Cell tower radio interference

Kevin147

Good morning to kevin147 and Uaviator53. I have completed multiple inspections of cell towers for many different carriers. I fly with Phantom 3 Advanced which the freq. operating range is 2400-2438MHz (2.4-2.438 GHz) which is within the Amateur freq band, just on the boarder of the 2438.5 MHz (2.483.5 GHz) cell band used by many carriers but only in the states where they have filed a license for that band.

I have not noticed any disruption to the flight patterns, holding elevation or in a Point of Interest flights. The only time I have had an issue was while conducting an inspection on a bubble water tank and losing GPS while going to view antennas on the main stack of the watertank. Be sure you have full control and expect to fly without GPS.

Hope this helps you guys out. Fly safe   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, QuestLive said:

Good morning to kevin147 and Uaviator53. I have completed multiple inspections of cell towers for many different carriers. I fly with Phantom 3 Advanced which the freq. operating range is 2400-2438MHz (2.4-2.438 GHz) which is within the Amateur freq band, just on the boarder of the 2438.5 MHz (2.483.5 GHz) cell band used by many carriers but only in the states where they have filed a license for that band.

I have not noticed any disruption to the flight patterns, holding elevation or in a Point of Interest flights. The only time I have had an issue was while conducting an inspection on a bubble water tank and losing GPS while going to view antennas on the main stack of the watertank. Be sure you have full control and expect to fly without GPS.

YES. Completely agree. If you're doing this kind of work, you need to be a strong manual multirotor pilot and understand how to take control when GPS fails. Thanks for chiming in, QuestLive

• Like 1

On 1/19/2016 at 6:24 AM, QuestLive said:

Thank you!

• Like 1

I would strongly agree, please practice in ATTI as much as you can.

If practicing outside is an issue with weather, there are two awesome flight simulators on the market that works great. I bought a cheap Spektrum radio so I can practice with a real controller.

Practice ATTI, and let's keep our safety records to the best we can!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...