Nick2181

Solo and GoPro 5

So with GoPro 5 coming out this year (at least that's what it is said so far), will the Solo be compatible?  I reached out to GoPro and 3DR and have not got a confirmed answer.  Each side claims they don't know what the other is doing.  In my opinion I find that hard to believe seeing the Solo is built around the GoPro.  I just think they are not allowed to disclose any information, which I totally understand. 

So what is your take on it, you think the Solo will support GoPro 5?  Do you even care if it supports it?  I for one am psyched if it does, as the rumored specs of the GoPro 5 (if true) will put a whole new take on aerial photography.

I can't see a universe in which they aren't compatible. I care a great deal that it is supported. I want geotagging! 

GoPro needs every market it can get currently. The two obviously worked very close to build functions into the Solo app, something would have had to seriously sour that relationship to not have it work going into the future.

Part of me wonders if there was some backroom deal where 3DR got help w/ GoPro software, and GoPro got help with drone software/pixhawk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewis@IcarusAerials said:

Part of me wonders if there was some backroom deal where 3DR got help w/ GoPro software, and GoPro got help with drone software/pixhawk. 

Was thinking the same thing :)

Not sure if it was a backroom deal or furthering of the two companies' strategic alliance. With DJI owning a large share of the drone market, alliances of this nature are necessary in order for the two companies to continue to hold and try to gain market share. DJI likely has similar alliances with a camera manufacturer to incorporate the core elements of that manufacturer's camera hardware into its cameras (why reinvent the wheel?). When GoPro comes out with its fifth generation camera, and if it does not have the same ability to connect to the Solo as the GoPro 4 systems, it will likely have an adapter to do so. If the GoPro 5's video and image quality is as it purports, GoPro will want Solo flyers (and others) to upgrade to their new system to recoup its R&D and manufacturing investment, and earn a profit.

• Like 1