kenjancef

My quad build just about done...

So after 3 months of 3D printing, parts gathering, and continued configuration, I think I am FINALLY just about done with my build. It's a Crossfire 2 from the Thingiverse web site.

Here is the parts list:

Parts list:
Pixhawk flight controller
FrSky X8R
Lumenier 30A ESC with SimonK
SunnySky V2216-12 KV800 II motors
HQ 11x4.5 props (not mounted...)
Turnigy 500Mwh 4S battery
3Dr GPS/Compass
ImmersionRC 600mW video Tx
600tvl FPV camera
FrSky FRVSS Battery sensor
FrSky Variometer sensor
Taranis X9D Plus radio controller with OpenTX

At one point I did get it off the ground in my basement up about a foot, but fearing a horrific crash I quickly brought it back down.

Some pics...

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Edited by kenjancef

I did actually, this afternoon...

The flight went well... for a while... lol... I was making sure to be VERY careful with it, it handles SO MUCH harder than a Phantom. After getting it off the ground, I found out (almost the hard way...) that the Pixhawk has a weird issue that, in effect, reverses the Elevator (channel 2). When you move the stick forward, your quad should go forward, same as if you pull the stick back, the quad should go backwards. Well... the default for the Pixhawx is reversed. So I had to fly it that way for the whole 2 minute flight. The bad (well, could have been MUCH worse) part of the flight was that as I was bringing it down, it was about 2-3 feet off the ground, and something made the quad just do a total 180 degree flip and hit the ground. Two things helped me: I was very close to the ground, and the ground was a muddy baseball infield. If the ground was hard and dry, or if the quad was higher, it'd be all over. I think I might have a bad motor connection, I'll have to re-solder the connectors.

i found out how to reverse the elevator on my Taranis controller, which I just did, but not sure when I'll get to take it out again.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! lol...

• Like 1

Mine is using the APM 2.6 board but runs the same software as the Pixhawk although as this board has now been retired (like me!) the latest build I can install is 3.2.1 but it seems to work just fine. In addition to the elevator I also had to invert the rudder channel on my Taranis in order for left stick to make it rotate anti-clockwise and right stick clockwise. This also had the effect of reversing the arming but no big deal.

Edited by Spitfire76

Wow, that's funny... No, for me left/right was still good, just forward/reverse was backwards. Had to order a new motor, so can't fly till it comes in. Supposed to be pretty crappy weather here for most of the week anyway...

5 minutes ago, Ubiquity Interface said:

Hi I was wondering if you would be interested in joining me in building my quad copter. If you will do it for fees, let me know.

Not sure what you mean by "joining you". I don't mind helping out if you have questions... not even sure where you are located...

• Like 1

Oh, sorry Kenjancef, I am located in Arlington, Texas. I am one  of eight team members working on a quad-copter for an indiegogo campaign. Five of us are in located here in the US and three abroad. I noticed you mentioned  3D printing in your post, we were exploring 3D printing our parts, is it possible to 3D print all parts for a quad copter, which parts do you think one should 3D printed and which parts should be ordered?

I like your description about  quad copter development process and interested in knowing if you have time in working in our project as part of our team. Attached, please find photo of our team member.

1 Ubiquity Interface Inc.' Administrative Team Photo.jpg

6 hours ago, Ubiquity Interface said:

Oh, sorry Kenjancef, I am located in Arlington, Texas. I am one  of eight team members working on a quad-copter for an indiegogo campaign. Five of us are in located here in the US and three abroad. I noticed you mentioned  3D printing in your post, we were exploring 3D printing our parts, is it possible to 3D print all parts for a quad copter, which parts do you think one should 3D printed and which parts should be ordered?

I like your description about  quad copter development process and interested in knowing if you have time in working in our project as part of our team. Attached, please find photo of our team member.

1 Ubiquity Interface Inc.' Administrative Team Photo.jpg

I sent you a private message...

• Like 1

So I changed the landing gear on my quad, I think it looks a lot better. Still haven't had a chance to fly it yet, weather here in New England has been VERY crazy lately. I still have a few small tweaks to do with it anyway...

IMG_0466.JPG

• Like 1