Thanks for the course and the fast updates. I have a question about map accuracy, I use MME. If a police department wanted me to geomap a traffic accident scene or a crime scene but to use something a little more precise than the linear measuring tools from MME, is there another option?

• Like 1

@Uaviator53 If you wanted to get as accurate as possible, there are a few ways to go.

One way would be to process the data outside of MME, in something like Pix4D or Photoscan. Going this method, you'd also probably want to set out some ground control points (with LIDAR accurate measurements) and/or have objects you could place on the ground that you knew were of a certain size. This would increase the precision and accuracy. There are also some LIDAR pucks some are adding on to their UAVs to get more precise locations measurements while flying. 

It is definitely doable, just a matter of picking a software platform and digging into it.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Uaviator53 said:

Thanks for the course and the fast updates. I have a question about map accuracy, I use MME. If a police department wanted me to geomap a traffic accident scene or a crime scene but to use something a little more precise than the linear measuring tools from MME, is there another option?

My City's police use "Total Station" for their accident scenes. The software that comes with It has ability to be extremely precise.  However lots of 3rd party software companies make 3D scene re-creation software package to work with the data captured by the Total Station.  Such as http://www.aras360.com/products/software/modules/total-station-download.html It looks like they support.... "Some of our many supported formats include raw, csv, txt, nik, rw5, and dxf, among others. Your points can also be exported as a CSV file should you need them for use in another application."   I hope this helps.

Edited by InFlightImaging
updated information
1 hour ago, InFlightImaging said:

My City's police use "Total Station" for their accident scenes. The software that comes with It has ability to be extremely precise.  However lots of 3rd party software companies make 3D scene re-creation software package to work with the data captured by the Total Station.  Such as http://www.aras360.com/products/software/modules/total-station-download.html It looks like they support.... "Some of our many supported formats include raw, csv, txt, nik, rw5, and dxf, among others. Your points can also be exported as a CSV file should you need them for use in another application."   I hope this helps.

Thanks, yes mine too, but they still have to dodge traffic to hold the prism with back target. , I am a retired cop/accident reconstructionist. If they can cut the time and the traffic hazard they may be interested.

44 minutes ago, Uaviator53 said:

Thanks, yes mine too, but they still have to dodge traffic to hold the prism with back target. , I am a retired cop/accident reconstructionist. If they can cut the time and the traffic hazard they may be interested.

I'm not currently familiar with the software, but will start looking into it (if anyone has access to the software, I'm happy to create a fake crash site and see if you can import it!). In theory, I see no reason why should wouldn't be able to import the point cloud or final model like they do in the construction industry. 

The value in the camera they currently use, probably low cost in training. Having a UAV might be a bit higher cost and not worth the hassle. I could see fire and rescue teams using them though. 

I do think there is value here for insurance companies (or think after a natural disaster). You can capture a lot of data quickly and process later. We got vaccinated up to go to Nepal to do some mapping with Skycatch but ended up not going a while back. The next major natural disaster in the US we want to head out with supplies for those impacted and do some mapping. 

Final thought - From here forward maybe we can split up the posts into new topics, so not everything is under the welcome topic?!

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK AND EXCITEMENT!

(If there is this much interest in accidents, we will try and move things around to make this a standalone topic)

Skyview is in NC and they get a lot of good press, here is a recent accident...case study they did some LEOs

http://blog.pix4d.com/post/138215141786/hot-class-uses-drones-for-vehicle-extrication

I do not want to go on the record saying if you can get millimeter accuracy, as we typically fly much farther away. I believe that it would scale favorably.

To look at how marketable this information is, I think those interested should check out http://pointcloud.visual-law.com/ . Mark Johnson was in the SkyCatch Beta with us, and this stuff is his focus. Odds are the usage of any accident map is not necessarily to differentiate the tires used for the skid marks, but just to catalog the scene. 

For those experienced with 3d modeling, you can re-create cars and physics simulators on these accurate models. This video, is pretty darn cool. 

It took my comp 3 hours to process the 500 geotagged images (attached). How do I improve the final image?

I guess I did not understand Photoscan. I was looking for software that would allow police reconstructionists to take actual measurements from the image (measuring tools?) so they could clear the accident scene quickly and do their measuring later...

Capture.JPG

11 hours ago, Uaviator53 said:

It took my comp 3 hours to process the 500 geotagged images (attached). How do I improve the final image?

I guess I did not understand Photoscan. I was looking for software that would allow police reconstructionists to take actual measurements from the image (measuring tools?) so they could clear the accident scene quickly and do their measuring later...

Capture.JPG

Uaviator,

Thats a start! what settings did you run that on? "low" for all processes? 500 photos is a good sized photoset, and it is understandable to take you computer a few hours. Now that you have run model and verify that you have enough overlap (there are no holes in what I ma seeing), why don't you try uploading it to one of the cloud providers, I would suggest MME, and you can take measurements from their site, processed much faster than your computer could.

Also, is the... Oklahoma shape of your data correct, or did you have some images in the bottom right corner that were left out?

That's the shape of the images. I have been using MME for the last six months and their measuring tools are accurate enough for accident reconstruction. I think I'll stick with it. Or maybe not, I need to get into Photoscan a bit deeper before I  skip it. I do appreciate your help.

Edited by Uaviator53