I generally shoot video everywhere I go.  I spent a day and a half at AUVSI and shot this while walking around between the meetings.  Its simply some video vignettes edited to music to give someone who has never attended this show what it might be like.

There's a lot of drone's...

• Like 2

Thanks.  

I did enjoy my stay.  Gave me the opportunity to stay with my wife's college roommate's family and they were great hosts showing me around.

I thought the trade show itself was well managed but had a bit of an identity crisis, was it a military show?  A commercial show?  A lot of the payloads were being developed for gov't programs through SBIR grants so a lot of them were too heavy and expensive for "commercial" operators.

Many of the drones were well above the under 55 pound weight restriction here in the US.  Even given the fact that this is an international show I'd think I most were too heavy.

did anyone else attend this event?  Would like to start a discussion about it but wasn't sure if I should post the video here or start a non video thread.

58 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

I thought the trade show itself was well managed but had a bit of an identity crisis, was it a military show?  A commercial show?  A lot of the payloads were being developed for gov't programs through SBIR grants so a lot of them were too heavy and expensive for "commercial" operators.

Many of the drones were well above the under 55 pound weight restriction here in the US.  Even given the fact that this is an international show I'd think I most were too heavy.

With anything to do regarding aviation you will have a military presence. I noticed that with NBAA as well. There were always military helicopters at the business show. Most of the associated technology could also have civil applications...mostly law enforcement. Just another chance for them to show and tell.

Are you in Texas?

I understand DoD contractors looking for greener pastures, but since most of their technology was developed for a different application, in the commercial market they're a bit of a solution in search of a problem.  This can have really adverse effects on small companies trying to build purpose built solutions for commercial applications.

That's also true of the consumer electronic companies who are trying to repurpose their toys for commercial work.  It was a bit of a surprise at how many payload developers who had DJI M600's as part of their display's asked if they could replace them with our drones.  I don't like DJI so I'm openly biased against them, but the amount of "anti" DJI sentiment at this show was palpable.  I didn't expect that.

I'd like to hear from others who attended to get their take on the show.  One thing I found really odd was that JI had one of the bigger booths with an assortment of M200's, a M600 and a couple of I2's, but the only drone I saw them demonstrating was the MAVIC.   

Kind of like going to an NHRA race with a Prius?

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

Are you in Texas?

I'd like to hear from others who attended to get their take on the show.  One thing I found really odd was that JI had one of the bigger booths with an assortment of M200's, a M600 and a couple of I2's, but the only drone I saw them demonstrating was the MAVIC.   

I live about 20 minutes north of DFW. I was going to attend and had a free pass for the expo but work gets in the way. Maybe next year.

4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

...One thing I found really odd was that JI had one of the bigger booths with an assortment of M200's, a M600 and a couple of I2's, but the only drone I saw them demonstrating was the MAVIC.   

xD more like going with a Japanese kei car...

Why not start a discussion in the Pilots lounge and link back to this thread for the video? I'm sure others that went will chime in. If you'd prefer, I can move this thread over to the pilots lounge...

@Av8Chuck Liked the video. I agree it looks like the conference really didn't know what to be. After watching the video I think it was the military stuff that stuck out the most.

QUESTION: Is that a young Bill Nye the Science Guy at 2:14!!!

Great video!  Did appear to be a lot of military and way out of "normal" commercial affordability.  That copter with what appeared to be a liquid payload is interesting for Agriculture, but I am assuming wants topped off it would be over the 55lbs.  

Gotta love regulations that prevent innovation.

2 hours ago, R Martin said:

Interesting article, sort of.  

Not sure how much people want to talk about this sort of thing.  I find it interesting so I don't mind putting it out there but it would be great to have a discussion about the future of the sUAS market in general. Trouble is it almost always evolves to a discussion of my drone is better than your drone.  If people understood how and why the commercial sUAS market started, what influenced where it is today, it might certainly help those trying to plan for the future.

But it needs to be more of a discussion about the industry rather than how much does an operator charge to fly a mission sort of thing.  This is a macro discussion that will undoubtedly involve politics, market forces, the influence of differing technologies, company policies and federal regulations.   

AUVSI is a great example of an organization that says one thing but does another.  They talk about representing the commercial sUAS market but less than 10% of that conference was geared towards that market.  The majority of the products, product development and businesses representing those products are funded by the DoD and SBIR grants etc.. The messaging of this year and next years XPONENTIAL is targeted at all the people who are already represented at the show.  So AUVSI's influence on the commercial sUAS industry is not likely to change much.

AUVSI and the organizations it represents had almost nothing to do with the creation of the sUAS market.   This market didn't come out of the DoD, nor did it come out of RC.  It "happened" as a result of a confluence of technologies, the internet, the democratization of cell phone technology, open source development, and economic conditions that led to the underutilized of manufacturing.  It literally became a maker community.  

AUVSI and a host of others, had no influence over the development of this community, as a result their influence in this emerging industry is diminutive.    

Edited by Av8Chuck

1 minute ago, Av8Chuck said:

AUVSI is a great example of an organization that says one thing but does another.  They talk about representing the commercial sUAS market but less than 10% of that conference was geared towards that market.  The majority of the products, product development and businesses representing those products are funded by the DoD and SBIR grants etc.. The messaging of this year and next years XPONENTIAL is targeted at all the people who are already represented at the show.  So AUVSI's influence on the commercial sUAS industry is not likely to change much.

AUVSI and the organizations it represents had almost nothing to do with the creation of the sUAS market.   This market didn't come out of the DoD, nor did it come out of RC.  It "happened" as a result of a confluence of technologies, the internet, the democratization of cell phone technology, open source development, and economic conditions that led to the underutilized of manufacturing.  It literally became a maker community.  

AUVSI and a host of others, had no influence over the development of this community, as a result their influence in this emerging industry is diminutive.    

What the article says to me is that the defense industry has seen the light and is trying to carve out a commercial share of their own by repurposing military hardware and sensor technology. 

AUVSI, HAI, and the rest do not represent the sUAS market but they at least recognize the potential and are trying to include the small operators (and add to their coffers). They do represent established industries/consortiums that do have a viable chunk of the marketplace be it commercial or defense...the two sides are linked and spillover from one benefits and tends to drive the other.

The sUAS 55 pound weight limit really thins the herd. (Pun intended).  There wasn't much at that convention that could be used for commercial sUAS.

The commercial drone industry is getting squeezed from both sides, the DoD from above and DJI from the bottom.  Commercial operators need an organization like AUVSI or AOPA to help fend off attacks from local municipalities regarding regulatory issues and market pressure from consumer electronics companies.