Av8Chuck

Are Forums a Thing of the Past?

A couple of years ago drone related forums had much more traction than today.  They were starting to segregate by usage.  There were forums for hobbyists, professionals, AP, industrial inspection etc.. Forums like RCGroups for hobbyists, MultirotorForums.com for professionals had thousands of active posts daily.

What happened?  Are there fewer people interested in drones?  Have forums become a thing of the past being replaced by Facebook groups?  Are drones going the way of the 8-track tape player or the Newton? Were all the questions answered?  

It appears that that the commercial drone market is beginning to take root here in the US, wouldn't you think forums like this would be more active?  

This forum seems to go hours, if not days between posts.  I'm not putting this forum down, I like this forum, that seems to be the trend everywhere I look. 

Just curious if others find that to be the case and if so, what people think the cause might be?

I think activity depends on the forum and those that use it. Lately, I've been super busy with work and haven't been able to get into this forum as much recently. I mean, if we are flying drones, how can we be making conversation in here? ;)

21 hours ago, Steve Bennett said:

I think activity depends on the forum and those that use it. Lately, I've been super busy with work and haven't been able to get into this forum as much recently. I mean, if we are flying drones, how can we be making conversation in here? ;)

I can certainly relate to that!

Building any kind of community is challenging. To @Av8Chuck's point, I wouldn't say fewer people are interested in drones, or that FB is replacing forums, or anything like that. I just think the bar for this kind of information exchange medium is much higher than it used to be. For what it's worth, admittedly I could be doing a lot better job managing this forum, bringing on and incentivizing moderators, figuring out ways to make it grow, etc.

I agree with @Uaviator53  , (  Between UAVCoach and the others, I can't get enough. I see a lot of activity in all. )

I think at times life gets in the way of living, we all are from around the world with various backgrounds and busy with life in general. There are many of times I have so much going on that I am not on any forum for days, however when I do get on I have ALWAYS learned something from someones post. Forums to me is are team effort and only wins if there is continued involvement.

As Alan mentioned figuring out ways to make it grow, etc. that is where we ALL come in, throw out some ideas as to what you want to see here.

Please don't think that I'm suggesting this forum isn't well managed.  I've just noticed a downward trend as it relates to the number of people participating in forums.

About three years ago MultiRotorsForums.com started and its focus was on the application of drones.  There was a lot of great debate between people trying to figure out the application of drones and how to make it profitable.  That lasted a little over a year then people from forums like RCGroups started monopolize the forum with questions specifically about the drones.  

The people interested in the application of the drones disappeared, debate subsided to the point that MRF is pretty much a ghost town.    

2 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

I can certainly relate to that!

Building any kind of community is challenging. To @Av8Chuck's point, I wouldn't say fewer people are interested in drones, or that FB is replacing forums, or anything like that. I just think the bar for this kind of information exchange medium is much higher than it used to be. For what it's worth, admittedly I could be doing a lot better job managing this forum, bringing on and incentivizing moderators, figuring out ways to make it grow, etc.

People have lives, jobs, and UAV businesses to grow. There is going to be a natural ebb and flow in any forum. I am sure Ed, Steve, Alan, and others are very busy. For instance, I have been drafted by a friend (chief of police of a city of 50K) to start a police UAV unit from the ground up! select aircraft, write manual and policies, train pilots, get COA and a 101 things we haven't thought about yet. Between that, my business and my teaching,  I'll be in and out of here. The same for others. I consider this forum one of the best, well managed forums, and tolerating little nonsense. Kudos Alan.

Edited by Uaviator53

2 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Please don't think that I'm suggesting this forum isn't well managed.  I've just noticed a downward trend as it relates to the number of people participating in forums.

About three years ago MultiRotorsForums.com started and its focus was on the application of drones.  There was a lot of great debate between people trying to figure out the application of drones and how to make it profitable.  That lasted a little over a year then people from forums like RCGroups started monopolize the forum with questions specifically about the drones.  

The people interested in the application of the drones disappeared, debate subsided to the point that MRF is pretty much a ghost town.    

Yah, didn't take it like that at all! Was just playing to my own insecurities.

I wasn't a huge user of MRF or DIYDrones or some of the other big forums prior to the PhantomPilots / InspirePilots forum family hitting the scene. Those seem to be relatively active.

@Uaviator53, that's great news! What a cool gig, and the kind of thing that you can scale to other departments if interested. The demand is certainly there.

Alan, thank you for all the work and hours you have put into this forum.  You have done a fabulous job with it, IMHO, and I look forward to the future.  Congrats to Luis on landing that gig.  Nice quiet retired life out in the west!