On 11/17/2018 at 4:18 PM, Talon Six Aerial said:

My latest work.  This was tough with the house being empty, but I think the results came off decently.  Also @JBR - I held the camera lower based on your recent feedback.  Thanks brother!

Very well done @Talon Six Aerial!  That camera height is so much more balanced, looks great.  Despite being an empty house, I think you showed the place quite well.  Empty homes are sometimes super tough, great job!

Knocked out another luxury property, located in a magical place - Ulupalakua - where the cattle & sheep roam, the weather is mild all year long, and the views are spectacular.  

Side note: Loving the Dracast 1000 LED 2in1 lights.  They really help bring in the view!

5 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

How did you use the lights and which ones are you using?

I'm using a pair of Dracast Bi-Color LED1000 Pro lights.  They allow for color adjustment (5600-3200K) as well as brightness control and put out a LOT of light.  I also have a pair of small Neewer CN-304 LED lights to fill in the smaller spaces and dark spots.  While the Neewer lights only give brightness adjustment, I have a set of gels to somewhat control the color temp on them.

How I used the lights is kind all over the place.  It's a game of moving lights for every shot sequence, so as to hide their reflections in windows, hotspots on ceilings, floors and furniture, and still get an even spread of light in the space.  For the wide shot of the living room that also show a part of the kitchen, I used 2 Dracast lights just behind the couch, angled toward the corners of the room a bit, along with a CN-304 in the far right-corner to light up the dark spot, and then another CN-304 in the dining room, hiding behind the fireplace, lighting up the kitchen a little more.

If you get the lighting right, you can work some real magic in post to bring out the data that was captured.  I'll see if I have any pull-back pics of the setup.  If not, I'll be sure to get some pull-backs of the next shoot involving dynamic lighting.

Here's a link to the Dracast set I use right now:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS6WFJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another note - I did NOT use the lights in every scene, only the ones where a beautiful broad ocean view was needed from inside a dark room.  The rest of the place shot without lights just fine, but a lot of that is because the camera has 15 stops of dynamic range. 

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

2 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

I've been collecting lighting with the proceeds from the last few shoots so I can replace my Lowe's LED work lights.  I have this one on my shortlist:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JGWGQVV/?coliid=I1GVGO59S4L1SE&colid=BDB9ZZVA87LE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That's a pretty cool setup!  I love the flexible pad into which the lights are embedded.  Makes for a super versatile light.

Don't knock the work lights too much.  I've thought about grabbing a pair of them for super large spaces that just need a TON of light (dark wood interior, high ceiling, bright view outside).

1 minute ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Love the first drone shot!  I'm gonna steal that one.

Have you thought about ramping the speed jump on the drop in the first shot?  It may look more flowy and less choppy.  Just a suggestion.

Actually, yes, I've been looking at this.  Honestly, I gotta figure it out in FCPX.  I know PP has a very easy tool for this, but I just don't use that platform much.  Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see about it for the next one!

That looks great.

Does FCPX have SmoothCam?  If so, you might want to give it a try on some of the shots where you can see your walk "bounce" a bit,  SmoothCam is pretty effective at smoothing that out.

2 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

That looks great.

Does FCPX have SmoothCam?  If so, you might want to give it a try on some of the shots where you can see your walk "bounce" a bit,  SmoothCam is pretty effective at smoothing that out.

It does, but unfortunately it’s prone to inducing jello when there’s significant bounce.  I subscribe to Adobe After Effects solely for Warp Stabilizer, which is simply amazing.  I’d love to find a non-Adobe alternative so I can get out of the higher priced tier since I’m a FCPX guy.

Thought I'd share this one, kinda unique in it's own way.  This condo comes fully furnished, including the two Peter Lik prints on the wall.  It was fun to give this more of a 'feel the vibe' approach, rather than 'here's the living room, here's the kitchen'.   Enjoy!

Oof I love Peter Lik's work. Heading to Miami with my wife and kiddos in a few weeks and specifically making a trip to the boardwalk to visit his gallery there :)

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, Alan Perlman said:

Oof I love Peter Lik's work. Heading to Miami with my wife and kiddos in a few weeks and specifically making a trip to the boardwalk to visit his gallery there :)

Well, how was the gallery experience?  I see you already started with your own gallery image of that area!

@JBR LIFE Photography did you get to drink that coffee that's being made at 1:12?

Hehe, great video! I know I've told you this before, but I love the variety of shots you do — it really showcases the property and what it would FEEL like to live there.

Re: Peter Lik, it was a great gallery. I've always been a fan of his work, though I have mixed feelings about his pricing and pricing fine art in general (interesting article here). Also had a lot of fun at the National Geographic gallery a couple of blocks away. Beautiful prints that my 2yo got a kick out of.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 7:28 AM, Alan Perlman said:

@JBR LIFE Photography did you get to drink that coffee that's being made at 1:12?

Hehe, great video! I know I've told you this before, but I love the variety of shots you do — it really showcases the property and what it would FEEL like to live there.

Re: Peter Lik, it was a great gallery. I've always been a fan of his work, though I have mixed feelings about his pricing and pricing fine art in general (interesting article here). Also had a lot of fun at the National Geographic gallery a couple of blocks away. Beautiful prints that my 2yo got a kick out of.

I did NOT get to drink that coffee, can you believe it?!  They just grabbed the cup, tossed it into the sink like it was yesterday's trash!  #richpeopleproblems

Yes, I recall that article about Mr. Lik.  He's not necessarily loved amongst most photography circles, although I'm guessing there's a bit of hater-ade some folks tend to drink out of jealousy now and again.    But to each his own, I suppose.  I've met folks who don't think our complimentary beach photo sessions are a great way to do biz, but it works for us. :) 

Thanks for all the support and feedback about the videos.  I keep trying to get better with each one, and sometimes I'm my own worst critic, as I can see room for improvement in everything I produce.  So, an 'attaboy' goes a long way!

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

Just wrapped this one tonight, thought I'd share.  I usually keep the videos under the 3min mark, but the client wanted a longer video, and this home lent well to it.  So much goodness packed into 3500+ sq.ft., it would be tough to keep it under 3min anyhow!

For this project, I used a good bit of lighting on the interior view shots, as the dark wood trim just ate up all the available natural light.  The home is beautiful, but definitely kinda dark by design.  Color grading was quite an undertaking as well, trying to squeeze all the available data for everything I could.

This one is best viewed in 4k on a large screen with premium sound.  Enjoy!

It’s really nice to watch a property video that captures the grandeur of a location.  Your videos just keep getting better.  I like how you selectively including audio.  

Generally I think it’s best to tell a story even if you don’t have a narrative and all stories have a beggining, middle and an end.  This video felt long because it didn’t flow well, it jumped around forcing the viewer to figure out how they moved from one part of the house to another and from inside to outside. It felt more like a lot of great shots strung together. Having said that there were a lot of great shots with challenging lighting conditions. 

I realize that a lot of property video producers have no idea what we're talking about, but every property has a story, something to say, it’s not just about showing it off.  Your about as good as I’ve seen at capturing and communicating the essence of a property and this video is no exception.  

• Like 1

Actually, never mind.  I watched it again and it does flow through the House really well.  There are some areas, like the living room where there might have been more shots than needed, I’d be guessing that’s where the customer might have wanted to add shots back in.  

My critique is just me being bitter because I hate you for capturing paradise.  It’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it.  

• Like 1

Actually, @Av8Chuck, I had a tricky time leading through this property to make it flow.  The layout of the house is such that it's not really the easiest to create a walk-through.  In fact, I found myself actually walking all over the place, discovering more rooms here and there. lol

Thanks for the compliments and the feedback, that's one of the main reasons I post this stuff here -to grow and learn.

Have you booked your flight here yet for 2019??

Man, That's a beautiful house, I wish I lived there. Good job. I'm a little worried, I might doing a house kinda like that one. I don't want to botch the beauty of the house. you do a very good job portraying the beauty and features of each house you do. off topic, did you drink the cup of coffee ? 😁

Edited by Luke