Av8Chuck

Property Videos: Past, Present & Future

On 4/18/2019 at 7:40 PM,  JBR LIFE Photography said: 

I've been kicking around the idea of stepping up to a full on cinema cam that shoots 14-bit RAW and 10-bit codec just to try getting a little more dynamic range for these darker homes.  Only problem is I just don't see the return on the investment, at least not just yet.  So for now, I'll just keep banging on these Sony A7 cams I have to rock on. lol

23 hours ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

As soon as I can find one, I'll be picking up a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to add to the camera bag. Its dynamic range is extremely impressive and I already have more than half a dozen MFT lenses.  

@JBR LIFE Photography which lenses are you using with your A7?  Remember, the A7RIII is a full frame camera that shoots great 4K video and 43MP stills.  I think the resolution in this camera outweighs the difference in dynamic range.  

@Talon Six Aerial keep in mind that for aerial the ability to control the camera from the ground in real-time is a significant advantage.  It’s quite easy to control the Sony, not sure how you’d do that with the BM-Pocket Camera. 

@JBR LIFE Photography remember this conversation from about a year ago?  I don’t think you had started using the A7 yet.  I know the economics haven’t changed but Imagine getting aerial with that camera!  It will rock your world.  We’re flying the A7 with the Sony G240mm lens.  It’s amazing...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

@Talon Six Aerial keep in mind that for aerial the ability to control the camera from the ground in real-time is a significant advantage.  It’s quite easy to control the Sony, not sure how you’d do that with the BM-Pocket Camera.

The BMPCC4K wouldn't be for flying, Chuck.  I'm just adding to my ground camera bag.  Between the Mavic 2 Pro and the X5S on the Inspire 2, my aerial cameras are more than sufficient for my current work.  

What type of drone are you using to fly the A7?

On 4/28/2019 at 4:48 AM, Av8Chuck said:
   On 4/18/2019 at 7:40 PM,  JBR LIFE Photography said: 

I've been kicking around the idea of stepping up to a full on cinema cam that shoots 14-bit RAW and 10-bit codec just to try getting a little more dynamic range for these darker homes.  Only problem is I just don't see the return on the investment, at least not just yet.  So for now, I'll just keep banging on these Sony A7 cams I have to rock on. lol

@JBR LIFE Photography which lenses are you using with your A7?  Remember, the A7RIII is a full frame camera that shoots great 4K video and 43MP stills.  I think the resolution in this camera outweighs the difference in dynamic range.  

You bring up a solid point here, and by no means would I retire the A7R3 or the A73 from video altogether.  I'd only use the 4k cinema cam (BMPCC) for the toughest interior spaces, where lighting is eaten up by dark wood tones and I need to show the view.  Having a true 15-stop DR video camera would be outstanding in these scenarios.  I've found the 'end' of the Sony cams' ability to show inside vs outside in video, and it's truly an impressive 'end'.  Like you said, for stills, you just can't beat either Sony A7 model...amazing quality, amazing DR.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:48 AM, Av8Chuck said:

@JBR LIFE Photography remember this conversation from about a year ago?  I don’t think you had started using the A7 yet.  I know the economics haven’t changed but Imagine getting aerial with that camera!  It will rock your world.  We’re flying the A7 with the Sony G240mm lens.  It’s amazing...

I'd LOVE to fly one of these Sony cams!  Would you be interested in pointing me toward the right direction for a solid platform that's functional without the cost of a major hassle every flight?

Another one in the books! This one went into escrow about a week after listing, along with another I shot two weeks prior for the same new-to-me realtor. It's safe to say  she's delighted with the progress since working together!  Truth be told, it's the rainbow, not me. 🌈😂🎥🎬

• Like 1

And one more for today. I thought I'd share this small condo video to point out that cinematic video presentations can help almost any property. All ya gotta do is spend a bit of time finding the charm in a place.

Enjoy! 

• Like 1

Latest from here in the high plains.  Weather has been an unpredictable and massive PITA these days (it's snowing today if you can believe that), so I've become better at faking nice days.  

Here's some of the behind the scenes VFX magic:

1.  Driveway shot of sun through trees - fake blue skies and sun; it was overcast and rainy the day of the shoot

2.  Sunrays coming through dining room window - fake; same weather as above

3.  All images on TVs - fake, although Transformers was really playing in the media room

Anyway, I enjoy these post production challenges.  It's especially easy when the house is as gorgeous as this one.  

Another one as real estate season gets into full swing here in Cheyenne.  The drone footage is all Mavic 2 Pro.  There's a story currently going around the interwebz about disabling the GPS on the M2P for "buttery smooth shots" as the proponent author calls them.  However I've been extremely impressed with some of the Mavic 2 Pro's GPS-enabled flight modes like point of interest.  I see no reason why disabling the M2P's GPS would be necessary or even smart.  The object tracking especially is very accurate and allows some of the more complex shots you see like the corkscrew coming around the back of the house. 

The house itself was a challenge to shoot.  It has been empty for a while and hasn't been maintained or cleaned well.  Sunflares and sunrays added in post are great at covering up dirty windows though!  The gas to the fireplace was also off, so I added the fire in post.  And I didn't want to mess with the home theater, so the glare from the projector was also added VFX.  

Anyway, this was a fun project to put together:

• Like 1

we went to check out this factory to manufacture drones.  I shot it as we walked through.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, Talon Six Aerial said:

Another one as real estate season gets into full swing here in Cheyenne.  The drone footage is all Mavic 2 Pro.  There's a story currently going around the interwebz about disabling the GPS on the M2P for "buttery smooth shots" as the proponent author calls them.  However I've been extremely impressed with some of the Mavic 2 Pro's GPS-enabled flight modes like point of interest.  I see no reason why disabling the M2P's GPS would be necessary or even smart.  The object tracking especially is very accurate and allows some of the more complex shots you see like the corkscrew coming around the back of the house. 

The house itself was a challenge to shoot.  It has been empty for a while and hasn't been maintained or cleaned well.  Sunflares and sunrays added in post are great at covering up dirty windows though!  The gas to the fireplace was also off, so I added the fire in post.  And I didn't want to mess with the home theater, so the glare from the projector was also added VFX.  

Anyway, this was a fun project to put together:

Beautifully composed, colors all looked good, and that new Sony cam is very much paying off.  Great work!

On 6/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, Av8Chuck said:

we went to check out this factory to manufacture drones.  I shot it as we walked through.

So enjoyable, thank you for shooting and sharing this!  You were near my old stompin' grounds (I grew up about an hour from Johnson City).  Borla exhaust systems were the tits when I was into cars.  Loved seeing the mandrel benders at work, along with the other parts of the factory.

And here's a jewel of a property, located in Haiku.  This place is only about 2.5 acres, but there's a ton packed into it.  A main home, a cottage, a detached office, pickleball court, pool, waterslide, waterfall feature, jumping rock, swing hanging from a beautiful banyan tree, giant sized chess court, orchard, and more.  It was a challenge to pack it all into a minute, but it worked out.  Enjoy!

6 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

And here's a jewel of a property, located in Haiku.  This place is only about 2.5 acres, but there's a ton packed into it.  A main home, a cottage, a detached office, pickleball court, pool, waterslide, waterfall feature, jumping rock, swing hanging from a beautiful banyan tree, giant sized chess court, orchard, and more.  It was a challenge to pack it all into a minute, but it worked out.  Enjoy!

I caught this one on your Vimeo feed and called my wife and son down to check it out.  Very nicely done!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

(I grew up about an hour from Johnson City).

That’s a beautiful area.  Johnson City was a nice college town.  

So, you grew up there and you now live in Maui. Have I mentioned lately how much I Hate you!!  

You know I’m an old jealous, bitter guy and I’m just kidding. 

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, Av8Chuck said:

That’s a beautiful area.  Johnson City was a nice college town.  

So, you grew up there and you now live in Maui. Have I mentioned lately how much I Hate you!!  

You know I’m an old jealous, bitter guy and I’m just kidding. 

I know buddy, and I'm gonna just drive that thorn a little deeper in the spirit of love!  This is a photo of the lake I grew up on, Norris Lake, an impoundment of the Powell & Clinch rivers.  The lake has around 800mi of shoreline.  To put that into perspective, the state of California has 840mi of coastline.  Shot this on a P4 classic, flown from one of the little floating houses outside the marina.

i-4Vd88Lh-600x375.jpg

2 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Nice!  I've been trying various tracking plugins to to TV and fire replacements, but am still struggling to find one that works consistently.  I suppose I should buckle down like you and just keyframe it.

Keyframes always sound scarier than they really are.  In the end, once you get a good workflow down, it's not a bid deal.

Personally, I don't like putting images on screens because it detracts from the view.  BUT, I realize I'm shooting places that fairly consistently have epic views out the windows.  Maybe if there's a movie theater, then I'll add something to the screen, but usually I keep it to the visual appeal of the structure and environment.

Fireplace fire is fun.  I have a fire plugin, I'll send you a link via email.

15 hours ago, Kkilf said:

Thank you for sharing your video. It was great! I am just starting to do drone video for realtors.

Aloha and welcome to the group!  There's a wealth of experience and knowledge in this group, so stick around and you'll learn a few things from everyone here.

Congrats on your real estate aerial video journey.  This is the place to share if you're looking for constructive feedback, or just wanna show off some work.   

Looking forward to seeing some of your vids!