Indoor Drones

Chris H

Hi all. I've just recently started a drone business and things are going fine. I've done a few real estate shoots, but I keep getting asked about doing indoor video of the houses with my drone. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and it is just way to big to do indoor stuff. It creates so much wind that any type of object, like a chair, table, wall, etc. causes turbulence for the drone and it can't keep it's position. I want to get a smaller drone for indoor video and I'm considering the Yuneec Breeze. This seems like it would be a good option for me because it specifically advertises being able to hold position indoors, and at the same time it is powerful enough to be a backup in case anything happened to my Phantom. I was hoping to get some feedback before I make my purchase. Is the Yuneec Breeze a good choice? Are their others that anyone would recommend instead of the Breeze?

Thanks for any thoughts. 

On 11/19/2016 at 3:21 PM, Chris H said:

I keep getting asked about doing indoor video of the houses with my drone

Hi Chris, thanks for posting here!

I agree with Ranger...really no need to fly a drone indoors to get the kind of shots and to tell the kind of story you need. You could use something like the DJI Osmo, or the Yuneec Steady Grip (which comes with some of their models), or the new GoPro Karma has a stabilizer that you can use as well.

I'd take a look at the websites of (and maybe call to do some recon) a few real estate photographers and videographers. These guys have been shooting indoor real estate for often many years. 

I'd try to find out:

1) What kind of (non-drone) gear they're using.

2) What common best practices are as setting up the kitchen, the bathrooms, etc. and how to communicate with the client beforehand to set up the house.

3) What kinds of shots to do, what lighting and other technical best practices, etc.

Anyways, you're always more than welcome to share your photos on this forum for feedback. Please let us know how it goes for you and what questions we can help you to work through.

I know @RTV, Inc. - Jay might have some tips as well.

I have heard of folks using small drones inside of homes, but using a DSLR on a gimbal is much more common and will give you the most creative options. Realtors will need still photos to submit to the MLS board anyway so a good camera is pretty logical investment. I am finding most RE photographers are finding they need to offer drone services, and many drone photographers are finding they need to offer stills and multimedia presentations.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

Of course, thank you so much to for taking the time to respond. I generally agree with all the points and recommendations. I'm in a bit of a unique situation. I'm partnering with a company that already does the on-the-ground real estate photography. But as mentioned by Jay, they are being asked for drone services more and more. However, they don't want to deal with the drone stuff, hence their partnership with me. So for now I don't need to worry about doing any ground level stills.

2 things I DO need:

First, there are real estate videos out there where the drone flies outside the house, then comes down and flies right in the front door and starts flying around the house. I've even seen videos where it flies in the front door, goes through the house and flies out the back door. Big WOW factor shots. Maybe they were carefully edited clips from both drones and handhelds, but honestly I think it was all drone video. The agents and other photographers in this area have seen these shots and are wanting them.

Second, I need to have a backup to my Phantom 3 just in case something happens to it and it's out of commission for a while. My budget is limited until I start making more, so that's why the Breeze (or something similar) seemed a good compromise. It could serve as a backup to my Phantom in a pinch, and theoretically I could do some indoor stuff with it if asked.

I've looked at the Osmo - way cool and I definitely hope to get one down the road, but it can't make the kind of videos I mentioned above and I can't use it as a backup to my current drone.

So what I really want to know is if anyone has actually flown the Breeze indoors, or if anyone has experience with another comparable drone indoors, and how it went.

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

I knew someone was going to ask that :)

The videos I saw were sort of over lunch a couple times. I asked the people I was talking with to send me the examples they showed me but they didn't end up sending the ones with the drone flying through the house. I will ask them again and be more specific. If I'm able to find them, I'll post them here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your comments. I just wanted to update this thread - I gave the Breeze a try and ended up returning it. It's not nearly stable enough indoors, and even if it had a gimbal, the video quality is really not good enough for professional work. As Alan said, it's a lot of fun to fly and great for hobbyists - just not good enough for real estate shooting. I'll probably look at buying the DJI Osmo.

Chris

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 10:17 PM, Chris H said:

Thank you everyone for your comments. I just wanted to update this thread - I gave the Breeze a try and ended up returning it. It's not nearly stable enough indoors, and even if it had a gimbal, the video quality is really not good enough for professional work. As Alan said, it's a lot of fun to fly and great for hobbyists - just not good enough for real estate shooting. I'll probably look at buying the DJI Osmo.

Chris

Thanks for the update, Chris!

On 12/9/2016 at 9:17 PM, Chris H said:

Chris

I love the Osmo for this. I have the standard and the Photos and video is excellent. With the extension pole you can do sweeping shots like a UAV with no problems of crashing it. Give it a Try.

• Like 1

FYI - My real estate photographer friends like the Osmo too, but according to them, the X3 won't cut it for real estate stills - they say I need to go with the X5, and that's about $2000 for the handle and the camera. So that purchase might be on hold for a while until I make a little more $$$.

Chris

• Like 2