Chris H

FAA Part 107 Waivers

Hi all,

I live/work in the Phoenix metropolitan area and one of my biggest concerns is with Class D airspace. So far I'm just doing real estate work. If you look at Phoenix with AirMap or VFRMAP you will see that an awful lot of the area is covered by Class D air space (in addition to the Class B airspace for Sky Harbor). So far I've been lucky - the houses I've been hired to shoot were in Class G, but it's just a matter of time before I get a house that's in Class D. My issue is the time it takes to get an authorization from the FAA. No realtor is going to wait weeks or possibly months for an FAA authorization form. I got a call today and the realtor wants the house shot before Monday - that's typical. Again, in this case I'm in luck because the house is in Class G, but I'm wondering what other people are doing to handle this situation. Are you waiting for the waiver? Are you turning down the work? Are you just flying anyway without a waiver?

And does anyone know what the current wait time is for a Class D waiver?

Thanks,

Chris

Howdy, @Chris H

Long story short, the FAA is aware of this issue and is working to improve it. Last I heard, Class D waivers (if requested / filled out correctly) can take as few as 2-3 weeks, but the expectation is still up to 90 days for a turnaround time.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

It may be a good idea to create a map of your area that shows where the airspace restrictions are, and how long of a delay can be expected depending on which air space they are in. This would be a great resource to provide your regular clients, and they would see your branding each time they referred to it keeping your business at the top of their mind.

It would also be a really great resource to put on your website and share on social media. I would bet it would generate significant traffic on your site as people look for your services and maybe get you some back links which is very important for SEO. Yes your competitors might use it (make sure your branding is on it), but if you are the first one to get it out there it helps establish you as the local expert.

Edited by RTV, Inc. - Jay
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2016 at 4:36 PM, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

This would be a great resource to provide your regular clients, and they would see your branding each time they referred to it keeping your business at the top of their mind.

LOVE THIS IDEA.

On 12/19/2016 at 2:36 PM, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

It may be a good idea to create a map of your area that shows where the airspace restrictions are, and how long of a delay can be expected depending on which air space they are in. This would be a great resource to provide your regular clients, and they would see your branding each time they referred to it keeping your business at the top of their mind.

It would also be a really great resource to put on your website and share on social media. I would bet it would generate significant traffic on your site as people look for your services and maybe get you some back links which is very important for SEO. Yes your competitors might use it (make sure your branding is on it), but if you are the first one to get it out there it helps establish you as the local expert.

Jay, that's an excellent suggestion. Thanks for sharing!

Chris

• Like 1

I have pretty much the same question. I am just newly certified Part 107 and am starting to get real estate clients. Move if the area here in Northern California I am finding is class C and some upper B SJC & SFO areas. Please advise on what I should do? Filing a waiver does not seem to be a viable solution since it can take up to 90 days. Clients want it done, today, now or yesterday. 

Any help or advise would be great!

Unfortunately, you really don't have a choice.  You will require an Airspace Authorization.  However, many have been reporting time frames of 30-40 days and I can personally confirm that.  The good news is that FAA is working on a real time solution, but the bad news is that God only knows when it will go online.  However, a quick look at the areas involved suggest that the floor of most of that airspace is not SFC, but higher than that.  So at or below 400 agl may be just fine.  I didn't look closely as I'm not home at the moment but take a close look again.

On 12/8/2016 at 8:35 PM, Chris H said:

Hi all,

I live/work in the Phoenix metropolitan area and one of my biggest concerns is with Class D airspace. So far I'm just doing real estate work. If you look at Phoenix with AirMap or VFRMAP you will see that an awful lot of the area is covered by Class D air space (in addition to the Class B airspace for Sky Harbor). So far I've been lucky - the houses I've been hired to shoot were in Class G, but it's just a matter of time before I get a house that's in Class D. My issue is the time it takes to get an authorization from the FAA. No realtor is going to wait weeks or possibly months for an FAA authorization form. I got a call today and the realtor wants the house shot before Monday - that's typical. Again, in this case I'm in luck because the house is in Class G, but I'm wondering what other people are doing to handle this situation. Are you waiting for the waiver? Are you turning down the work? Are you just flying anyway without a waiver?

And does anyone know what the current wait time is for a Class D waiver?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Some take a few days, some 30-90. It's a crapshoot. I lose jobs on the average of once a week over COAs. You get used to it.

Relief is in the wings...so to speak...

http://www.uavexpertnews.com/automate-drone-airspace-authorizations/

http://www.uavexpertnews.com/faa-outlines-laanc-automated-drone-tool/

Chris ( @rsirota ),

I would recommend submitting a bunch of Airspace Authorization requests (not a waiver, those will not be processed) that cover most of the area you intend to shoot. The approvals should grant you 6 months for each location. Use Google Earth to grab your lat/long and save/name pins in each location you request. Start with requesting 0.5NM radius and agree to limit AGL below 100ft in the initial request. You also need to list how you will meet all performance based standards for part 107.41 ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/media/performance_based_standards.pdf ). Save a word document that holds the info in the text box for the request that matches the name of your save GE pin location. This way, in 6 months when they expire, re-submitting new airspace auths is a breeze, comparatively so.

If you plan to operate in approach/departure flight paths, don't count on it getting approved.

• Like 1