amunocis

Newbie here, is Phantom 3 Standard a good option?

Hello there!

I would like to ask you about the model DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I'm a newbie on drones, and I would like to start flying a decent machine but no spending too much for the start. Could you guide me on this please?

Thank you!!

I will be doing more recreational flights, hoping to learn all about aerial video and photography (I'm a photographer). After that I hope to buy a better drone maybe in 1 or 2 years (probably early).

I'm checking right now that model, but maybe other is better for a similar price. Or maybe the same model in a bundle or something?

Thanks for your answers guys!

That's really good bang for your buck as far as introductory / prosumer drone models go. Your next step up would likely be something like the DJI Mavic Pro. After that, the DJI Phantom 4 Pro, then the DJI Inspire 1 Pro. If you're budget conscious and just looking to get your feet wet knowing you may upgrade to a new system at some point, the Phantom 3 Standard can take you a long way. Hope that helps!

absolutely! I was reading some reviews and checking some videos and it seems to be the best choice right now. I think I'll go for it on Amazon. Should I buy the basic kit or get something like a bundle?

I'd price it out. You might not need everything in the bundle, but could also save you a lot of time doing research on the different accessories. I bought the Mavic bundle as an example and didn't need the travel bag it came with but use everything else pretty regularly. Amazon is good about showing retailers who bundle, but DJI has a few bundles as well directly on their site sometimes.

• Like 1

I'm checking a bundle for $549 with a case, more memory, filters, propeller set, but it doesn't have good reviews (lol). I think I'll buy the drone alone as it comes, and I will buy the rest later, if I need them

21 hours ago, amunocis said:

I'm checking a bundle for $549 with a case, more memory, filters, propeller set, but it doesn't have good reviews (lol). I think I'll buy the drone alone as it comes, and I will buy the rest later, if I need them

More batteries are always a good addition. The flight time per battery is pretty limited (15-18 minutes on a good day). A charger that will handle multiple batteries at once is always a plus for larger shoots. A case is a smart move. A larger (and faster) SD or micro-SD would be a good addition as well.

• Like 1

Just an opinion. the Standard is a very good option for a starter, but..............the only thing I would throw out there is for just a bit more you can get into an Advanced or P3P. Actually I would suggest the Advanced. Reasons: The standard uses WiFi for signal and the Advanced uses Lightbridge Technology which is a game-changer as far a signal strength and distance. All 3- have same flight times and batteries are identical as far as that goes, but the Advanced also has 2.7K video available. Yes the P3P has the 4K, but not worth the extra especially for the average user just getting their feet wet. Again, for just a hundred bucks or so more,  you can upgrade to a much better package regarding your distances, controller, etc. If that is not of any concern, the Standard is a good option for sure. Actually, if you look on Ebay, you can find the Advanced used with many times a lot of extras for $500-$650.

• Like 1

How much flying experience do you have? If the answer is zero, I would recommend also getting a good flight simulator like RealFlight. It will save you a lot of money in virtual crashes in the long run.

I started out with a $50 drone before I tried to fly my cousin's phantom 4 and it really helps because the cheap drone is actually harder to fly than the expensive ones. I got a lot of crashes but thankfully the drone is still surviving. Now I'm just saving up to get my own P4 cause I can only borrow his during saturday.

Great topic... I'm kinda like OP here, and researching my options.

Being in Serbia makes it harder though... 😀