Hello,  

My name is Marc Concialdi and I am interested in purchasing a drone and want to fly one for a business some day.  I have my Pilot's license and instrument rating and have been in aviation for years.  I have flown toy drones before, but nothing too serious.  I would like to know, which drone would be the best for me to make money with?  Are there drones out there that are diverse and can help me make money in a variety of areas?  I'd like to purchase one so I can register it with the FAA and start flying to make money as soon as possible

Hi @mconcialdi, thanks for posting.

Curious how others will respond here, but if I was in your position, I'd focus on simultaneously:

• Mastering multirotor flight. The DJI Phantom 3 Series offer good entry-level professional models and won't break the bank. Here's a comparison. I'd also look at the 3DR Solo, or the Yuneec Typhoon Series. Those all represent the most popular professional drone models for beginners on the market right now. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
  • Networking. Where do you live? Connect with local pilots ASAP and start shaking hands. I'd also start asking friends about who they know who might benefit from aerial photography / videography. The sooner you can start booking some free gigs (to gain client and pilot experience), the better.
  • Marketing. If you're serious about making money, you need to market yourself. Set up a free website, start uploading your photos and videos online, and putting yourself out there. Here's a good thread to read through: 

I have so much more I could write, but I'll throw the ball back in your court :)

What other questions do you have for us?

• Like 1

Also, along with your 333, and your pilot's license you will need to get an N-number "tail number" for your drone to fly commercially.  Your 333 will also require a 1 million dollar aircraft general liability policy to fly commercially.  Those policies run about $1200/year.  Good luck and fly safe.

46 minutes ago, gneissguy said:

Also, along with your 333, and your pilot's license you will need to get an N-number "tail number" for your drone to fly commercially.  Your 333 will also require a 1 million dollar aircraft general liability policy to fly commercially.  Those policies run about $1200/year.  Good luck and fly safe.

Not true.

Insurance is not required in the U.S...it's simply recommended by those in the industry (and a good best practice if you're operating commercially).

Correct. The feds do not get involved in your business practices and do not have the legal authority to require insurance. My commercial liability insurance is $500k. It is up to the customer to accept it or not hire me. Also, don't expect the jobs to come flooding in, it is a very slow process to build a market and convince customers they need your services.

Sorry about the mis-information.  I have been taking in so much info lately that I got my wires crossed.  The insurance requirement was from a contract requirement, not the 333.