Av8Chuck

Property Videos: Past, Present & Future

A small job I did for a friend that owns their a real estate company. Nothing to fancy, nothing compared to @JBR LIFE Photography. Just looking for some feedback so I can improve in the future.

• Like 2

@Luke This is cool, I dig it!  I had totally forgotten that there are places in the world where being only a minute or two from the highway is cool. lol

I like the extra details you included, and the music wasn't overbearing.  Nice work!

• Like 1

I recently wrapped up another luxury property video, a place on the north side of the island.  Windward Maui is a tough cookie...either it's so windy the drone is dancing all over the sky, or the sky is calm, cloudy and threatening rain.  There's only a small window of time each day to capture a fairly nice sky and keep the drone stable for smooth video...and that window of time varies daily.

On this day, however, we got extremely lucky.  Beautiful clear skies, barely any wind of which to speak, all day long through sunset!  

The house itself is kinda odd, the designer being a steel worker, so he used...you guessed it...lots of steel.  No matter the project, it can be tricky to make surface rusted steel look cool, but fortunately this house had some dark finish tones that complimented it.  Probably the ONLY time I've been grateful the place was oddly dark (many of these high end luxury homes are poorly lit, and I have no idea why).

Side Notes:  Pardon the dirty mirrors please...the owners 'cleaned up', but I guess that doesn't mean the same as what we imagine for the shoot.  In their defense, windward Maui is a tough area to live and not have dirt flying around.  

Also, please excuse the lazy front yard dog.  Damn thing was so lazy it wouldn't even raise it's head when I cruised the drone just a few feet overhead.  Just raised its eyes to watch it pass, kept on lounging.  Actually, my kinda dog!

Anyhow, enjoy!  

https://vimeo.com/312505804

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  Another great video.  You should have cornered the Hawaiian market by now.  

• Like 1

Nice work! Very smooth, good use of slow & steady, kept me engaged, and gave a good sense of the property.  

If I could offer one nitpick, it would be to keep the ceiling fan status consistent.  If one fan is on, turn them all on, and vice versa. Personally, I prefer fans to be on and as slow as they'll go.  But I do have one client who very much dislikes moving fans in video, so I make an exception for her...because it's her money and whatnot. 

Regardless, great job, let's see more soon!! 🎬🎥🏠💰

• Like 1

I concur,  very well done and I too like the slow steady camera moves.  The challenge with slow camera movement is it can significantly slow down the pace of the video and make it feel longer than it is.  

The cure for this is to not use so much of the shot.  You had a few reveals where it took a while to move through the doorway or hall, unless there’s something compelling I don’t need to look at the door or hallway very long.  Cut out most of the move and get to the payoff faster.  You get the benifit of the move without slowing down the pacing.  

Also, natural light really saves on time but it’s also very flat.  Unless you have a property or realtor willing to pay for the extra time it takes to light, you can use something like DaVinci Resolve to pump up the volume and brighten up the scenes.  It will make your shoots appear more three dimentiomal.  

These are just suggestions on areas you might want to improve in.  Quality wise your videos are starting to look really good.  Curious what camera are you using? 

Keep up the good work.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback Chuck.  The day of the shoot was completely overcast, so those blue skies in the drone shots are total fakes (yay for color masks).  I did the best I could with the interior light, plus I was dragging around a FalconEyes RX18 to provide some extra light for the rooms.  The house was dark though since the skies were darkening all afternoon.  When I cranked up the brightness in FCPX, I started getting noise, so I had to balance between the two issues.  In the end, what you saw was about the best I could do given the totality of the circumstances  

I’m using a Panasonic GH5 with a 8-16 lens for my interior work.  I just picked up a 15mm Sigma f1.4 that I’m looking forward to using for interiors on the next shoot.

• Like 2

A $5.5M luxury condo in Wailea is one helluva place to call an office.  All about the view, which we all know is tricky.  As per the standard as of late, dark wood trim to eat up the light.  Enjoy! 

• Like 1

I generally find it very challenging to produce interesting real estate videos using only exterior shots.  This project was no exception - a planned business park that has only one complete building.  Although the building exterior looked totally finished, the building interior was literally just dirt and a couple of plumbing and power mains.  I've never seen anything like it.

This was my first time using CrumplePop's Easy Tracker to do the property lines.  It was indeed "easy", so I'll probably be incorporating this technique into future projects.

Another interesting challenge with this project was that it is in DJIs new approach and departure path geofenced areas. I followed the DJI Unlock website instructions, uploaded a copy of my wide area authorization, and had the unlock code within about 20 minutes.  PRO TIP:  I discovered the hard way that you need to be logged into the DJI Go 4 app on the CrystalSky in order to see the unlocks; it took me longer to figure this out than it did to get the unlock authorization from DJI.  Doh!

Anyway, I think this came off pretty well and the clients were happy:

Edited by Talon Six Aerial
Trying to figure out how to post video!
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

This was my first time using CrumplePop's Easy Tracker to do the property lines.  It was indeed "easy", so I'll probably be incorporating this technique into future projects.

That looked great and certainly added to the production value.  

33 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Another interesting challenge with this project was that it is in DJIs new approach and departure path geofenced areas. I followed the DJI Unlock website instructions, uploaded a copy of my wide area authorization, and had the unlock code within about 20 minutes.

You shouldn’t have to log into DJI at all to get permission to fly your drone...  Bit it is what it is.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:11 AM, Talon Six Aerial said:

I generally find it very challenging to produce interesting real estate videos using only exterior shots.  This project was no exception - a planned business park that has only one complete building.  Although the building exterior looked totally finished, the building interior was literally just dirt and a couple of plumbing and power mains.  I've never seen anything like it.

Another interesting challenge with this project was that it is in DJIs new approach and departure path geofenced areas. I followed the DJI Unlock website instructions, uploaded a copy of my wide area authorization, and had the unlock code within about 20 minutes.  PRO TIP:  I discovered the hard way that you need to be logged into the DJI Go 4 app on the CrystalSky in order to see the unlocks; it took me longer to figure this out than it did to get the unlock authorization from DJI.  Doh!

Anyway, I think this came off pretty well and the clients were happy...

Well done, you made for a very interesting exterior-only presentation!  I love the CrumplePop tracking you used, definitely going to look into it for FCPX.  I've been using another platform that works most of the time, but sometimes (the most important times it seems) it totally fails.  

I'm with Chuck...it's annoying to have to jump through DJI's hoops to accomplish what the governing airspace body has already approved.  Glad it worked out for you, and let's always hope for the best in that area.

Thanks for sharing, nice vid overall!

After what seemed like forever, working the puzzle of weather, availability, cleaning, etc, I've finally been able to wrap this piece for a 9,000+ square foot oceanfront home, listed at just under $30M.  

Enjoy!

That's my favorite one yet Jon!  Nice work on getting a good balanced exposure between the interiors and exteriors when you're showcasing those views (wow!  those views!).

I also really like the night shots with the place all lit up.  Superb work!

Are you using a preset for the opening title or is that something you made in Motion?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

That's my favorite one yet Jon!  Nice work on getting a good balanced exposure between the interiors and exteriors when you're showcasing those views (wow!  those views!).

I also really like the night shots with the place all lit up.  Superb work!

Are you using a preset for the opening title or is that something you made in Motion?

Thanks friend!  The lighting was the biggest challenge with this place.  It's like the more expensive and extravagant the home, the darker and tougher it is to light.  I used a pair of DRACAST 1000 LED lamps for this shoot.  That extra boost coupled with a custom log profile helped bring balance in the exposure.

I've been kicking around the idea of stepping up to a full on cinema cam that shoots 14-bit RAW and 10-bit codec just to try getting a little more dynamic range for these darker homes.  Only problem is I just don't see the return on the investment, at least not just yet.  So for now, I'll just keep banging on these Sony A7 cams I have to rock on. lol

Sunset through twilight and into dark makes for some of the most dramatic scenery in many of these luxury homes.  Every home could benefit from this time frame, even a condo in a crowded city, but most projects don't have the budget to afford that premium time slot (because if I'm not shooting a home or some portraits, I'm watching the sunset and enjoying it, which is worth a lot of money to me). 

The opening / closing title is a somewhat customizable preset I got from PixelFilmStudios.  I dig their stuff, and it's worth me paying a few bucks for a bundle of them, instead of farting around in Motion, finding that I need to spend hours on YouTube to learn how to make something.  I need to schedule some learning time in the near future, because I have ideas on how to modify these presets in order to turn them into other presets.

Another bare commercial lot video.  These are very difficult for me from a storytelling aspect, so I'm largely relying on the client to provide the verbiage that will keep viewers engaged for 60 seconds.  Upbeat music, speed ramps, and whip transitions help, but overall these types of videos are a big challenge.

I used the Mavic 2 Pro for this shoot with an ND16 filter that I don't think was enough.  After not getting the sharpness I would have liked for this video, I immediately ran out and bought an ND32 and ND64 set.  

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, there is an aperture sweet spot for maximum sharpness for the Mavic 2 Pro's camera that is between f2.8 and f4.  PolarPro did a good analysis of the Mavic 2 Pro's optimal f-stop settings at this link.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I've been kicking around the idea of stepping up to a full on cinema cam that shoots 14-bit RAW and 10-bit codec just to try getting a little more dynamic range for these darker homes.  Only problem is I just don't see the return on the investment, at least not just yet.  So for now, I'll just keep banging on these Sony A7 cams I have to rock on. lol

As soon as I can find one, I'll be picking up a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to add to the camera bag. Its dynamic range is extremely impressive and I already have more than half a dozen MFT lenses.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

As soon as I can find one, I'll be picking up a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to add to the camera bag. Its dynamic range is extremely impressive and I already have more than half a dozen MFT lenses.  

If I had the glass to fit it already, I'd definitely jump on it.  The one drawback I do see is no continuous focus tracking, but then again, not a deal breaker, especially for the price point.  Let us know how it works out!

6 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Another bare commercial lot video.  These are very difficult for me from a storytelling aspect, so I'm largely relying on the client to provide the verbiage that will keep viewers engaged for 60 seconds.  Upbeat music, speed ramps, and whip transitions help, but overall these types of videos are a big challenge.

I used the Mavic 2 Pro for this shoot with an ND16 filter that I don't think was enough.  After not getting the sharpness I would have liked for this video, I immediately ran out and bought an ND32 and ND64 set.  

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, there is an aperture sweet spot for maximum sharpness for the Mavic 2 Pro's camera that is between f2.8 and f4.  PolarPro did a good analysis of the Mavic 2 Pro's optimal f-stop settings at this link.

Nice work as usual!  I really enjoyed the arrow overlays, nice use of a modern technique without totally over-doing it.  

I hadn't really though much about that aperture sweet spot, but it makes sense, since it applies to all lenses I've ever used.  Interestingly, on most lenses it's somewhere between f/4.0 and f/8.  For all the Canon glass I used, it was pretty religiously at f/5.6.

Since I'm using the M2Z, I have no aperture control, so I never consider it much.  Do you ever use post sharpening?

17 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

I did with this video.  Just 2.0 in FCPX.

I think it looks pretty good.  Not sure I'd really ever bother with trying to fine tune the aperture so much if this is the result you can get in post via sharpen mask.  Maybe for stills, where I need the absolute hero shot to be crisp, but for vids, I think you're doing great with what you have.

Wrapped up another south Maui luxury home vid.  This house is located at the top of Wailea, just a hop and a skip to the beach.  Shot the stills for this one too, had a great time on the project.  I love when the homes are professionally decorated and staged!

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

And another luxury townhome to add to the collection.  This one is short-term rentable, which is what most people do with them.  In fact, I'm not sure anyone actually lives in these full time, because most who could afford that would just get a house and skip the resort fees altogether.

The challenge for this one, as always with condos & townhomes, is showcasing the view from inside.  Everything about this place is the view, the view, the view.  The Sony cam and a decent set of lights came in to save the day once again!