New P3P owner in Colorado Springs

Hi, Gary Burtt here...jumping into the drone realm to add this to my photography toolbox.  I have been a photographer hobbyist for a long time and am excited about the new perspective that drone photography can add.    I started with a BLH8500 from Horizon Hobby and i got hooked.  Just picked up my Phantom 3 Pro yesterday.  Looking forward to learning about this bird and getting it ready for its maiden journey.  

I know i have a lot to learn and if there are any GOOD starting places, please let me know.

I look forward to being part of this community.

Gary

• Like 1

First of all, if you have intentions of doing this commercially you will need to get your Remote Pilot Certificate from FAA.  You did say hobbyist however, so the license may not apply.  Either way, in the area of Colorado Springs there is a LOT of controlled airspace along with some restricted areas and alert areas as well.  Given that you live in the area, you can fully understand the reasons.  Be careful, be safe, and welcome to the forum.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

First of all, if you have intentions of doing this commercially you will need to get your Remote Pilot Certificate from FAA.  You did say hobbyist however, so the license may not apply.  Either way, in the area of Colorado Springs there is a LOT of controlled airspace along with some restricted areas and alert areas as well.  Given that you live in the area, you can fully understand the reasons.  Be careful, be safe, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice Ed.  Being ex military I am aware of the sensitive nature of the Colorado springs area.  Flying commercially may be an end goal for me but for now I just want to get used to flying and exploring possibilities.  I am looking forward to being part of this forum community.

7 hours ago, timmy67 said:

Hello Gary, if I were you I would add these 2 apps to check air space areas B4UFLY and AIRMAP.

these should help you out with were areas are available or not

Thanks Tim, I downloaded these apps this morning and will investigate them during my breaks at work today.

Gary