Legal aerial photo of Dodger staduim?

Kirk

I'm certainly not an attorney but I agree with @Uaviator53 that you may not need the stadium owner's permission.  However, in the case of the NY skyline example, that would include the major view of a city and not a particular building.  A better comparison might be a shot of the Empire State Building vs the shot of Dodger Stadium.  Actually I found a legal discussion of all this  here at

http://www.jjkaufman.com/copyrights-in-buildings/ which discusses legal copyrights of buildings.  Read it and form your opinion as to how to proceed and whether to discuss with an attorney.  The whole issue may be more complicated than meets the eye.

If you're not a commercial part 107 pilot, you would not be able to "sell" the image "legally", regardless of any property permissions. Aside from that, a hobbyist photo of Dodger Stadium would be subject to the FAA rules for drone hobbyist flights and require you to notify any airport, helipad or seaport within 5 miles of that location. I shudder to thing of how many helipads are in that area being so close to downtown LA and all the helipads on high-rise rooftops.

Kirk said he is commercial 107. No notification is required but you are right, that looks like a dicey area to fly. It would be a good idea in such a busy area to visit and observe flight patterns in advance to get a sense of the airspace; and I always notify heliports/police chopper operators/air ambulances, etc.,  if I'm close to their pads. Looks like Kirk may pass this anyway.

oh snap, my bad, I missed read his second post and thought it read "not" P107 cert.

Yeah, its a very very busy airspace. I wouldn't fly without a dedicated VO and a NOTAM filed via 1800wxbrief a minimum of 48 hours in advance.

Also, being semi familiar with the terrain there, I'm skeptical how you would get a decent shot of the stadium without going onto their property since it sits on a hill that has to be higher than 400ft...

• 3 years later...
On 4/16/2017 at 5:53 PM, Uaviator53 said:

Perhaps someone else can jump in here. I don't really know but my gut feeling is you do not need permission any more than a photographer shooting the New York skyline needs permission from every owner of each skyscraper (?). Don't really know...

I think you just need to have your part 107 registration to sell but as for taking a photo you can just fly over it ensuring you are within the guidelines. I believe no higher than 400 feet and get clearance prior from Burbank airport since you will be around their normal flight pattern traffic