Bob Weber

Drone plans

Does anyone have a simple design plan to help our club start their first build project ?  We are working with a small budget and hope to gain some knowledge and experience understanding the basic requirements.  Thanks  Bob Weber

What's your budget, Bob? What are your goals with this build? What features do you absolutely need vs. what features would you like to have if you can afford them? Need more details here...lots of build options for you but know nothing about what you guys are looking to do.

• Like 1

I am currently working on a scratch-built quad, got it from Thingiverse, a home for 3D printed projects:

Crossfire 2

It's a pretty awesome thing to build your own, but it's also NOT awesome because you end up getting lost in buying the stuff for it, keeping it within budget. I love learning how all of the components work.

And as Alan said, let us know what your plans are for the build, that will surely set your budget.

Hadn't seen Thingiverse before...this is wild!

Agree that this is a good way to walk through each moving piece of a traditional multirotor build.

About how much do you have budgeted for the Crossfire 2?

I didn't budget anything really... I knew I was going to spend some money, so I just saved, and bought as I went along. The 2 biggest things I splurged on was the Pixhawk flight controller, and the Taranis X9D Plus controller. Everything else was pretty average. And being that I have access to 4 3D printers helped a bit too!

The Pixhawk and Taranis were the most expensive parts... I could have gone way less with those. But I knew that I'd want the functionality from both, so I just went for it. The only other piece that was a little expensive was the 3DR uBlox GPS/Compass, that was about $90. All the other parts were no more than $40-$50.

• Like 1