mccphotos

Adding UAV to my Photography Business

I have been a pro photographer for over 25 years and want to expand my business with a drone. With so many on the market I'm a little lost as to were to start with a purchase. I plan to use the drone for Wedding, construction, and some portrait. So quality is important. low light not really a issue. Can anyone help with a good starting point to add to my already existing business?

Welcome to the forum @mccphotos.  Assuming you are in the US, the first thing you will need to do is obtain your Part 107 Certificate from FAA. That is, unless you already have it!  The industry is changing at a pace so fast that by the time you have completed studying, scheduling your test, and gotten your certificate there will be a slew of new models I'm sure.  Certainly the DJI Phantom 4 Pro is a great product but there are many others.  I am not a photographer by trade so others may chime in with suggestions here.  Good luck to you.

With your profession you will want to see what camera you want to use and then probably work backwards from there on what platform handles it and the size.  Large cameras can be held by the m600, but its huge and would be best for open areas.  Everyone utilizes the phantoms, but for a professional I would at least try for the Inspire.  It's a bit more expensive, but my perception if I was a client was that you take it more serious than someone who has a phantom. 

There are more out there than DJI products I just don't know much about them yet.  Maybe someone else can chime in.

Please be aware that Part 107 which allows you to operate sUAS for business, prohibit flight over Humans. Even though you can request a waiver, the FAA is not handing these out yet. Please consider this before use at weddings, where there are generally lots and lots of Humans!