Mental

Newbie need to know - Wi-Fi vs Radio

OK, I'm a complete Newbie, still struggling to control a Hubsan X4 H107L, but looking to upgrade to a bigger FPV quad. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Wi-fi and the alternatives? I hope it doesn't mean that you have to be in a Wi-fi area, as the flights would normally be out in the wilds ... and using a phone to receive the FPV doesn't mean you have to have a phone signal, does it? Like I said, a complete newbie!

Anyone had experience with the M-tec Skydrone? Can't afford a Phantom :(

Hi @Mental...you're not tapping into / needing an existing WiFi network to operate. You're just sending signals over that 2.4 gigahertz frequency.

Hven't flown the M-tec Skydrone, but it's not that well-known of a model. I'd stick to the bigger, more established manufacturers. If you're looking for a bigger FPV model, have you looked at Parrot? Not as expensive as Phantom 3 (though I'd still recommend the Phantom 3), but still quite reputable.

That's good to know, Alan. Was visualizing all sorts of problems! I assume that the controller or quad generates the WiFi then?

Have looked at the Parrot range but can't really go the expensive or at least, not yet. Looking for something around the £100 mark ($150). Phantom 3 or Yooneec are dreams for the future ... I'll write to Santa about that one :)

Yes, it's WiFi technology that binds the transmitter and the receiver over a 2.4 gigahertz frequency.

Yes, you can extend the WiFi, but remember that you'll want to maintain visual line of sight while flying.