• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First RE video for 2019!  Fun fact: this house had three offers within 5 days of listing.  

You know, you should offer a class on shooting real estate.  

Thanks for the compliment @AncientAirship! I just realized I've been negligent and have not posted any of my work for months. Lemme rectify that: Anyway, to answer your question local m

Posted Images

Ok, been sitting on this one for a little while, just busy working and whatnot.  Now that things are a bit slower, I figured it's time to share.

This one is listed @ $25M, reduced from $28M.  Crazy to think that their little price reduction is still more money than the cost of most homes on Maui!

Aerial work was done using M2P.  Here's the catch...I normally shoot D-log, but when I connected the VR goggles for this mission (so the wife could 'ride along'), it reset everything to base settings, so I forgot to switch back to D-log!  Nice to know that standard footage cleans up well. lol

Ground work done on Sony a7r3 & a73, shot in S-log2, graded in FCPX.

All footy was shot @ 4k/24, except for two clips, shot at 1080/60 for slow-mo.  

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I know there's a LOT of knock on the Sony Alpha cams these days, for not having jumped into the 10-bit recording world.  But I'll tell ya', 8-bit video is NOT as hopeless as most might have us believe.

This piece has a lot of fun aerial work in it, from both the M2P and the M2Z.  Ground footage was captured on an A7R3, using S-log2.

Enjoy!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I know there's a LOT of knock on the Sony Alpha cams these days, for not having jumped into the 10-bit recording world.  But I'll tell ya', 8-bit video is NOT as hopeless as most might have us believe.

This piece has a lot of fun aerial work in it, from both the M2P and the M2Z.  Ground footage was captured on an A7R3, using S-log2.

Enjoy!

Short and sweet.  Have you done another property in this complex?  

Most of the people carping about 8-bit are idiots that know little if anything of what to do with 10-bit.  It’s just another hyped buzzword. 

The A7s are great cameras for the money and really up the production value for lower budget production. 

Viva 8bits!

On 5/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, Talon Six Aerial said:

I agree wholeheartedly Jonathon. The A7 series, despite being 8-bit, are still very capable cameras. The only challenge I see with 8-bit is that you have to get exposure right since there's less wiggle room in post.

Exactly.  People just seem to want canned out of the box greatness from a camera, forgetting that video is really no different from still photography, in the sense that there is no perfect out of the box image.  It takes knowledge and work no matter the camera.  Now, with that said, it's true, 10-bit is much more forgiving to those who spray n pray without much thought to a histogram.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:02 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Short and sweet.  Have you done another property in this complex?  

Most of the people carping about 8-bit are idiots that know little if anything of what to do with 10-bit.  It’s just another hyped buzzword. 

The A7s are great cameras for the money and really up the production value for lower budget production. 

Viva 8bits!

Thanks, and yes, I've done a handful of properties in this place.  Because it's vacation rental property, it's been mostly empty for the quarantine period, and still is today, so lots of media updates happening in that complex.

Viva 8bits!!

Very nice.  Really like the pacing, the viewer gets a real sense of the property in a very short video.  

Made you using a slider of just walking the property with a gimbal?  Looks great.  

• Like 1
On 5/15/2020 at 6:01 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Very nice.  Really like the pacing, the viewer gets a real sense of the property in a very short video.  

Made you using a slider of just walking the property with a gimbal?  Looks great.  

Thank you, I find that lingering shots have their place, but really, who wants to look at a relatively boring bathroom sink for more than about 2 seconds?

I use a gimbal for all the ground work, but in that other with the flippy sink - to - stove transition, I hand held it to get the 'flip' how I wanted it.

• 4 months later...

Aloha gang!

It's been a while, we've all had our hands full of work, life, Covid-19, wildfires, and all the other 2020 glory that's continually heading our way.  I thought I'd take some time to share my most recent production, featuring a true lifestyle story using talent and the property as the setting.

One thing about this place is that it's not super 'showy'.  We could show only 3 or 4 spaces within the home itself, but the property is another story altogether.  It's oceanfront, in an undeveloped area, bordering a wildlife preserve.  It's truly an amazing spot to have a home.

Drones used for this production were:

Evo II Pro (kayak aerials, twilight closing aerial)
Mavic 2 Zoom (long shot aerial near the beginning to bring the mountain into perspective)
Phantom 4 Classic (some old stock clips, including the beach & rocks aerials at the beginning, as well as the sunset aerial over Big Beach).

Ground cams were a7III and a7RIII

Enjoy!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Aloha gang!

It's been a while, we've all had our hands full of work, life, Covid-19, wildfires, and all the other 2020 glory that's continually heading our way.  I thought I'd take some time to share my most recent production, featuring a true lifestyle story using talent and the property as the setting.

One thing about this place is that it's not super 'showy'.  We could show only 3 or 4 spaces within the home itself, but the property is another story altogether.  It's oceanfront, in an undeveloped area, bordering a wildlife preserve.  It's truly an amazing spot to have a home.

Drones used for this production were:

Evo II Pro (kayak aerials, twilight closing aerial)
Mavic 2 Zoom (long shot aerial near the beginning to bring the mountain into perspective)
Phantom 4 Classic (some old stock clips, including the beach & rocks aerials at the beginning, as well as the sunset aerial over Big Beach).

Ground cams were a7III and a7RIII

Enjoy!

That’s the best quality so far.  Really looked good.   Great color grading.  

It’s great to hear from you.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

That’s the best quality so far.  Really looked good.   Great color grading.  

It’s great to hear from you.  

Thank you!  I appreciate that you can see the upgrades in my color work :).  All of this video (save for the old P4 stock pieces) was shot in log, and only 2 clips required noise reduction in post (twilight aerial closer and one other dark time scene before that).  Learning how to use curves for video has definitely helped me understand better how to retain depth in the imagery.

17 minutes ago, Alan Perlman said:

Beautiful storytelling as always. Appreciate you checking in and hope you're well!

At 1:06, are you using a Ken Burns effect? It's a short clip, but I really like the motion and can't figure out why I like it so much :)

Yes!  That shot lingered and gave a beautiful roll up to reveal the mountain, but the clip length was just too long, and I already had a similar shot near the intro (property reveal clip).  So, I chose to manually Ken Burns it (keyframe the scale & position) to avoid what I call the 'Ken Burns stall' at the beginning and end of the shot.

While we're at it....here's another from a couple weeks ago.  For this one, same ground cams, but only the Evo II Pro for aerials.  It was a real challenge, flying in the wind on this one, but the little Autel held in there just fine.  I still have a few critiques of the bird, which I should prolly post in another section.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum but spent quite a while going through all the posts in this thread and it's been really interesting seeing everyone's skills and techniques improve over the last couple years. @JBR LIFE Photography, your work and @Av8Chuck and @Talon Six Aerial are all consistently high quality so I feel you know the industry quite well. Since this thread is about the future too, what do you (and any others active in this thread) think is going to be next?

I live in downtown Chicago so clearly the scene is very different from Maui (most shots are of a specific condo or commercial building rather than a single home), but drones are already a norm, virtual tours seem to be everywhere... what's next?

For example, I haven't been in the game too long, but I've already noticed an increase in requests for motion tracking and random VFX cleaning up videos; requests like having floating text that's revealed behind a building, or removing objects from footage to make it look cleaner. Here's an example of what I'm talking about (footage is not mine, just the VFX):

I'm curious where I should be focusing my professional development as I seem to be getting increasing real estate work. What VFX and motion graphics are people interested in for these videos? I know a large skyscraper is going to have a larger budget than a normal homeowner, but I suspect homes in the multi millions are likely to have some wiggle room in their budget as well. 

Side note: I'm excited to be part of the forum! Apologies for writing a book and definitely let me know if I inadvertently violate any rules (for example is it normal to call out posters directly or is fine to assume most active members are following the topic?). I had a lot of fun reading through the thread.

• Like 3

Thanks for the compliment @AncientAirship! I just realized I've been negligent and have not posted any of my work for months. Lemme rectify that:

Anyway, to answer your question local market demands should somewhat drive where you spend your creative energy. There are never enough motion VFX artists to go around, so that is certainly something that is a worthwhile skill to have. 

My real estate clients generally don't know what they want in terms of VFX and motion graphics. There are a handful who are super concerned about their own personal branding, but beyond that as long as I communicate the rough specs of the property they have been happy. On the VFX side I routinely do some light VFX with steam, sun rays, and cleaning up skies (lots of wildfires out here). For example in the video above - sun through the trees, skies over the deck, steam over bathtub: all VFX. 

Here's another commercial property video that's all drone (M2P) and incorporates a lot of motion text elements to communicate the property highlights:

Cheers!

- Matt

• Like 3

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the speedy and thorough response! I would never have known the sun / sky were VFX, very smooth! I can tell the steam only because that's a favorite effect of mine as well (it still looks fantastic though). What effect do you typically use for that kind of sun effect? (if you don't mind sharing). I doubt I'd need it for my skyscraper projects but it's perfect for residential.

You make some good points and I appreciate you sharing the commercial undeveloped property video too; it's good to see that folks ARE interested in that kind of work. It sounds like I need to expand my portfolio to include something along the lines of a commercial property project. I especially enjoyed your outline of the acreage, I know how tough that particular effect can be without any shaking or jitters. Do you use After Effects or another program?

This is the only video I've created along those lines and it was using free stock footage that wasn't great. Since it was my early work I think it could use an update as well.

I do think I'm hampered by not doing the videography myself - I'm reliant on drone operators needing my skills and not minding that I'd be cutting into their profit margin, but hopefully I save them enough time to make it worthwhile, or they can use my work as an excuse to upsell more than I cost.

If anyone in the thread has a real estate project they're working on I'd be happy to do a small project gratis in exchange for being able to show it in my portfolio (I would make it clear that I only do the effects). Buying footage just for my portfolio is wildly expensive, so I'd rather do work that actually helps someone out.

Edited by AncientAirship
  • Like 1

Aloha @AncientAirship, and welcome to the group!

Thank you for the kind words towards the work I've shared here, that's very much appreciated.

Your work looks solid to me, although I don't use too many VFX, aside from some of those already mentioned...a little steam, some tracking videos on a movie projector screen, and so on.  

I'm in agreement with @Talon Six Aerial in that your area market trends mostly dictate the services you'll care to bother offering.  Sometimes you have to launch an education campaign to create an understanding of what is available and why someone should want it.  It's a long row to hoe, but doable, as both Matt and myself have experienced this method first-hand.

I think that if you enjoy shooting video, or enjoy the idea of learning to shoot video, it'll behoove you to get started on that craft asap.  It's one thing to build some VFX around a shot.  To build a shot around your intended VFX is an elevated level of production in both quality and value, and will only free up more of your creativity.

-Jonathon

• Like 1

Aloha gang!

It's time for some more visual storytelling!

This video I'm sharing today marks the last project I shot on the a7iii/a7Riii combo.  (upgraded to a pair of a7Siii's).  The aerial star of the day was the Autel Evo II Pro.  I gotta say, the more I use it, the more I love it, although it has a few kinks to be worked out.

This home was on the market with another agent for over a year, with no movement, and barely any traffic.  The agent who picked up the listing is a dreamer and visionary who definitely thinks outside the box.  In fact, I'm not convinced she even believes there is actually a box, and I love that about her.

After hearing the client's vision ideas & concepts, and reviewing the old listing imagery & video, I sat down to write up a storyboard.  As I'd hoped, it was a 'go' on first draft, although once on-site there were a couple minor story adjustments.  But for the most part, what I wrote is what you'll see in the video.

Sound design was definitely inspired by @Talon Six Aerial, as I learn a ton from him about that.  

• Like 2

Hi Guys,  

@JBR LIFE PhotographyI love the use of rain and people.  Most of the realtors in my area discourage using people in their videos.  I think people want to see people, helps them visualize what they might look like in that home and makes the property video a little more about lifestyle than cabinets..  

@AncientAirship thanks for viewing and noticing the improvement in everyone's techniques (accept @JBR LIFE Photography) You know I couldn't pass that up..

Jonathon is a great example of how much of what he does today would have been considered "VFX" work just four years ago.  The use of graphics, syncing to music, great photography, using cinematic moves of the camera, aerial, color grading etc.. All done with a great deal of thought on what message is being conveyed about a property.  Most realtors four years ago would have said that wasn't necessary, today many require it.  That's what creative leadership looks like.  

Its taken a while but everyone on this thread has done an outstanding job of helping each other improve, demonstrated by @AncientAirship's comments.  So welcome to the community, hopefully you'll get as much out of participating as I have.

That's enough Mr. Nice Guy, you know I must want something...

I haven't posted here in such a long time because I haven't shot any property videos but that doesn't mean that I haven't had fun with video. 

Here are three of my latest.  I think I may have posted one of them on this forum but nobody watched it.  WTF?  All of these videos use the same techniques that I use on property videos.  

• Like 2

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! I like the idea of doing some video structured around intended VFX, it sounds a lot less stressful than what I've been doing so far (getting hired to fix things not originally intended to have VFX, which often makes my job way trickier). Agreed that a lot of what used to be considered VFX is now the new normal.

• Like 1

Damn, @Av8Chuck you always knock it outta the park on your productions.  Love them all!!!

I know you just hatin' brah, cuz I'm down here freezing mah coconuts off in da chilly nights ('bout 74 degrees).

But really man, thank you for such high marks in your book of outward views.  I take your words at face value, and never fluff, so again...huge mahalos!