7 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

The problem is that the realtor thinks they are the value so they don’t think video or photography makes a diffence so its perfunctory, they spend as little as possible.  So they want to make about $30k for driving the car to the open house...

I had two clients this year who fit this description.  It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Oh well, on a positive note, here's last week's video:

• Like 1

Aloha @Talon Six Aerial, thanks for sharing your work, and a bit about your current biz model!  You definitely have some fine equipment and a keen eye to see the shots.  I enjoyed both videos, they each kept me captivated throughout the entirety of the production, which is paramount.

If I may offer a single tidbit...

I think your camera height inside the home is a bit too tall, requiring a tilt downward to see the view.  I'm betting you're in the 6' + club on your body height, based on the point of view in your videos.  If you can find a way to get the camera lower, down around chest height, and straighten the gimbal pitch, so that the vertical lines of the home are plumb, you'll give your viewers a more appealing experience, without feeling like they need to 'look up'.  

Keep up the great work, and most definitely jack up your price sooner than later.  I have more on that, but I'm considering making a separate post about it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

You do great work, and your explanation about the business is fairly typical. That’s the challenge, how to get realtors to value the media more.  

I don’t do property videos for a living, which is why I enjoy doing them, it’s more of an outlet to try and be creative.  Having said that it doesn’t mean I want to be taken advantage of by a realtor who couldn’t market there way out of a wet paper bag.  

Since I do these so infrequently I can be kind of a jerk about it.  One thing I do is insist that the property owner pays for my services not the realtor.  Realtors hate that but it gives everyone the opportunity to discuss what we’re really trying to accomplish.  The realtor usually comes around to my way of thinking because I make the point to the owner that they should pay for it becuase they own it.  If they switch realtors they can still use it and if it sells it’s a great momento of their property.  It gives the owner the opportunity to influence the video, what things are really a benifit of the property, not just the number of rooms and square footage.  For me it’s good because usually we’re not so far off on price that worst case they split the cost.  

I’ve always believed that if I could get two or three realtors to work this way, that would probably keep me as busy as I’d like to be.  They need to be experienced realtors but still the up-n-comers who are ambitious and looking for a way to win the listings.  

I generally charge $1k a day.  Most properties can be shot in a day, this is a very different value proposition for the owner than the realtor.  As long as you have a great demo reel spending  $1K to have quality content market a $1.1M property is almost a no brainer. 

The problem is that the realtor thinks they are the value so they don’t think video or photography makes a diffence so its perfunctory, they spend as little as possible.  So they want to make about $30k for driving the car to the open house...

Thanks for sharing, @Av8Chuck, and I agree with you on several of these points of view.  It's always interesting to see the different biz models and value systems.

For example, where you find the most value in selling the media to the home owner, I find the opposite, and do the best selling it to the realtor.  Part of that is because properties move FAST on this island (often times on market for just a few days), and they recycle often.  I've relicensed media for properties, which gives me another chunk of revenue without re-shooting.  I also realize this is dependent upon the market in a given area.  Here on Maui it's all about vacation lifestyle and short-term rental properties.  Shooting a condo for sale, then re-selling the photos to the new buyer for the vacation rental marketing is commonplace here.  

Personally, I do find that the realtor has actual value, so long as they're a professional in their industry and effective at what they do, for the best interest of their client.  This small island has about 1,700 real estate agents, so I get to see all kinds of biz practices in this industry.

With that in mind, it's definitely a continual education process in keeping the perceived value high with realtors.  Many fall into the 'one day I'll use you when I get a nice enough property' mindset.  I'm quick to accept that idea in an effort to acknowledge their thought process, and follow it up with the suggestion that they begin realizing their listing media as a personal listing portfolio.  In other words, you don't get upscale luxury listings and then create beautiful media.  You do it the other way around.

About the biz model I use...

A 1min social media cut of a video is $799+tax

A 2-3min lifestyle video, including return for sunset, is $1499+tax

Full video & photo bundle (full video, social media cut, still photos, aerial photos) is $2,499+tax

Keep in mind, I live in a place where gas is over $4/gal, milk is about $10/gal and a studio apartment rental is $2k/mo.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I'm betting you're in the 6' + club on your body height, based on the point of view in your videos.  

Ha!  Nailed it.  I'm 6'1" and I need to do more squats so I can comfortably get lower.  Good call though.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Ha!  Nailed it.  I'm 6'1" and I need to do more squats so I can comfortably get lower.  Good call though.

Can you flip the gimbal so the camera hangs underneath?  Also, if you have handlebars, maybe turn them so the handles point upward, and mount the bar as high on the gimbal as possible?

11 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Can you flip the gimbal so the camera hangs underneath?  Also, if you have handlebars, maybe turn them so the handles point upward, and mount the bar as high on the gimbal as possible?

Sure can.  The Ronin-S is just a single stick like your Crane, but I'll give that a try and see how it looks.  Again thanks for the feedback.  

I recently was contacted to shoot a mostly aerial video piece for a large upcountry development.  We've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks, so the land is nice & green, perfect for marketing.  The client is new, but tends to handle high end luxury properties, so I'm excited for the connection.  

The camera lineup:

Sony A7R III + 16-35 and 24-70 G-Master glass
Phantom 4
Mavic 2 Zoom
GoPro Hero 5

Enjoy!

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I recently was contacted to shoot a mostly aerial video piece for a large upcountry development.  We've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks, so the land is nice & green, perfect for marketing.  The client is new, but tends to handle high end luxury properties, so I'm excited for the connection.  

The camera lineup:

Sony A7R III + 16-35 and 24-70 G-Master glass
Phantom 4
Mavic 2 Zoom
GoPro Hero 5

Enjoy!

Dude, you are there.  You need to replace the toy cameras with flying the A7RIII or a GH5S.  You have these great ground shots with shallow DOF that look 3D and then cut to shots from the P4 where everything is in focus and flat.  

You start flying the big boy toys and you won’t regret it it.  Your in such a great location you could probably sell stock footage to offset the additional expense.

• Like 1

Latest job.  The realtor wanted some very specific branding and requested stylistic changes that were outside my normal tastes, so this was a great lesson for me in leaving my comfort zone to make the client happy.

The video was shot with the Mavic 2 Pro and the Inspire 2/X5S with 12mm and 25mm Olympus lenses.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 5:13 AM, Talon Six Aerial said:

Very nice!  Not being aware of how the development market goes in Hawaii, will that area be developed relatively quickly?

Interestingly enough, property development moves rather slowly here, unlike the already-built home market, which moves in a matter of days.  It'll be very interesting to see how the community responds to this development once the homes start popping up.  There are fewer than 40 lots on the entire tract of land, which keeps everything spread out and not looking like a crammed up suburbia, and that's a good thing here, as Maui residents definitely don't want the place to start filling up and looking like Oahu (overcrowded, high-rise office buildings, etc).

On 10/5/2018 at 5:39 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Dude, you are there.  You need to replace the toy cameras with flying the A7RIII or a GH5S.  You have these great ground shots with shallow DOF that look 3D and then cut to shots from the P4 where everything is in focus and flat.  

You start flying the big boy toys and you won’t regret it it.  Your in such a great location you could probably sell stock footage to offset the additional expense.

Bro, I wish I could sink the $$ into that setup, but right now it's just simply out of reach for me.  In order to fly the A7RIII, I'd have to purchase another for backup, along with more glass as backup, and then the flying rig itself.  When I start adding up the money involved, I'd probably come out better off springing for an Inspire 2 + X7 with full CineRAW unlock.

So, basically, either way I'm looking at about $15-20k being dropped, which just isn't in the budget yet.  I'm still climbing toward higher priced gigs, which is good, but progress and timing and whatnot are the limiting factors.

As far as using shallow DoF, no matter the camera, I'd still shoot @ f11 or better for wide area land shots, just because the investors want to show the land in its entirety, as clearly as possible.  The good news, however, is that the little Mavic 2 Zoom accomplishes a bit of shallow DoF via lens compression (more appropriately, it allows for a bit of parallax effect).  Sure, it's nowhere near as sharp & detailed as the Sony cam, but it's a $1500 tool that still makes clients go 'oooooohhhh.....ahhhhhhh'.

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

13 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Latest job.  The realtor wanted some very specific branding and requested stylistic changes that were outside my normal tastes, so this was a great lesson for me in leaving my comfort zone to make the client happy.

The video was shot with the Mavic 2 Pro and the Inspire 2/X5S with 12mm and 25mm Olympus lenses.

Very pleasant to watch, relaxing music, seems to fit the vibe of the area.  I'll be honest, I cannot tell which shots were done on which camera, seems like no difference, all sharp & clear.

Something you might recommend to the client for future vids - place the branding logo in the lower right corner, as opposed to the left.  Latin-based languages read from the top left corner of a page, to the bottom right, meaning we quick-scan the same way...glancing at the top left, then center, then bottom right.  Placing the logo in the bottom right will be seen less intrusively and will fee more natural to the viewer.

This is just some blah blah info I learned years back when I was rehabbing defunct automotive repair shops.  I used to bring them from 'about to close the doors' to 'highly profitable with happy customers' and we did a ton of it through print advertising, and this formula worked 100% of the time.

I feel ya.. 

Im guessing your video is already so much better than your competitors that winning business is probably getting easier and that’s the most important measure of success.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

I feel ya.. 

Im guessing your video is already so much better than your competitors that winning business is probably getting easier and that’s the most important measure of success.  

It's getting easier to win the business on the end I've been shooting for a couple years, a little tougher to win the high-end biz, although I do still get to shoot $10-20M homes from time to time.  But yes, having a higher-end aerial rig would definitely assist with that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

A simple 3BR, 1.5BA home with a fresh remodel and a beach across the street = $1.18M on Maui.  Enjoy!

Wow, such a great diversity of shot makes this property look really appealing. At $1.18M I’d like to buy this.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:
On 10/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Buy it!!  And then move to Maui so we can play drones together.

9 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

I sent the link to my wife...?

You need to have a headquarters near Pearl, there ya go...business expense.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Well, it's doable, that's for sure.

This only has 15 min. flight time.  But Chuck could put his hydrogen hybrid engine in there and he's set!

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

This only has 15 min. flight time.  But Chuck could put his hydrogen hybrid engine in there and he's set!

I've never seen this vid before, but I'm confident the pilot has his aerial stock car track method down (circle, circle, circle, circle)

• Like 1