Alan Perlman

Improve the forum / community?

Happy WINTER WONDERLAND to all!

If you could improve one thing about this community forum, what would it be?

We're looking to pump some resources into this forum to make it the best damn thing this side of the Mississippi. Frankly, I think we could be doing a lot better connecting people, making it easier to find information, and educating / consulting along the way with better thread organization and direction. Maybe some real guidelines and moderation too.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

What would YOU want to improve if you had the chance?

(Listening intently)

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 4:54 PM, Brian wilkes said:

I like to start a new topic is do you think this new report from DOT will affect us as  commercial part 107 part ?

Hey Brian, I believe you're referring to this report?

http://dronelife.com/2016/12/08/dot-criticizes-faa-oversight-commercial-drones/

This report is interesting, but uninteresting to me :) I think it's a little dramatic/negative and won't have any kind of direct effect on the industry. The FAA is doing the best they can with the resources they have to push things forward. It's amazing to me what initiatives they have going on right now, and how much they've improved just in the last 9-12 months.

Cynics will be cynics, but I'm pro drone industry + pro FAA.

• Like 1

Greetings Alan,

I for one would like to see a section of the forum focused on Drone Education.

Let me clarify, I'm not thinking of education from a learning perspective perse' but, from a 'How Do You Teach' perspective.

There are many of us in the classroom environment (and more coming on board every day) who are always on the lookout for 'a best practices' approach to drone curriculum development, hands-on applications and sustainable progress.

This is so necessary as Drones are being introduced to our students at an earlier and earlier age through STEM programs now emplemented at the elemantary school level.

I believe it is at this EARLY stage where our introductory drone education MUST stress good flying habits and an understanding of the fundamentals associated with responsible UAV piloting. Too, many of our young people who will be receiving drones for Christmas will be allowed/expected to fly their new drones under only one guideline, "Don't chew up the dog!"

Long, story short, I would very much like to have the opportunity to be able to compare and contrast what/how other educators promote solid drone education (both related to curriculum and flying activities) within their classrooms.

The forum would allow me/us to make that connection.

Just my thoughts........

@Alan Perlman this forum will soon be a year old so how should we mark the occasion ?. I believe it went online on January 14th, 2016 and I joined soon after on the 19th. I have really enjoyed participating in this great community that you have created and thanks for getting me through my part 107 certification with the Drone Pilot Ground School. 

All the best for the holidays.

Richard

Edited by Spitfire76

Greetings,

Thanks Alan,

I'm glad you see merit in additional content toward STEM and classroom drone education.

I look forward to seeing how we can implement it.

Clear skies,

• Like 1

I think a listings area for people buying and selling UAV's and all related accessories would be cool. Some possible related features;

• A $5-10 per year charge to retain an authorized seller status, allowing you to post 'selling' listings, which helps prevent scamming and false listings, as well as contributes to the site upkeep cost.
  • Official rules, regulations, and formats for the section to maintain quality (I'd be glad to help draft this, as I've got previous experience with forum listings and rules that work and are necessary)
  • A possible sub-forum could include a buyer/seller rating area where people could post positive or, constructively/proof-supported negative reviews about buyer/seller interaction that stems from the site, as well as reviews of other companies or sellers on other sites.

Overall, I think a listings area would be great for the site and would add another dimension of benefits that the site provides to its users.

Additionally, I feel that hiring a couple more site administrators through an application/vetting/referral process would be highly beneficial as the site grows in popularity with the influx of UAV pilots. With more members and attention, there is more chance for trolls and misconduct.

A few items - I am sure we have a bunch of people on this forum and many could give feedback to some of the questions on here.  Maybe something that sends an e-mail saying there is a new topic in the forum?  Something that says "here read this and see if you have some input".  The people who respond are great and helpful but it seems like it all seems to come from 3 or 4 people.  It would be nicer to get more responses.

Also perhaps host a bi-weekly chat room.  Post a topic and have people jump on and interact.

Lastly anything to help us figure our more about each other and where we are located.  I am fairly new to Drones but wish to start a business soon and could use a few contacts to see how best to approach it.

12 hours ago, MJBMAN0405 said:

A few items - I am sure we have a bunch of people on this forum and many could give feedback to some of the questions on here.  Maybe something that sends an e-mail saying there is a new topic in the forum?  Something that says "here read this and see if you have some input".  The people who respond are great and helpful but it seems like it all seems to come from 3 or 4 people.  It would be nicer to get more responses.

Also perhaps host a bi-weekly chat room.  Post a topic and have people jump on and interact.

Lastly anything to help us figure our more about each other and where we are located.  I am fairly new to Drones but wish to start a business soon and could use a few contacts to see how best to approach it.

GREAT feedback, thanks @MJBMAN0405!

Hello @MJBMAN0405.  When I first started using the forum, I found it difficult to find the new items that had been posted.  That is until I realized that in the upper right corner of the screen there is an "unread content" button.  Voila, takes me to just the new stuff - works great.

• Like 1

Thanks Ed - was looking more to let all consumers here know something new that they may be interested in has been brought up.  I think the people who get on here all the time and are helpful is great but there are likely hundreds or thousands (not sure how many people are attached to the forums) that would be willing to give some input but they don't have the time to check each day and see if anyone needs their help or brings up a topic they are wondering about also.

Your tip does help weed through the older stuff - I am just looking for a way to get more people involved in answers and a quick e-mail saying (i.e) "A new topic has been added to the forum "Part 107 changes and what they mean"" that maybe someone who doesn't jump on every day may say ... hey I think I know something about that or really need to know something about that .. let me jump on.

• Like 1

@Alan Perlman Going through different posts I have found links to some awesome deals on drones and drone accessories. Maybe you can make a Forum section for deals people have found and want to share with others.

I have also noticed that the same handful of folks post on here.

One idea is to use a slightly different format to gain more engagement and exposure such as a blog. While the forum format has many advantages, a blog format allows for in-depth articles.

Another idea is to solicit opinions from industry experts when appropriate on the forums. One example is the forum post about when it is ok to sell a photo taken from a hotel room. The answer to this is quite complex and although I thought about answering the question - I really do not have the expertise to give a good opinion.  On the other hand, having an opinion by someone knowledgeable about the topic would be quite helpful.

That said - I really like this forum because people are respectful. There are very few instances where two or more people take a tangent from the original topic and start insulting each other. To me being disrespectful is the bane of internet forums. 

• Like 1

Here's my one thing that  I think would improve the the community forums. I would recommend adding a For Sale / Wanted Forum to keep people from posting FOR SALE posts in the other community forums.

• Like 2

OK, here's one more thing I think would be a cool improvement. The forum needs a favicon!

Check out this screenshot for my sUAS related social bookmarks. UAV Coach is the only one without a favicon.

favicon.png

I just noticed that your community login/signup is not secure. Your site is only using http instead of https. Which sends our passwords over the web in clear text. You can get free SSL/TLS certificates with Lets Encrypt. https://letsencrypt.org

Edited by Flightlutions
  • Like 1