Brian

Electronic Identification Network

It sounds like it works like a transponder in an airplane. If someone makes a complaint about a UAV authorities can investigate the code from the drone without the pilot knowledge. If you are flying responsibly, no problem. If not, they have your number. I'm okay with that.

So who's doing the receiving?  John Q. Public would need to buy (and pay for) the appropriate receiving equipment, would need to know how to use it and record the data, would need to be in close proximity to the a/c, and then supply that data to appropriate authorities.  I really doubt this would ever work.  Keep in mind that the folks that would be flying in a manner that would upset Mr. Public, would most likely NOT have an FAA registration number and CERTAINLY not have anything to transmit or for that matter, a transmitter in the first place.  This was a DJI paper and frankly DJI should pay a bit more to their customer service and pending class action suit than this. 

Define flying responsibly.  

DJI is doing all they can to control who flies where and when.  They took the concept of NFZ to congress, then implemented GEO fencing and are now in front of congress again trying to convince them not to make the proposed version of GEO fencing mandatory.  It's not DJI's implementation.

None of this is required by law and it doesn't make operating a drone safer.  The more likely scenario is for local municipalities to use this technology to create policies that will ultimately lead to a more restrictive environment.  

It used to be we just needed to worry about the government restricting our civil liberties, now we have to worry about Chinese toy manufacturers.  

Why would anyone think this sort of thing would be a good thing.  It would be nice if elected officials would listen to the people who use drones and create policy that is reflects reality.  

Drones are not runnning rampet in the sky's, to my knowledge there has never been a midair collision between a mans aircraft and a civil drone, and for the most part drone operators are following the rules.  There will always be the idiot that tries to use a drone for nefarious reasons, you just can't legislate stupidity.

for the most part the fledgling commercial drones one industry has a pretty good safety record.  Not sure the problem DJI is trying to solve with so many inane policies, nor do I understand why they think they're authorized to create policy?

@Av8Chuckis right on the money here.  They are creating a non working solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  And to the point about mid-air collisions, in its most recent report, the FAA noted "Although the data contain several reports of pilots claiming drone strikes on their aircraft, to date the FAA has not verified any collision between a civil aircraft and a civil drone. Every investigation has found the reported collisions were either birds, impact with other items such as wires and posts, or structural failure not related to colliding with an unmanned aircraft." I think we need ADS-B equipment for birds - that should take care of everything.

Thank you Av8Chuck and Ed O'Grady for weighing in on this. I appreciate you perspectives on this issue. I am still very new and naive about this and have a lot to learn.

18 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

@Av8Chuckis right on the money here.  They are creating a non working solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  And to the point about mid-air collisions, in its most recent report, the FAA noted "Although the data contain several reports of pilots claiming drone strikes on their aircraft, to date the FAA has not verified any collision between a civil aircraft and a civil drone. Every investigation has found the reported collisions were either birds, impact with other items such as wires and posts, or structural failure not related to colliding with an unmanned aircraft." I think we need ADS-B equipment for birds - that should take care of everything.

"I think we need ADS-B equipment for birds"

WTF MR BEAN.gif

• Like 1