Phone Discussion with local FSDO agent - Long Beach, CA

Well...  This post started out very differently than it is now, but that is due to a second, follow up call I received.

I had an excellent initial phone call with a guy at my local FSDO, Kevin Doty, about airspace clearance authorization process. I had called on Tuesday Jan 31, 2017 to look into whether or not a site was clear of Class D airspace (more on that here). He returned my call just now and collaborated with me on this location, but then the call took a different turn as he started to elaborate on the interpretation of Part 107.41, operation in certain airspace. In his follow up phone call, he confirmed what we all seem to understand in that for any airspace clearance authorization, we need to fill out the form on the FAA website. We had a very good discussion and he was unaware of many of the frustrations we have about the approval process. He said he would bring it up for discussion during the next weekly call he is on where people from all FSDO across the country get on to discuss things. In the end, he offered to follow up for me on a request I've had out there since November 2016 - pretty cool I thought.

On that note, I encourage you to reach out to your local FSDO and TALK with someone there, if possible. Ask them if they are aware of the current approval process on the webpage and if they are, ask them if they are aware of the frustrations remote pilots have with it. You might find that they are unaware of these things. Perhaps this will raise enough awareness within the FAA to move things along faster, on the plus side, you'll have a good contact at the FAA to ensure you can fly safe. I attached a zip file containing PDFs that I extracted from each of the regional guides for each area FSDO office phone number - finding that was like finding a needle in a haystack. The more we work together on this, the better things will be for all of us.

@Alan Perlman

FSDO.zip

Hey Steve.  Yes I have spoken with my FSDO - they are in Atlanta and they cover the entire state of Georgia. They are not agents, they are Aviation Safety Inspectors, or at least my contact is and so is Kevin Doty.  They are very aware of the process, the delays, the frustration, and the road ahead (i.e., real time airspace authorizations) and they live and breathe safety. I will actually be discussing some of this with ATL-FSDO thursday am and will report back.  But again, they DO know the process, they DO know the frustration, and they are moving forward as best they can.  The guy I have dealt with at ATL-FSDO is incredible.  He knows all the nooks and crannies!  That's his speciality - maybe Kevin is more of an Air Carrier guy.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2017 at 7:03 PM, Steve Bennett said:

On that note, I encourage you to reach out to your local FSDO and TALK with someone there, if possible. Ask them if they are aware of the current approval process on the webpage and if they are, ask them if they are aware of the frustrations remote pilots have with it. You might find that they are unaware of these things. Perhaps this will raise enough awareness within the FAA to move things along faster, on the plus side, you'll have a good contact at the FAA to ensure you can fly safe.

THIS THIS THIS. Wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for sharing your experience, @Steve Bennett.

• Like 1