• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First RE video for 2019!  Fun fact: this house had three offers within 5 days of listing.  

You know, you should offer a class on shooting real estate.  

Thanks for the compliment @AncientAirship! I just realized I've been negligent and have not posted any of my work for months. Lemme rectify that: Anyway, to answer your question local m

Posted Images

Nice to be back to work after a three week vacay in the Smokies. This one was fun to shoot, and it was a little funny to realize how one can get a little out of practice in three weeks! 

Short and sweet, cute lil cottage by the sea on the north shore. Sunrise through sunset, can be yours for a cool $2.3M 😎

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 11:50 PM, Talon Six Aerial said:

This one was interesting because normally I don't get hired for $200K houses.  In this case, the property is located in Albin, Wyoming which is a very small town on the Nebraska border.  It's about 45 minutes from Cheyenne so the agent figures that this would be the best way to get prospective buyers to see the beauty of the place without doing a lot of showings for the "just looking" crowd.  I think his reasoning is spot on.  

did you use photography lights for this one, or just whatever light you could get from the house and windows ?

On 11/22/2019 at 5:05 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

This one listed @ $5.425M.  When I saw it in the daytime, I thought 'Dang, this is a nice house!'  Then at sunset, I was like 'DAAANGG, this is a SEXY house!!'

Enjoy!

......You never stop amazing me with your creativity. The pool shot legit blew it out of the water. Loved the timelapse at the end as well. very nice work.

• Thanks 1
On 9/16/2019 at 11:00 AM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I shoot everything in S-log2 with sharpness at -7 (max low).  Since I expose for the view out the windows, it makes bringing back the interior darks pretty tough, with a LOT of work in post using stacked color boards/filters.  As you mentioned, I too have noticed I need a tad bit more contrast added in post, but I'm struggling with the finite balance between some contrast and crushing the blacks and introducing weird color artifacts.

As I've been delving into the science of it, I'm realizing it's all really just coming down to one simple issue...8-bit video.  I wish so much that Sony had at least offered a 10-bit RAW output, but they don't...even that comes in 8-bit. 

Hey Jonathon,  

I'm thinking about getting an A7 camera and have been reviewing a ton of youtube to try and decide between a 7iii or 7riii. 

I watched this one where the guy explained how he uses burst shooting to create short RAW video clips with up to 15 stops of DR.  I thought of your comments and if you haven't tried it yet, perhaps this would work well for your static subject shots in order to recover the shadow detail.

Anyway, your work is awesome!  Happy Thanksgiving!

1 hour ago, Dave Pitman said:

burst shooting to create short RAW video clips

I’ve done this with LightRoom and LRTimelapse, it works great but it’s a lot of extra work. I color correct 4K in resolve and it gets almost as much DR with much less effort. 

If your shooting stills it’s hard to beat the A7RIII, if your shooting 4K video it’s hard to beat the Panasonic GH5 with 10bit internal.  The Sony A7RIV is a good hybrid with something like 65MP stills.  I’m not sure if it has as high a burst rate as the A7RIII?  

Good luck.

• Like 1

I actually ditched the GH5 to go to the A7iii because of the lack of dynamic range.  It’s not a problem on outdoors or indoors with lots of light, but in the mixed lighting situations we typically see in real estate, I was not getting great results.  Admittedly, I miss the 10 bit color and 4K/60 Of the GH5 but with the ease in editing and dynamic range with the A7iii shooting in SLOG2, I have not looked back.  

Great timing for choosing either Sony or Panasonic as both are on sale for the shopping weekend!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

Hey Jonathon,  

I'm thinking about getting an A7 camera and have been reviewing a ton of youtube to try and decide between a 7iii or 7riii. 

I watched this one where the guy explained how he uses burst shooting to create short RAW video clips with up to 15 stops of DR.  I thought of your comments and if you haven't tried it yet, perhaps this would work well for your static subject shots in order to recover the shadow detail.

Anyway, your work is awesome!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Aloha Dave,

Yes, this does work...it's really just a fast burst rate timelapse, which works out pretty nicely.  Only problem is, as @Av8Chuck mentioned, it's a TON of extra work.

For stills, I mostly use my a7iii.  The 24mp images are much more storage friendly, and slide through LR pretty easily, whereas the monster 42mp files from the a7riii will run you out of space ASAP and make LR crawl.

If you're serious about tossing between Sony & Panasonic, then I'd say Black Friday be damned, and you just rent one of each to try out.  Save a couple hundred on a sale is cool, but spending a couple thousand and becoming unhappy is by far worse.

Personally, I vote for more DR over bit depth.  But that's just me.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, Luke said:

did you use photography lights for this one, or just whatever light you could get from the house and windows ?

I used lights in just about every shot except the living room.  The lights were a mix of a Dracast 1000, a FalconEyes SO-48, and smaller lights like the Aputure AL-F7 for accents.  

That was also the last job that I did with my GH5.  Now that I'm on the A7iii I'm finding less need for additional lighting which is very nice.  In fact I overlit my first A7iii job because I underestimated the dynamic range that camera is capable of!

Edited by Talon Six Aerial
  • Like 1

Some fun drone work here, but not a ton. Can't fly over 100ft in this area, so can't really even clear the buildings, but plenty enough footage to do the trick.

Aerials were shot on Mavic 2 Zoom. I have a Pro camera that I swap out now and then, but chose the zoom cam for this job to stay plenty far enough off the beach and away from people. I've been buzzed on the sand before, it's not pleasant.

Ground cam is a Sony a7iii. Enjoy!

There are times that you benifit from the property your shooting, they’re awesome, added to your video they look even better.  This property, not so much but you still made it look great.  

Ok, it’s been a while — I hate you. 

Nice work.  

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

There are times that you benifit from the property your shooting, they’re awesome, added to your video they look even better.  This property, not so much but you still made it look great.  

Ok, it’s been a while — I hate you. 

Nice work.  

Haha, I always appreciate your best compliments!

For this one, I used a Zeiss 16-35 ƒ4, all mounted to a Zhiyun Crane Plus gimbal.    For the night time/low light scenes in these videos, I switch to the G-Master 16-35 ƒ2.8 to help with ISO control.  I prefer the little Zeiss for other times because it's so much lighter & smaller, & allows the camera to mount a little more forward of the rear gimbal motor.  Makes the monitor easier to see.

• 1 month later...