Ed O'Grady

FAA Airspace Authorization & Waiver Experiences / Notes

Airspace authorizations seem to be alive and well.  However, waivers to Part 107 appear to be on hold at the moment.  In any case, congratulations on the authorizations.  You were most likely talking to FAA contractors, many of whom are former FAA employees. Fly safe!

• Like 1

OK, so a bit of good news, today I received my first Airspace Authorization (not a waiver, sorry)! Ironically, it was for a Class C airspace and other Class D airspace I submitted at the same time have not been approved (yet).

Details:
It was near the fringe of the airspace and not on the take-off/landing trajectories.
Originally requested 2 years, was granted 6 months
Originally requested 1-2NM radius, was granted 0.5NM (which means I have to submit another request to get to the edge of the airspace)
Originally request flight up to 200FT AGL and was granted the same
Submitted Jan 10, 2017, approved Feb 13, 2017

Very, very happy about this. It also gives me some guidelines to follow when requesting additional authorizations when it comes to approval radius, flight height, length, etc...

• Like 1

Gee whiz, one of the strongest threads in the forum. Really appreciate everyone's participation and note sharing. This is why I love this forum. Team work makes the dream work!

Well, I can add to this.  I just had my night waiver "disapproved".  I really thought I gave them everything necessary but apparently not.  So we shall resubmit!  The main thing here is that at least they are disapproving waivers so not sure what that all means. 

5 minutes ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Well, I can add to this.  I just had my night waiver "disapproved".  I really thought I gave them everything necessary but apparently not.  So we shall resubmit!  The main thing here is that at least they are disapproving waivers so not sure what that all means. 

Would you share the details. Here's mine...Approved last year but due to equipment problems did my first night flight last night. The campus cop loved it...DJI_0015.thumb.JPG.05dc5fd7b15b22570ed3c

NIGHT WAIVER APPL.pdf

107W-2016-00350_night waiver.pdf

Edited by Uaviator53
  • Like 2

I would be happy to - heading down to JAX in a few minutes - shopping then dinner then concert - and back late tonight.  Will get it out in the am for sure.

I got another airspace authorization for Class D airspace today. The irony was, they returned the wrong paperwork to me and there were mistakes on the approval. They called it Class D airspace on first page and on last page they called it Class C. However, they worked to get me a revised version in the same afternoon after I asked about it! That was pretty cool...

• Like 1

My apologies to @Uaviator53.  Last week, after receiving my FAA Waiver disapproval, I promised to post it and frankly got sidetracked and completely forgot!  So here we go.  I thought I had provided all required information and I referred to several different waiver approvals and followed thee FAA's stipulations as well as their performance based standards.  Since I used the online form to submit, I have no record of what I actually presented in my request (in order to perhaps see where I failed).  I may still be able to get that but not certain of that.  In any case here it is.

uav waiver.pdf

17 minutes ago, Ed O'Grady said:

My apologies to @Uaviator53.  Last week, after receiving my FAA Waiver disapproval, I promised to post it and frankly got sidetracked and completely forgot!  So here we go.  I thought I had provided all required information and I referred to several different waiver approvals and followed thee FAA's stipulations as well as their performance based standards.  Since I used the online form to submit, I have no record of what I actually presented in my request (in order to perhaps see where I failed).  I may still be able to get that but not certain of that.  In any case here it is.

uav waiver.pdf

No problem Ed. As usual, FAA logic escapes me. My waiver required the application to be part of the waiver and to be available on site and upon demand from FAA personnel. DUH? Applicant does not receive a copy of the application after pushing send on the website. I had to ask the feds for a copy and they sent me one. I suppose my night waiver was easy to get because it was for a small area and a completely secure (police training facility, Class G airspace).

Luis

3 minutes ago, Ed O'Grady said:

@Uaviator53, how did you actually get a printout of your original application? Was that returned to you after approval or is there another way to obtain that?

I replied to the email and pointed out the waiver requires a copy of the application. Took several weeks to get it.

application.PNG.e9ccb3f665f040c4d57e378ba99b9774.PNG

This is hard to believe but I sent an email reply to the waiver address.  I reveived my original application via email in 1 hour 43 minutes!  I will look it over later.  Same format as yours, Luis.

I would highly recommend keeping a copy of the text submitted in the boxes for future application/waiver requests. A screen capture tool like SnagIt will capture scrolling web browser windows if you are looking to grab the page contents prior to submittal, then save as an image.

For the two appprovals I've received so far, I received a copy of my application along with the approval.