Av8Chuck

Property Videos: Past, Present & Future

I don't do many property videos.  I recently agreed to shoot one for a neighbor.

I think its a fascinating business and would be really challenging to do it well, profitably.  I'm not sure I could accomplish that.  I'm posting these for several reasons, I'm proud of the work we do, I'm interested in what others think, and probably most importantly I'd like to start a thread where people don't simply criticize but share their experiences so that as a community we can figure out better, more economical ways to produce this sort of video.  There more to this challenge than just the drone, photography, cinematography, color correcting, editing and delivering.  So there's ample opportunity to discuss technique etc..

This is the latest, this house hasn't been lived in for quite some time and it is mostly empty, so it was a challenge to make it look interesting.  

Because I did this for a friend, I experimented a bit with different camera's and drones.  For the aerial I used a GH4, Autel and a MAVIC.  I'll leave it to you to see if you can determine which is which.  On the ground I used a Canon 5D3 and Panasonic GH4.

This was my sisters house from four years ago.

This is my first property video. 

What started me thinking about this thread was this:  https://platinumhd.tv/?c=aa5b43e44f  If your into producing property videos you should really check out their Showcase, they do some amazing property videos.  Also. here's an interesting Blog/resource for photographers trying to make a go of producing property videos: http://photographyforrealestate.net/

Hopefully those interested in learning and sharing ideas how to build a business in real estate will provide feedback and insights on how your doing.  Also, I don't produce property videos for a living.  Occasionally I have the opportunity to shoot them and thought I would share my thoughts and experience.  I have no agenda, I'm not selling these properties or anything else.  If people want to talk honestly about what works, what doesn't and what can be improved then lets make this a thread for that kind of discussion. 

• Like 1

Great work @Av8Chuck, appreciate you putting yourself out there to share with folks. You've got a really nice style. Complex shoot with a lot of different shots / equipment. Anyone serious about property marketing could learn a lot from just this initial post, I hope others will comment as well with their experiences and questions.

Is there a time limit on editing a post?  

I 'd like to replace the first video with this shorter version:

Thanks.  You can delet the duplicate if you like.

Too bad this didn't help start a discussion about this type of work.

People might be intimidated with how good your video is :)

But seriously, with where this forum is at right now, it's hit or miss with threads like this. Sometimes something will strike a chord (usually regulatory-related topics!), other times not so much. Hopefully over time with continued improvements and incremental growth we'll see more activity. Appreciate your AMAZING amount of engagement these last several weeks. Happy to have you in here.

People shouldn't be intimidated by others work.  There's always someone better.  Did you have the chance to check out the Platinum HD property videos?  

They are awesome, I would love to be that good, but I'm more inspired than intimidated.  Unfortunately over the last two years it seems people in forums only want to complain about things they can't do anything, or are unwilling to do something about.  

7 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

People shouldn't be intimidated by others work.  There's always someone better.  Did you have the chance to check out the Platinum HD property videos?  

They are awesome, I would love to be that good, but I'm more inspired than intimidated.  Unfortunately over the last two years it seems people in forums only want to complain about things they can't do anything, or are unwilling to do something about.  

Wholeheartedly agree.

Ha! I missed the Platinum HD video link for some reason and just watched it. The villa video. My favorite part is when he waves at the distant yacht and says something about how many friends he has. Looked at their showcase as well and saw use of Matterport. I haven't seen that technology up close yet but know a handful of brokers who use it and LOVE IT. About $4,000 plus a monthly license, but it's apparently really easy to use, and the results are phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Alan Perlman said:

Wholeheartedly agree.

Ha! I missed the Platinum HD video link for some reason and just watched it. The villa video. My favorite part is when he waves at the distant yacht and says something about how many friends he has. Looked at their showcase as well and saw use of Matterport. I haven't seen that technology up close yet but know a handful of brokers who use it and LOVE IT. About $4,000 plus a monthly license, but it's apparently really easy to use, and the results are phenomenal.

I know a guy at a construction company that has been using matterport for a while and doing some pretty neat stuff. Works great if you don't need your scan registered to world coordinates.

Matterport [the hardware] appears to be an automated Pano head/camera.  $4k is a bit steep for that and do you know what the monthly license fee is?

Steve, do you think many people would need model to be GEO referenced?  Should be pretty easy to do. 

Since the drone is in the air and this takes very little time to do I offered an aerial pano: https://kuula.co/post/7lpky

Not sure if its because the whole virtual tour craze was so overdone poorly, there's no place to put it on the MLS or what but the realtor didn't seem that interested in it.

10 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

Matterport [the hardware] appears to be an automated Pano head/camera.  $4k is a bit steep for that and do you know what the monthly license fee is?

Steve, do you think many people would need model to be GEO referenced?  Should be pretty easy to do. 

Since the drone is in the air and this takes very little time to do I offered an aerial pano: https://kuula.co/post/7lpky

Not sure if its because the whole virtual tour craze was so overdone poorly, there's no place to put it on the MLS or what but the realtor didn't seem that interested in it.

I would prefer the model to be geo-referenced, most of our models are tied to geographic coordinates and to be able to bring the scan directly into its proper location is crucial. Matterport said they were going to look into adding that ability, I don't know if they have done so yet. 

Interesting the realtor didn't want to utilize the pano - easy to embed a link on the MLS listing...

I'm curious, did you close the top of the pano in that or did Kuula do that on submission of your photos?

As you know there's a hole at the top of the image, I just did a quickie context aware fill in photoshop, but Kuula is what texture mapped it to the sphere.  This pano has a few other errors but since the realtor didn't show much interest I haven't bothered to fix it.

I've only done three of these, but I like them and would like to figure out a more creative way to produce them.  

I was playing with photo-spheres last week at work. I managed to use PT-GUI to make a photo-sphere, load it onto my iphone into an app that places it into a google cardboard layout and let me see it ala "View-Master" style. I've been meaning to do a writeup, trouble finding the time...

Aloha community!  I'm new to the forum, but not to UAV Coach, and wanted to jump in on this thread.  Since I primarily shoot real estate, seemed like the perfect first post spot.

Thanks for sharing these videos, Av8Chuck.  The work is solid, and very pleasing to watch.  I like that you break up the shots between wide and tight, which is vital to create an attractive real estate video that doesn't put the audience to sleep.

As for the matterport camera talk, I own one and use it on the island (Maui).  I've even folded the 3D tour model footage into video projects, and no one has yet to tell the difference.  In fact, when they see the movement in 3D space, they usually LOVE it!

Regarding profitability in shooting real estate, I'll be the first to say it's a long row to hoe.  Realtors are notoriously considered to be cheap when it comes to marketing expenses, and they're programmed to try negotiating.  Stick to your pricing, don't take every job that comes along, and keep producing this beautiful work and you'll do well.  It just takes a little bit of time.

Warmest Mahalo for sharing!

• Like 1

Welcome.

What software do you use to add motion in the 3D model?  The real challenge for me is getting the lighting right.  Exteriors and aerial live action shots are reasonably easy. Interior live action shots are much more difficult and time consuming.   With stills you can bracket and photofuse with strobed images and create a well balanced image, but again this can be very time consuming.

I understand why a lot of real estate media is so poorly produced.  Its a real compromise between efficiency and quality and realtors seem to favor price over substance.  Getting them to understand that better quality often takes longer is not a conversation that most want to have.  In fact , that's probably my biggest complaint about doing this sort of work is how impatient the broker is, some expect it to be done in two hours or less.

What I like best about it is how challenging the actual photography can be.  So although I probably won't pursue property videos as a business, I really enjoy it when someone wants me to take my time and do it to the best of my ability.  

• Like 1

nice work, Av8Chuck! Thanks for throwing this stuff out there & inviting the conversation on this!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Welcome.

What software do you use to add motion in the 3D model?  The real challenge for me is getting the lighting right.  Exteriors and aerial live action shots are reasonably easy. Interior live action shots are much more difficult and time consuming.   With stills you can bracket and photofuse with strobed images and create a well balanced image, but again this can be very time consuming.

I understand why a lot of real estate media is so poorly produced.  Its a real compromise between efficiency and quality and realtors seem to favor price over substance.  Getting them to understand that better quality often takes longer is not a conversation that most want to have.  In fact , that's probably my biggest complaint about doing this sort of work is how impatient the broker is, some expect it to be done in two hours or less.

What I like best about it is how challenging the actual photography can be.  So although I probably won't pursue property videos as a business, I really enjoy it when someone wants me to take my time and do it to the best of my ability.  

When I build 3D models, the Matterport platform allows for a guided tour function.  It requires constructing the tour based upon waypoint throughout the home.  Once the tour model is complete, I do a screen capture recording via Quicktime of the tour playing from start to finish.  The resulting video file can be chopped and edited inside of your editing software of choice.  I prefer FCPX.

For interiors, I try to use a combination of trickery to get the lighting correct.  Early morning & late evening allow for more balanced interior / exterior metering.  If it's midday, but the windows are shielded from direct bright light, I will stop my camera down to -2/3 and recover the shadows in post.  This gets it close.  If the outside conditions are simply too bright, my options are to either use lights, or use an HDR (photofuse) image with movement (Ken Burns).  Remember, it doesn't have to be technically correct, in regard to cinematograpy rules.  It just has to flow well, show the property and sell the home.

Pro Tip:  Screens on windows and doors make fairly effect light filters.  Leave 'em closed / installed so you can take advantage of that light filtering.  The mesh in the screen is rarely ever enough to obstruct the outside view.

I don't try to convince anyone of anything anymore when it comes to video work.  I try to price the service according to the time I'm spending and the product they'll receive, and the rest just falls where it does.  I'm happy to give explanation as to why the editing process takes a couple days, but if they persist in rush delivery, I'll gladly decline the work.  This is discussed before I ever show up to a shoot (timelines and whatnot).

I posted a video of a fairly recent project, if you'd like to see it.  Here's a link to the thread: http://community.uavcoach.com/topic/3040-aloha-from-maui-property-vid-inside/

• Like 1

I like to experiment with video's, I try and get agents to show more of the lifestyle, or highlight something that is unique about a property.

when I started, I wanted to do more conceptual videos. Didn't work but it was fun trying.  Since this thread is so dead I thought I'd post one here.

Here's my latest property video.  I generally don't do property video's but I have a realtor friend who has about six of these types of listing and he asked if I would do the video and photography. I really enjoy it but this took me two days of shooting and another in post and realtors, friend or not, are not willing to pay what it would take to do this type of work.

I'm guessing if I did more of it I could cut the production time in half but even then it would be tough to be profitable.  I really enjoyed shooting this place.

• Like 2

Wow--just beautiful. The property is amazing! Shot choices and aerial footage are really nice, video inside is silky smooth--are you using a Ronin? That's a learning curve I'm trying to scale right now... :) Inspiring work sir! 

Dang, @Av8Chuck, you've outdone yourself. Beautiful video.

I love that you bring up ROI, though. At the end of the day, there are hobbyists, and there are people trying to build real businesses. And when you're building a business, particularly a service-based one that involves labor hours, time is money.

Thanks Alan.

Its really not about the drones or camera's we use but the technique and workflow used to achieve it.  Its not just how much someone will pay to produce this type of video but the time they'll allow you to take to produce it.  

I doubt my videos would be any better, even as good as, other property video producers given the time constraint they have to meet for profitability or access to the property.

Its a process.  The first property video I did took much longer than most realtors wanted to spend at the property [unless your bonded, in CA the realtor has to be present while you work] but when I did the next video the property owner said they wanted a video just like the first and I was then able to say "then this is how long it will take."  Once the property owner and realtor started to see how  much work went into the production then they understood why I'm more expensive than some others.

JBR alluded to this as well.  These are the things that are way more interesting to discuss in forums like this, not just a place to share the video.  In another thread, Steve mentioned that he hadn't commented on the video because its not his thing, I get that.  However, if our discussions are more about the methodology than the tool, then there's insights that can be gleaned from whatever the application of the drone.

• Like 1