leyrerwa

Student Build Project Recommendation?

Greetings,

I'll keep this short........

I am looking for recommendations for a practical first-timer student DIY drone kit.

I have 30 electronics technology center students that are a combination of high school juniors and seniors with "store-bought" drone interaction and introductory level flying experience.

I would like to take them to the next level of understanding and appreciation of the components encompassing a drone (quad) and I believe that the hands-on experience attained through the complete assembly process would serve to greatly enhance that understanding.

I did mention this would be a school/student endeavor so obviously budget is going to be key and $300-$500 kits are simply be out of the question even using 2-3 student member teams per build project. I'm hoping to bring this in at $200 - $250 per unit (anything over $250 becomes a school inventory item which would be a nightmare).

I would greatly appreciate any input folks are willing to provide including whether or not this idea is even feasible considering the budget constraints?

Clear Skies,

Edited by leyrerwa

@leyrerwa There are some inexpensive flight controllers out there but if you want to make the project more interesting and have the UAVs capable of autonomous flight I would recommend one that can run http://ardupilot.org. The students would need access to laptops that could be used as ground stations but I am thinking that they could be equipped with an inexpensive game controller eliminating the cost of classic RC equipment by using regular WiFi although the range would not be as good. It would be good to have a camera and maybe an inexpensive solution would be a Raspberry Pi zero  + picamera and no gimbal to stream live video back to the laptop over the same wifi. I'll do some further research but with this approach I believe its feasible to keep within your budget.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 2

Greetings,

Good information can NEVER arrive too late!!

The Flight Test STEM curriculum looks very good and is definitely worth deeper investigation!!

Thank you so very much for not forgetting about us!!

Clear Skies,

Bill L.

• Like 1