Hey everyone! I have two projects coming up that will be the start to my demo reel. One in particular is of great interest to me as it is a historic landmark in one of the oldest cities in America the St Augustine Lighthouse.  I have become aware of some cinematography techniques but still would like any advice that anyone would like to throw out. Music Ideas? Shot Ideas? Anything would help. Will share once I have videos done for each property. The other property is a very nice lodge here in my hometown. It sits on a lake with a nice vista and the owners have taken care of me in the past so I owe them one. Looking forward to both projects.

• Like 1

Awesome! Lighthouses are always great to film! Below is a link to a shot I did of a lighthouse once. I thought the move was pretty cool and dynamic. Trying to get dynamic shots is always a good idea beyond just the normal boring orbits and flyovers, etc... Can't wait to see a cut of your video!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 11:30 AM, Christian Tucci said:

Awesome! Lighthouses are always great to film! Below is a link to a shot I did of a lighthouse once. I thought the move was pretty cool and dynamic. Trying to get dynamic shots is always a good idea beyond just the normal boring orbits and flyovers, etc... Can't wait to see a cut of your video!

I mean this is cool, but it would be SO MUCH COOLER if you were standing on top of the lighthouse, and you did a reverse dronie where you end up with the camera pointed right at your face.

Just saying... :P

• Like 2

Appears the video is speed up some in Final Cut? You could get this shot with a Phantom 4 but would take left stick down, right stick "left" and your finger on the camera "Gimbal dial" and some steady, small incremental movements on all three, as you descend on the Lighthouse...

Sound right, Christian?

Jack use "Point of Interest" at various distances and altitudes and you'll get some great footage.

If you want to to follow Christian's flying then do a lot of pre-practice. A lot.

Find a tall flagpole to practice on.

• Like 1

Yes I believe I did speed this up in Final Cut, but only very slightly, to get it to fit in 15 second window for Instagram. I think now videos can be longer on Instagram but when I did this it told me 15 seconds limit.

Wouldn't doing this on a Phantom 4 need left stick down and left stick left? To pan the camera to the left as it spirals down to the right? And right stick forward until it stops in front of lighthouse and then just goes down... Can the Phantom 4 yaw while going up and down? I think I tried that with a Phantom 2 once and it wouldn't yaw unless I made the throttle neutral.

• Like 1

"To pan the camera to the left as it spirals down to the right? "

correct to emulate your shoot. However you need some forward thrust 

also on the right stick. So forward and left combo to produce a forward/Yaw while descending [left stick down] in just the right combination to  produce your flight characteristics while adjusting the camera angle to center on the top of the lighthouse.

" Can the Phantom 4 yaw while going up and down?  "

Yes. Left stick up or down and apply left on right stick. 

One may argue that this is "rotation" rather than "Yaw"?

Good question though [I'm only a Drone pilot]

• Like 1

Oops!! Yes, yaw is on the left stick. 9_9

Practice, practice, practice.

Yaw left while climbing
Yaw right while climbing

Yaw left while descending
Yaw right while descending

Yaw left while flying left
Yaw right while flying right

Yaw right while flying right
Yaw left while flying left

etc, etc, and film all these in a smooth, cinematic feel.

Practice while going forward and then backward also.

these will hone your flying skills.

Christian, you'l make a pilot out of me yet.

Edited by RG
  • Like 1

Hey guys! Thank you for all of the feedback. I'm shooting tomorrow at 7am and yes I agree with you RG the shot Christian did would be more difficult with the Phantom 4 and that particular shot will take some practice. Looking forward to some feedback on the video so I will post as soon as I have a rough cut.

Jack,

Yes you answered my question. I was wondering if you were doing a video category i.e. real estate, event, etc.

7 hours ago, Jack Anthony Daniels said:

@Christian Tucci do you know how to speed up a clip on premiere pro?  My first shot is an establishing one but its about 50 seconds long and unfortunately I wasn't able to set my drone in sport mode so my approach is slow but its still a nice shot.

Yes, if you select the clip in the timeline and go up to the "Clip" menu in the menu bar, there should be a "Speed/Duration" option that will open a window to adjust the speed of the clip.

• Like 1

Thanks. Found it easily. I'm also trying to go for a certain effect on my first clip. I'm very far away from the lighthouse and would like to speed up the clip for just a moment and as I approach go back to normal speed. Its almost like a very fast zoom effect if that makes any sense.

@Christian Tuccidoes that make any sense to you?

4 hours ago, Jack Anthony Daniels said:

Thanks. Found it easily. I'm also trying to go for a certain effect on my first clip. I'm very far away from the lighthouse and would like to speed up the clip for just a moment and as I approach go back to normal speed. Its almost like a very fast zoom effect if that makes any sense.

@Christian Tuccidoes that make any sense to you?

Yes. I think the fastest way I would do it is to use the blade tool to cut the section you want to speed up out of the main clip. Then adjust the speed on just that bladed portion of the shot. You can play with transitions to try and get it to look right if you don't want it to immediately change speed back to normal at the end of the bladed clip.

Cool I tried it and it worked really well. I feel like I need to put some music to the video first before I start making these cuts. I have a Spotify account but I am not very good at navigating through it. I just type in "royalty free music" and go from there. @Christian Tuccican you give me some insight on how you pick songs?

Jack,

I received an email with your post [below] but when I click on the link to the Forum I don't see it.

I'm looking forward to Christians response but in the meantime I found this helpful:

"Cool I tried it and it worked really well. I feel like I need to put some music to the video first before I start making these cuts. I have a Spotify account but I am not very good at navigating through it. I just type in "royalty free music" and go from there. @Christian Tuccican you give me some insight on how you pick songs? "

----------------------------------------------------

This is in the Cinematography Forum

Free Music Resource for Your Videos 1 2
By Eric Matyas, 16 May

Hi everyone,

I've created about 900 tracks of music and sound effects that you can freely use in your videos. It's all original...all my own work. All I ask is to be attributed in the video as described on my homepage:

http://soundimage.org/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jack Anthony Daniels said:

Cool I tried it and it worked really well. I feel like I need to put some music to the video first before I start making these cuts. I have a Spotify account but I am not very good at navigating through it. I just type in "royalty free music" and go from there. @Christian Tuccican you give me some insight on how you pick songs?

This is a really tough question to answer... Personally, I think one of the hardest parts of my process for editing is selecting the perfect track. I never thought about the exact process I use to pick a track but it is one of those things where when I hear the track I know it is the right one. I spend hours sometimes going through lists of tracks and searching around and listening to parts of them just to see if I can hear the "right one". I have a subscription to Elias Music Library so I usually start there and pick the genre and mood search terms based off of the "feel" set for the project. i.e. For the Washington DC warbirds video I talk about in one of the course case studies, the footage and feel the client wanted was cinematic and action so obviously I didn't include hip-hop in my searches of music.

I guess to best sum it up, having a plan first before starting any of this stuff is key. Planning is something that many people don't take seriously when trying to edit a solid piece, and I don't blame them, because usually it is boring and tedious. But, if you have a solid plan on how you are going to approach the edit, it makes every aspect including picking the right music much easier.

• Like 2

@Christian Tucci@Alan Perlman

Hey guys! Finally got around to getting this video uploaded. Please let me know what you think and how I can make it better. One thing I noticed was that I will probably cut on the part where I have a lot of sun glare. You will notice this at the beginning of one clip where I start to wrap around the top of the lighthouse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yh0z57uy95gibb/Lighthouse%20video.mp4?dl=0