall will work much better especially considering that a lot of the shots are very similar so some can be eliminated. For example, there are multiple shots of the castle at the end where it is practically the same angle, just moving in a different direction. This is redundant and just takes up time. This also happens in the area with the tree shots and the hillside with the animals. Originally, I was going to comment individually on each of those shots and say which should go and which should stay but I decided to challenge you, to go through and try to evaluate for yourself which specific shots of each area are really worthy of staying.

Pay attention to two things in particular... For one, it is perfectly fine to have multiple shots on a certain subject of course but try to vary the angles and movements you show. Two, pay very close attention to jerks in the camera movement. If you are going to speed up the footage like you have then small jerks and problems with the actual camera moves are going to be very noticeable. Pick the shots or sections of shots you use based on those that are perfectly smooth and don't vary in movement speed or jerk. You have to look very closely, sometimes it is easy to miss especially with the footage sped up. If you cut out shots based on these two criteria, you will get your shorter cut overall and at the same time be ensuring only the highest quality stuff is in there!

3. Good job with picking and telling the "story" of the beauty of Australia! I think the piece accomplishes that so far and this is only a rough cut so it will only get better I think.

4. Lastly, great job becoming more comfortable with Final Cut and analyzing what you can do next time to make the next cut even easier (i.e. have a plan, etc...)

Since these changes will significantly change your cut, after you make them and rework the piece and submit it again, I can make more specific comments on shots and sections of the cut. I am very excited to see the next cut you submit. I think it is going to be great!!

To answer your other questions...

I do all of my major color correction in Da Vinci. You are right that FCP is limited in it's abilities for color correction. The round trip process works with XML exports and imports from FCP X. Make sure you have the latest versions of both software and try following the directions here: http://www.rippletraining.com/articles/2015/11/11/final-cut-pro-x-to-davinci-resolve-12-and-back/

I think the flow in general of your piece is fine and I didn't notice any particular areas where I definitely would have done a cross dissolve or something instead of a cut, so good work!

Best,

Christian

• Like 1