Question so when I am mapping a construction site,  at what angle do I want my I1 X5  camera to point ?  straight down or with a bit of an upward angle.

I want to make sure to capture everything on the first flight while I am learning to map.

Thanks in advance

Ronk

• Like 1

There is a video I put up where I do a quick recap of capturing data for a model of a building (I use the 3D print of the train station and a dry erase marker). To process that data, you can feed it into Drone Deploy and it will spit a 3D model back out at you (using their structure option ideally). OR you can try using photoscan!

It doesn't matter which app you flew with, you can still process your data on either platform.

I worry I'm not fully answering your question, clarify your questions and what I'm missing and I'll try to help out more!

Far enough of way so there are distinguishing details, but not so far as to capture of bunch of subject matter (the sky) that we aren't concerned with. 

For most structure we fly manually. If you can set your camera angle on an auto mission, you can cover a large area and get good results without too much effort. 

• Like 1

Hi Lewis - Jon here, thanks for the training package, great stuff!

I'm also wondering about how to plan/fly/capture the oblique shots, particularly given Maps Made Easy goes into NADIR mode automatically to fly missions.

From the comments above - for oblique shots, I could revert to say DJI GO and fly manually to get those shots by the sounds of it.

Are you just hitting the photo button as you fly? How do you really have any control for overlap/sidelap - or is that not as important for oblique, assuming the NADIR run has covered most things? Would it help to use another package with more capability to plan waypoints & shots to help with control? Say Litchie or similar? or again - is that not really needed?

Cheers Jon

• Like 1

@jbuddz DD doesn't let you control the angle of the camera I usually just fly manually and use my judgement in terms of overlap. If you want to use waypoints with DJI you can, but I think it isn't worth the trouble. 

In theory the Pix4D app should be helpful here (they give you controls on how often it takes pictures based on movement, say a change in altitude by 3 m) but it is not reliable and I've never gotten it to work well. 

I say pick your height and get all the pictures you need there, then step down and repeat. I like going to the highest point first because when my battery gets low I'm closer to landing. 

• Like 1

@Ronk I say go do some test maps (as long as your batteries are warm enough!)!!!

Just think of all the pictures as pieces of a giant jig saw puzzle. As long as there are some features or structures in the photos, you should get something back. If all of the pieces to the puzzle are white, it wouldn't be a very fun/neat puzzle to put together. 

• Like 1

@Ronk I think DD will support your X5. I haven't tried it, but when I asked they claimed to. If you can fly with the DD app, you can still process with MME (or vice versa).

Also looks like if you hold tight, you'll get your wish:

http://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203522213-Map-pilot-not-connecting-with-Inspire-Pro

HI there, my name is Hector. 

On 7 de febrero de 2016 at 9:42 AM, Lewis@IcarusAerials said:

I'm not sure when the update was added, but it turns out you can set different camera angles in DD. Yay!

and if did in dji go app a point of interest having sequential photos would it be better for reconstructing or 3d modeling?