Hello Team! I'm very curious to know the best way/methods for picture & video storage that enables access to your work seamless on any device for editing/sharing purposes. There are a lot of options out there!  Thank you in advance! :D

Thank you both for the response. I know this is mostly case to case but how much storage space do you find yourselves utilizing? Also, I've set up my Dropbox and life is much smoother now. :)

@Kyle@NWDW - I'll give you a quick rundown of what I do, this is with the caveat that I am creating a ton of video and still assets and am a firm believer that if I don't 3 copies of my data I don't truly have it backed up (3-2-1 principle below) this is part of my OCD after decades of system engineer work.

All of my work comes off the various media it captured on (RedMags, CineSSD, SD card, Cfast, codex, etc) and goes directly onto my attached storage, this is an 18TB direct attached storage.  Depending on what I am working on some of that makes it's way into various local folders and starts replicating across the LAN to a large 48TB Network attached storage.  I am generally keeping about a quarters worth of work on my local drive (assets I know I am finished with get moved off earlier) then moved off to another offline disk (which is kept at a different location) and replicated to the large NAS.

That NAS (it is a QNAP system) is replicating off to Amazon's glacial storage, for long term storage.  Luckily I have never had to retrieve from here but this is my third copy and likely my safest.  If I need to retrieve from it (I have for testing) I make a request, then hours later can start that transfer and am charged for that.   The storage itself is very cheap, cost can get high with retrieval.

This seems like overkill to some, but I have never had a client file that I needed later in the year not be available, never lost anything.   

For sharing directly with clients I will either give them assets on media or deliver through Vimeo, Dropbox or WeTransfer

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:20 AM, Bill Nichols said:

@Kyle@NWDW - I'll give you a quick rundown of what I do, this is with the caveat that I am creating a ton of video and still assets and am a firm believer that if I don't 3 copies of my data I don't truly have it backed up (3-2-1 principle below) this is part of my OCD after decades of system engineer work.

All of my work comes off the various media it captured on (RedMags, CineSSD, SD card, Cfast, codex, etc) and goes directly onto my attached storage, this is an 18TB direct attached storage.  Depending on what I am working on some of that makes it's way into various local folders and starts replicating across the LAN to a large 48TB Network attached storage.  I am generally keeping about a quarters worth of work on my local drive (assets I know I am finished with get moved off earlier) then moved off to another offline disk (which is kept at a different location) and replicated to the large NAS.

That NAS (it is a QNAP system) is replicating off to Amazon's glacial storage, for long term storage.  Luckily I have never had to retrieve from here but this is my third copy and likely my safest.  If I need to retrieve from it (I have for testing) I make a request, then hours later can start that transfer and am charged for that.   The storage itself is very cheap, cost can get high with retrieval.

This seems like overkill to some, but I have never had a client file that I needed later in the year not be available, never lost anything.   

For sharing directly with clients I will either give them assets on media or deliver through Vimeo, Dropbox or WeTransfer

Thank you for the insight Bill. That sounds like a pretty failsafe plan but I'll have to work up to that level. ha

Another question pertaining to transferring files to Dropbox- I use an SD card currently for saving video from the I2. I can go into the playback screen when I'm all wired up and powered on and the video is true and clear. Also, I can take the SD card out, put it in my computer and play the file just fine with the same clarity H.265 (1080p)mp4. I can even import the file onto my computer and get the same result. But...as soon as I upload the same file to Dropbox. The quality is poor, across all linked platforms. I've tried re-formatting the video using pavtube, then importing it to Dropbox and still a poor quality video. The file types are on the compatibility list in Dropbox so I just don't understand why it keeps importing a smaller, dressed down version of the file. Can you or anyone touch on something I need to do or may be doing wrong?

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Christian Tucci said:

I have the 1TB Dropbox Pro (think they just changed the name) plan.

Thank you for the response. I believe they just changed the name. From "Pro" to Plus

12 hours ago, Kyle@NWDW said:

Thank you for the insight Bill. That sounds like a pretty failsafe plan but I'll have to work up to that level. ha

Another question pertaining to transferring files to Dropbox- I use an SD card currently for saving video from the I2. I can go into the playback screen when I'm all wired up and powered on and the video is true and clear. Also, I can take the SD card out, put it in my computer and play the file just fine with the same clarity H.265 (1080p)mp4. I can even import the file onto my computer and get the same result. But...as soon as I upload the same file to Dropbox. The quality is poor, across all linked platforms. I've tried re-formatting the video using pavtube, then importing it to Dropbox and still a poor quality video. The file types are on the compatibility list in Dropbox so I just don't understand why it keeps importing a smaller, dressed down version of the file. Can you or anyone touch on something I need to do or may be doing wrong?

I know what is wrong... Dropbox is just terrible for streaming video. This happens to all my video as well. I think their streaming is just meant to render a low quality version since the point of dropbox is not just for hosting high quality video files that are huge. If you download the file though you still get the original high quality. I use Google Drive or another video specific platform if I need to stream video to someone.

• Like 1