Paula P

My First Video

Well I have gone through the Post-Production course and have finished my first video. I am so new to all of this and have no

footage of my own to use so Christian, I used your clips. I want to upload the video on Vimeo but not sure if that's ok using your

footage. I've also never uploaded a video other than to Facebook so hopefully I can figure it out!

While following along with the tutorial, I took a little different interpretation of the clips and where to transition and would love all the feedback

you can provide!

Let me know how to set the privacy and I'll attempt to upload.

AND thanks!

Paula, thanks for checking. You can upload the video to Vimeo, just set it as link only viewing and paste the link here. It is okay if the link is shared around the forum for review purposes, just don't share the link widely anywhere or something.

I think the link only option is only valid on Business or Pro plans so if you are using a free account you can set a password on the video instead and post the link and password here.

Check out the "Basic Video File Sharing" lecture in the course for tips on getting the video up correctly on Vimeo.com.

Really looking forward to seeing your cut!

C

Ok I'm pretty lost and frustrated and have no idea if I'm getting this right. I uploaded my video and here is the link:

https://vimeo.com/user52119961/videos 

The password is awaken

My video using your clips is my first and the feel I was going for is a day in New York. I made the transitions in places that I wanted to change the "mood" of the images. One instance of this is near the beginning as the sun hits the city. There is a subtle change in the music as the sun shines and lights different streets.

While I feel pretty lost in the process I am really enjoying the editing and look forward to having some of my own clips to edit from the beginning.

Any critiques welcome!!

I just went through the video again and realized I never even added the Statue of Liberty! I started with the base of it and never showed any more of it! lol

No worries! That is why I am here to help. And as long as you are having fun, that is what matters. I think this link is to your vimeo profile page instead of the video itself. Go to the video itself, as if you were going to play it and copy the link up in your address bar and paste it here.

OK, this link worked! Nice!

General Notes:
  • Obviously the footage pool you have to work with is not super large, assuming you are just using the sample files I provided, but if your goal is to show a day in New York City, maybe try adding more footage to the video overall. This would of course require quicker cuts. Would be nice to see more footage and shots overall especially as the music picks up towards the end of the video.

• Try to pick out some shots that I did not use in my cut so you can practice selecting what is considered good cuts or not.

• Good choice of font for title at the end! It gives it some style that a regular normal boring font wouldn’t but it isn’t too crazy or un-professional.

Time Specific Notes:

00:00:06:00 - Right after this shot finishes fading in, there is a slight camera move, a zoom out with the lens. Adjust the shot using the trim tool to “slip” the footage between the two edit points to have the shot fade in to a point after that awkward camera move. This actually happens in the first clip too, it fades in and then the camera adjusts. See if you can find a section of it that does not have a strange or noticeable camera move. Also, at the end of this shot with the sun between the buildings, one of the helicopter’s antennas comes into view in the upper right corner. Adjusting the shot can help get that out too.

00:00:25:00 - While zooming in on this shot, there is a weird shake in the camera. It smooths out after the zoom in finishes. Adjust the clip to have a section of the shot without the zoom in (or at least without the shake) maybe. I included clips with minor problems like these on purpose to get students used to looking for small issues in the footage, so I am glad you included this on your rough cut.

I am not going to comment on details like alignment with music or anything yet because as you make your second rough cut that is going to change of course when you add more footage.

This is definitely a complete rough cut you got here so great job getting through using Final Cut to make it happen and to get it exported correctly! As you edit more in Final Cut and get used to the interface you will find that you can focus more on the actual editing decisions instead of how to do something.

Can’t wait to see the next cut!

~C

Thanks Christian for the feedback! I am having trouble actually knowing how to edit the clips and tried several times to remove the antenna in that one shot. Every time I tried, I ended up getting the music all off and also had too much footage for the length of the music. I'm doing a step by step tutorial on the software and will get back to work on my next cut as soon as I'm more comfortable with how to edit so I can focus more on the artistic decisions rather than google searching all night trying to find how to do something. If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'm also going to go to a pretty neat area and get some footage of my own!

Don't worry! And don't be afraid to ask the questions here or email me, although I love that you take initiative and try to solve problems yourself...

To adjust clips without moving the edit points (which throws the cuts off of the music) or without adding too much footage at the end beyond the music, you need to use a Slip Edit. A slip edit adjusts the in and out points of the clip without actually moving the edit points at the beginning and end on the timeline. So, you get to keep the length and position of the timeline clip but you are adjusting the content back and forth within that clip. You use the trim tool to perform this kind of edit.

Here is the description of the process in the FInal Cut Pro X Manual.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12552?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US