Joyce Crane New 900-ton crane

This is one way we use our drone, to promote something big for one of our regular clients. Joyce Crane got a new 900-ton lift capacity crane and needed to promote it. This video has been placed on their web site (which Encore Multimedia created) along with more info. The 900-tone crane is the largest mobile crane made and there are only small handful in the USA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Generally if there's an obstacle, like a crane within a certain distance to an airport or approach they will issue a NOTAM. So although its not on a sectional, it is "in the system."  

If its not in controlled airspace and no NOTAM is issued my guess is that if you remain close to the structure your probably OK to fly over it.  

Honestly, when I flew this last year, before I was certified (yes, I know, I'm bad), I didn't know that I could go above the crane. I had interpreted the "above 400' allowance" to be for permanent structures like buildings, hills or smokestacks. I fly a DJI Inspire 1 with the X3 camera and have never turned off the 400' limiter in the software. Thanks for the info guys.