Below is some images I received back from my Slantrange that I flew yesterday.  Highlighted areas are the weeds that are "detected."  Basically I had the settings that anything green is a weed since no planting has occurred.  It turned out fairly well with giving me a basic report on percentages of weeds in an area.  I did have some questions for their support and when I get that back I may update the screen captures with better information.

RGB_WeedDetection.JPG

20170408T182204.WEED DETECTIONS.jpg

I am flying the Matrice 100 with the SlantRange camera.  This is the product of their software Slantview.  This farmer is in question and I did this to show him why it may be useful to him.  Hopefully he will sign on for more jobs or the rest of this field :)  

A lot of farmers that I have talked with dont see a reason for it or they bought their own and don't understand fully what they are to do so they think its a gimmick.  

I will keep plugging away at them though.  Tough to break ground, but it will happen.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I flew for a farmer as soon as I downloaded the new software. I went to his corn field and tested it out - this is in September after the corn has grown. Works great and captures high quality images. These two overviews are zoomed out, but you can zoom in for greater detail. 

I will be trying to see how this sort of data can benefit farmers and sell them the service.  One potential project can be monitoring the growth of crops? Has anyone tried doing this for farmers? and If so how did you show them the benefit of new technology?

Corn2overhead.jpg

Corn1overhead.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Jac RadBit said:

I flew for a farmer as soon as I downloaded the new software. I went to his corn field and tested it out - this is in September after the corn has grown. Works great and captures high quality images. These two overviews are zoomed out, but you can zoom in for greater detail. 

I will be trying to see how this sort of data can benefit farmers and sell them the service.  One potential project can be monitoring the growth of crops? Has anyone tried doing this for farmers? and If so how did you show them the benefit of new technology?

I have a contract for the summer on two fields possibly more if it turns out to be worth it.  I just flew last weekend and it was about 15-20mph winds with gusts at 30.  Wasn't easy flights and I do believe it messed with the imagery a bit at least on the corn.  I provided two reports to the farmer and haven't heard back yet on his thoughts.  Hopefully we can both find it useful!

What you are looking at here is population density.  The blue area is where the farmer over planted his beans by 250,000/acre compared to everywhere else being around 140-150,000/ acre.  

The picture(s) on top show the difference in population by illuminating the plants in green and where there is a low population we can tell by the photo on the left compared to the overpopulated area with the picture on the right.

He had to replant the entire edge of the field so that is why there is almost no color on the edge as they are about a week and half behind.  At the time of my flight the plants were only about 2"x2" in the overpopulated area with them averaging around 1"x1" for most of the field.

• 1 month later...

Had anyone tried using thermal before, during and after irrigation?  Seeing the moist, cool morning soil in dark purple change as the day heats up is pretty interesting.  I have shown a farmer shots (12) taken progressively throughout the day and before/after irrigation.  It shows how long water stays moist towards the ground level with his soil type and terrain, and even the shadows from neighboring trees.  This saves him hundreds of dollars realizing that certain parts of his soil were consistently drier and hotter while other spots stayed cool even between watering.  He then customized his automated system to deliver less h2o to the spots that don't need it, and put what he was wasting into the driest and rockier/sandy soil that was (upon stacking the images from the day) typically in the most need.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2017 at 4:17 PM, Ryan Wesley Deremo said:

Had anyone tried using thermal before, during and after irrigation?  Seeing the moist, cool morning soil in dark purple change as the day heats up is pretty interesting.  I have shown a farmer shots (12) taken progressively throughout the day and before/after irrigation.  It shows how long water stays moist towards the ground level with his soil type and terrain, and even the shadows from neighboring trees.  This saves him hundreds of dollars realizing that certain parts of his soil were consistently drier and hotter while other spots stayed cool even between watering.  He then customized his automated system to deliver less h2o to the spots that don't need it, and put what he was wasting into the driest and rockier/sandy soil that was (upon stacking the images from the day) typically in the most need.

I would like to, but currently I don't have the customer base to afford a proper thermal camera