Av8Chuck

Property Videos: Past, Present & Future

Aloha from Maui everyone!  

Today I'm sharing a video of a fairly simple property, located in Pukalani ('pooh-kuh-lah-nee) town.  There's no fancy tub, no pool, no ocean or mountain views...just an average home, a small cottage, and a few fruit trees, nestled in the heart of one of the best little towns on the island.  

People here are all about community, respect, appreciation and generally living full and happy lives.  There's not any of that 'look how much I spent on my doorknobs' stuff that comes with other communities.  Most would prefer to grow tomatoes and papayas for themselves, than to dine in the fancy restaurants, eating food from another island or country.  Honest hard working folk live here, with wholesome values and strong family heritages.

As professionals in our industry, it's up to us to go the extra mile to showcase a property for ALL that it brings to the table.  When given a simple property, it's easy to give a simple approach...wide shots of the rooms, maybe a nice cabinet or vanity, slap a few aerials on and done.  But what if we dig a little deeper?  What if we spend an extra half hour experiencing the space, without a camera in our hands?  Do you take time to sit on the lanai (y'all know 'em as 'porches') and listen to the birds, or the sounds of the town around you?  Do you spend some energy imagining that you live there, and wondering what you'd find to appreciate about the place?  What about the town around the home...do you spend some time finding treasures there to include in the video?

I realize every home isn't located in a great little town or village, and that every home doesn't have fruit trees or flowers.  The point I'm trying to convey is to slow it down just a little, and train yourself to find magic in every shoot.  That's when your product becomes a little more refined, a little more engaging, and you'll begin to notice that you can command a little more pay for your work.

Anyhow, enough of my musing, here's the vid.  Enjoy!

On 10/13/2018 at 6:13 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

The point I'm trying to convey is to slow it down just a little, and train yourself to find magic in every shoot.

AMEN AMEN AMEN.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 4:13 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

But what if we dig a little deeper?  What if we spend an extra half hour experiencing the space, without a camera in our hands?  Do you take time to sit on the lanai (y'all know 'em as 'porches') and listen to the birds, or the sounds of the town around you?  Do you spend some energy imagining that you live there, and wondering what you'd find to appreciate about the place?  What about the town around the home...do you spend some time finding treasures there to include in the video?

I realize every home isn't located in a great little town or village, and that every home doesn't have fruit trees or flowers.  The point I'm trying to convey is to slow it down just a little, and train yourself to find magic in every shoot.  That's when your product becomes a little more refined, a little more engaging, and you'll begin to notice that you can command a little more pay for your work.

I found Gold !!! Amazing job @JBR LIFE Photography ! very well done.

• Like 1

For a cool $1.6M, you can pick up a Wailea condo, across the street from one of the best beaches on the island.  If one of y'all would buy this thing, then we'd be just a few blocks from each other.  ( @Av8Chuck...hintidy hint hint...)

Everything about this particular condo is the scenery.  Excluding the bathrooms, every room in the place has an ocean view, which must be showcased as much and often as possible.  Even though I use a camera with just ~15 stops of dynamic range, lighting is still the answer, and did exactly what I needed for this project.  The lights I used on this are simple 300 LED dimmable, 5600k lights.  Nothing fancy, and they got the job done in this scenario. 

Since this project, I've upgraded to a much more professional portable LED light set (Dracast LED 1000 PRO Bi-color), and I'm excited to see how they perform.  I'll be sure to post up the results once I get to use them!

Surprised you didn’t keep the bird tracking shot in the video?  

How much for this house?  My wife has been thinking about purchasing another house in CA and renting our current house out.  I mentioned that maybe a better idea would be to remodel the current house and look at purchasing another house in a location where we might want to spend 4-6 months out of the year.  To my surprise she likes the idea and I owe it all to your property videos.

of coarse if she divorces me during the remodel it’ll be your fault and  I’ll be coming to live with you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

of coarse if she divorces me during the remodel it’ll be your fault and  I’ll be coming to live with you...

Simple.  You purchase the house elsewhere FIRST and move into it during the remodel.  Everyone is happy, the builder, the wife, and therefore, you!

Order of operation and timing is everything!

• Haha 1

It’s going to be a while before I can take off that kind of time from work, this is more nustvplanning for the future.    Besides, I can’t imagine my wife hanging out in Hawaii while we’re remodeling the house in CA...  

A major remodel while occupied is the most difficult for everyone.  But ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess. If what you want to do entails a large portion of the interior including the kitchen and baths, which it usually does, consider renting a place nearby if she needs to oversee the project and you need to work. I suspect you know all this, but there ya have it.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:46 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Surprised you didn’t keep the bird tracking shot in the video?  

How much for this house?  My wife has been thinking about purchasing another house in CA and renting our current house out.  I mentioned that maybe a better idea would be to remodel the current house and look at purchasing another house in a location where we might want to spend 4-6 months out of the year.  To my surprise she likes the idea and I owe it all to your property videos.

I tried to find a reason to keep the birds in the vid, but in the end, I decided they didn't really lend anything toward showcasing the home or neighborhood.  Maybe if they weren't a bunch of pigeons, I would've kept 'em. lol

This home is $1.175M

I made this video for my website I'm still working on called Flying Portraits. It's just a short promo video that people can view. I thought this would be the best thread to put it on since there's already a ton of videos of all types. It seems though we have let @JBR LIFE Photography take over with all his fancy videos. Let me know what you think of the video.

• Like 1

Some really fun shots, a wide variety of places and subjects and styles. My two cents would be to really focus on slow, steady movements with the camera. I'm seeing a lot of small readjustments within the shots — a great example is at the end of your very first shot, right at 0:13 in the video...edit that jerky movement out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Luke said:

I made this video for my website I'm still working on called Flying Portraits. It's just a short promo video that people can view. I thought this would be the best thread to put it on since there's already a ton of videos of all types. It seems though we have let @JBR LIFE Photography take over with all his fancy videos. Let me know what you think of the video.

That was an entertaining video, I loved the horse riding shot!  Lotta good action, good camera movements in there.  Nice one!

• Thanks 1

@Luke If this is a promotional video for your services you need to pay attention to fit and finish.  Add half a second of black at the beginning and fade up both the audio and video.  

Your promoting Aerial photography so your photography has to be the focus, you have a lot of overexposed shots, if you can’t correct them then you should remove them.  From the Aerial perspective the shot of the horses is well done, it’s overexposure detracts from the shot.  Customers will comment on how cool that shot is but are more likely to hire someone with shots that are properly exposed.  Fortunately you can probably improve the exposure to make that shot much better.  

The drone carries the camera and can certainly provide a unique perspective, but it’s all about the photography.  That’s what separates a professional from a hobbyist.  

Like @Alan Perlman mentioned, edit out any and all bad “moves” or “motion.”  I’d also shorten up a lot of the shots.  Unless a longer shot starts with something really interesting and lands on something that adds to the shot, shorten it.  The viewer only needs to see half of the shot above the trees to get the same sense of the overall scene.  

Getting good footage out of marginal cameras is really challenging so you have to pay attention to your exposure.  In general if it’s a bright sunny scene try to shoot 1/3 to 1/2 stop underexposed.  If it’s late in the day and the light is fading then you need to be spot on and depending on your area of focus you might need to be a 1/2 stop over.  Unless your shooting RAW with something like an X5 on an Inspire there’s very little dynamic range from cameras on Phantoms and similar type drones.  

You might also consider adding graphics and possibly even a narrative voiceover to help tell sell your services.  

http://iplayerhd.com/player/cec626ae-f30f-4df9-af7c-deb04f537d9c

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I second everything @Av8Chuck and @Alan Perlman said.  Like I mentioned before, there are some great shots in your reel, you just need a little fine tuning to get it wrapped up.

To speak a little more to what @Av8Chuck said, it's important to cut a scene after the actual 'start' of the action, and before the actual 'end' of the action.  Hollywood filmmakers do this all the time.  For example, if you want to communicate someone stirring coffee and taking a sip, you would be better off showing a short clip of the actual stirring, and cut to a clip of the cup rising to their mouth and tilting a bit...maybe even a second or two of them actually sipping, but that's it.  Your brain will fill in the story-line gaps for you.

It's basically the same concept as large TV displays...they only populate a number of the pixels with an actual image content, and your brain fills in the blanks to make the image you think you see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one's a little bit different.  This local heavy industry company wanted to have a video showcasing their new facility here in Cheyenne.

The video is a combination of Mavic 2 Pro, Inspire 2, and GH5 shots.  Flying the Inspire 2 inside the facility was nerve wracking to say the least, but a very fun job overall.  Also this experience convinced me to buy a slider for the GH5.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

This one's a little bit different.  This local heavy industry company wanted to have a video showcasing their new facility here in Cheyenne.

The video is a combination of Mavic 2 Pro, Inspire 2, and GH5 shots.  Flying the Inspire 2 inside the facility was nerve wracking to say the least, but a very fun job overall.  Also this experience convinced me to buy a slider for the GH5.  

Great presentation!  I enjoyed the interior shots even more knowing they were done with a decently sized UAV.  Nicely done!

1 hour ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

This one's a little bit different.  This local heavy industry company wanted to have a video showcasing their new facility here in Cheyenne

Very well done.  It’s really nice to see something so well shot!  Great work.

Thanks @Alan Perlman. I'm going to have to remove that whole clip then. It starts right after a jerky movement. But that ok. I have some other clips I can use. I should've done that in the first place.

You always have a lot to say @Av8Chuck, but that's not bad. I actually like it. You give your honest opinion. I just watched a couple of video on overexposing shots and how to can fix that. I tend to make the shots to bright in my flight. when I should be bring it down more and then fixing it in the editor. thank you for the advice.

@JBR LIFE Photography, You always have something informative to say. very appreciated.

• Thanks 1