Emjay

Getting started

Hello @Emjay - I highly recommend taking the dronepilotgroundschool course - I was asking the same question that you were before taking the exam. I spent a lot of time over 2 -3 weeks prior doing self study and felt semi-confident but was somewhat nervous about some areas I was less familiar with. Once I signed up, I took a couple practice tests and was scoring in the 50-60% range. I would have failed the FAA exam which meant I would have to of paid for the FAA exam twice since you pay each time its taken. After going through all the material, I was averaging 95% on the practice exams in the online course. Passed the actual FAA exam at 87% on first try. Plus, this course fee is valid for 5 years, meaning you can refresh your brain when required to take the proficiency exam every 2 years to keep your remote pilots license current.

Welcome @Emjay YES  you want good training, Can you get it for free I am sure it is out there, but to what extent of information they provide I do not know .The course that Alan offers is a great one to use, very detailed and those that have taken the course have had a great 107 pass rate     .http://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/

You can search the forum here and see what others have said. Fly often and learn what your drone can do, read the manuals and stay on the forums to learn and ask questions.

You would do good by taking his course.

Good luck

@Emjay click on the link I posted above and it will take you to the Alan's course site.  Once you are ready to take the 107 test you need to find a location that suits you and it is called a CATS testing center, that is for all types of FAA aircraft testing. The fee is $150.00