DJI halts P4 production

I have not jumped on the DJI bandwagon as I build my own but if I had would be very concerned by this short life cycle. At the moment if I do buy a RTF drone I would consider the Autel Robotics X-Start Premium. I really like the removable camera/gimbal which could be upgraded while protecting my investment in the drone.

https://www.autelrobotics.com

Edited by Spitfire76
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, Uaviator53 said:

A big "up yours" from DJI...glad I didn't buy a P4. I own a P3PRO, Inspire 1 Pro, and FireFly 6. My next UAV (a few years hence)  will likely be a Yuneec.

Don't really see how this is a "big up yours" from DJI.  Now they offer a Pro model, with a much better camera, better sensor tech, larger battery for the price the P4 was introduced at about a year ago.  And they offer a "plus" model for a few hundred more.  

Looks like an annual upgrade path on a consumer product, pretty standard business.  

They now have a consumer (Mavic), higher end consumer / pro-sumer (Phantom 4 pro), Prosumer (Inspire 2), mid-pro (inspire 2 with X5S) and professional with the larger Matrice 600.A pretty well developed line across most needs. While also starting to build AG and Industrial solutions.  

• Like 1

We'll agree to disagree. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who purchased a new Phantom 3 Pro just  last year. If they stopped selling the P3 now , how long you think it will be before you can't find any parts. P4 owners are just about to get the same treatment. Just because P4 owners are all warm and fuzzy with their new bird, doesn't mean it will last. Let's see what happens to those fuzzy feelings when the P4 is dropped for the "next best thing."

I have no problem with new and improved products; but when I buy a new PC I don't have to buy a new mouse, monitor, printer or external drive.

Look at what DJI did to Inspire 1 Pro owners. The X5 camera and the XT FLIR do not interface with the new Inspire 2. How's that for a "big up yours." Not a big deal for those with deep pockets, sadly, I am not one.. I am also not naive about businesses making a profit with mercenary take-no-prisoners tactics. I just like to be kissed before.....well, you know :x

I understand where you are coming from, but those are consumer platforms, yes you don't have to buy a new keyboard and mouse but those PC's are made my dozens of different manufacturers, in a mature industry with standards that are shared across the board and by consortiums that create the standards.  

I was an an Inspire 1 Pro owner, how did I feel about the Inspire 2?  Great.  HUGE leap forward, I sold the Inspire 1 Pro for a good price and moved to the 2.  Which now shoots much better video and stills, and gets me into shoot CinemaDNG and ProRes (wasn't before) at a lower price point with better technology.  Not a bad price.  For those that have invested in the XT FLIR many of them are not looking to move on, and if they are then they're business is dictating it like mine was to have reason and the customer base to move to the I2.

To me your statement of "Put yourself in the shoes of someone who purchased a new Phantom 3 Pro just last year" isn't really a strong argument for them moving on too fast, the Phantom 3 Pro was released Jan 2013, that's 4 years ago.  That's a very long time in terms of fast moving technology.   

Edited by Bill Nichols
  • Like 1

I am not a Luddite, owned my first computer in 1984(TRS-80), nor am advocating a return to paper airplanes.  W/o progress we stand still.

Just making a point about customer loyalty and support. This company doesn't seem to put a premium on that. The XT is a major investment for public safety agencies and for that kind of money it should be adaptable to any UAV in the DJI family, or at least the Inspire line for at least a while. Think about the agencies that purchased the I1 w/ XT and now want to expand their fleet with the newest and "bestest" Inspire2, logically assuming their XT can we used with their newest bird?  Surprise! I can hear a huge collective WTF? These folks don't have unlimited budgets.

The XT came out in 2016, I2 in 2017- and the XT and X5 are already incompatible? I certainly do not expect DJI to continue to support  F550 Phantoms1 and 2 into the 22nd century but  a couple of years is not unreasonable.

For those with lots of money to purchase the newest toys, no big deal, I suppose. Govmn't agencies not so much.

Edited by Uaviator53
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Leighton Trent Fuller said:

Fair statement if you're not in the specialty area this entails.  But their answer to this was the M200 series.  A much smarter solution than the Inspire series for commercial, industrial and government sectors for those looking for an integrated platform with minimal setup.

As I clearly stated, I am not against progress. I am against companies not treating their customers right. That's all.

I see this as a no brainer.  I am surprised it took them this long to kill the P3A/P line.  Now with the Mavic the P4 is almost useless.  Yeah camera purests, I agree that the P4 camera is better than the cell phone on the Mavic, but not to the level for the target market which is the average consumer who buys point and shoots over 5D's, D800's and other like systems. If you know what you are doing you can get good shots with a Mavic.  Considering 5 years we were all lugging DSLR's like 5DMKII's in the air for 1080 footage this is not bad.

None of these legacy Phantom systems fit anymore in the standard product lineup.  The P4 was not that impressive.  It was just an update IMO to the P3P.  The P4 Pro is light years ahead of the P4 in terms of flight control and camera.  My thought is that the P4 is still built around the Naza 2 whereas the P4 Pro is built around the Naza 3 which is probably why they had a limited run on these.  They used the P4 as a surrogate for the pro model.  Anyone who had a P3P would not have benefited that much by upgrading to the 4.  The way I see it it makes sense.  The Mavic is now the high end consumer drone. The P3 Standard makes sense to leave it alone as the basic entry consumer drone.  The P4 Pro is the entry level prosumer to high end consumer drone replacing the Inspire 1 X3. The Inspire 2 X4S will be the entry to mid level prosumer drone.  The Inspire 2 X5S with both licenses for DNG and PR is a mid to high level professional drone for serious cinematography.  The M600 is just short of being at the tier of high end professional drones compared to models like the Freefly Alta 8.  Although it is a close second IMO.  My only issue with the M600 is that I don't trust 6 rotors carrying $100k of Alexa mini and Zeis glass on board.  Even though they designed the 6 motor to handle a motor failure it spins whereas an 8 won't.  That's the only thing missing from the lineup is an Alta 8 contender. I would feel much more comfortable with an 8 rotor, preferably an X8 coaxial.  Also I would like the X5S to be compatible to the M600 or future platforms, there is something nice about 40 minutes on the X5R on an M600.

TBH I would not be disappointed if they killed the Phantom entirely.  Its an outdated platform.  You cant do as much with it as an Inspire.  The P4P will never be able to do a max speed shot with the camera at the horizon without the props in the shot.  I think they need an update on the frame where the camera is not directly under the frame.  It would make sense if the new systems have the collapsible form factor of the Mavic. They have to be considering the Autel's next model will have dual op capability with retractable.  So something like an Inspire lite might be in order, front loaded camera with retracts.  I would not surprised to see a Phantom 5 in the same form factor, but will be dual op with retracts to compete with Autel. 

• Like 1
On 3/22/2017 at 0:29 AM, Uaviator53 said:

Look at what DJI did to Inspire 1 Pro owners. The X5 camera and the XT FLIR do not interface with the new Inspire 2. How's that for a "big up yours." Not a big deal for those with deep pockets, sadly, I am not one.. I am also not naive about businesses making a profit with mercenary take-no-prisoners tactics. I just like to be kissed before.....well, you know :x

That is a sort of sore spot with me.  I got an I1 RAW in July to compliment my I1 Pro.  I was not too thrilled to see the I2 X5S come out this soon.  If I had a Chrystal ball I would have waited till the I2 came out, although I work in film so having RAW DNG is crucial so I had no choice to get an X5R system.  I can fly RED's but not as robust as the Inspire for the more risky shots.  Luckily I was able to make the money on the I1 RAW so getting the I2 should be a longer term system.  I have the means to get the I2, but was hoping to hold on to 8 grand for a little longer.  The funny thing is I am too upset that the I1 pro is not compatible I will use it still for short budget stuff.  The I1 RAW or the M600 will end up being a backup bird in the fleet.

Hi my named is Les, I was thinking of the P4 to upgrade from my Advanced. I fly for a hobby. Does anyone out there suggest that it would be a mistake for me to purchase because of DJI's discontinuing of the P4? To upgrade to the P4 Pro I would be wasting my money. Someone mentioned the AUTEL X-START PREMIUM. Thanks. Les

13 hours ago, Les said:

Hi my named is Les, I was thinking of the P4 to upgrade from my Advanced. I fly for a hobby. Does anyone out there suggest that it would be a mistake for me to purchase because of DJI's discontinuing of the P4? To upgrade to the P4 Pro I would be wasting my money. Someone mentioned the AUTEL X-START PREMIUM. Thanks. Les

I don't if it would be a mistake.  You might want to wait a while as the price of remaining stock will go down.  You may even get a better deal finding it used or DJI referb. A lot of people are dumping them for the Mavic.  For the money you may want to look at the Autel.  I have never used one, but it seems like its owners are content with them.  The Autel camera is fairly similar to the P4. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is unacceptable. Been using my P4 since it came out with no problems for months. Because of no work, it has sat in a corner the last couple of months. I have 2 jobs this week, the app no longer works and the new app won't download onto any of my devices. iPad4, mini 4 or iPhone 4. Is my P4. Now a $1500 doorstop? Any work-arounds? The original app no longer has P4 as a choice. Ridiculous, DJI. 

Edited by hav3atps

Will never buy DJI again. Any company who makes a customer spend $1500 on a product than backs out on support down to the most basic level of providing a simple app to use it is in no way a reputable company. If it wasn't for a third party app making it possible to continue using my P4, it would quickly have become nothing but an expensive doorstop. And even nowm I still don't have control of sensitivity on controls etc, Unacceptable..

Edited by hav3atps