Ronk

N Numbers

I submitted my info on the FAA site and got it the instant I submitted it, and it's on my radio and UAV along with my AMA number and phone number  

N-numbers must be processed by the FAA's Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City. You are referring to the UAS registration, right?

N-numbers are not issued online.

The online form is to reserve your N number if thats all you did you currently do not have an N number.  You have to call the number and have then send you a registration form. Only the faa can send you it.  You put your reseved n number on that and send that in.  Then you will get your N number

didn't reserve a number but sent all the paperwork in for the filing and $5 so I guess I will just wait and see what happens

2 minutes ago, Ronk said:

didn't reserve a number but sent all the paperwork in for the filing and $5 so I guess I will just wait and see what happens

You should be fine. But the othdr guys that said they did it online thats what they did.  They just reserved there number. 

Hi @Ronk, found this on the FAA's website:

How long does it take to process aircraft registration documents?

In compliance with statutory requirements, documents are worked in the order we receive them. We are currently processing Documents received on approximately January 11, 2016.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2016 at 8:08 AM, Ronk said:

No I am referring to the FAA commercial N# for my 333 exemption

Ok. you are referring to reserving the N- number, that can be done online but the actual N-number aircraft registration process requires paperwork to be mailed to  the Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City. Just ensuring we don't confuse newcomers who read our postings.

The FAA does not issue N-numbers online, but you can reserve one then mail the paperwork to get the actual paper registration.

• Like 1

I'm interested why they call it an "N" number.  In aviation it's the tail number on the plane.  I registered my drone and they gave me a "certificate" number with an FA in front of a whole bunch of numbers.  I received it instantly.  Is this the same as the "N" number?   A little confused

Aha!  That helps....so my $5.00 means that I'm already registered and I don't have to pay? Or do I pay another $5.   That helps soooo much.  Thanks for clarifying.

5 hours ago, mconcialdi said:

Aha!  That helps....so my $5.00 means that I'm already registered and I don't have to pay? Or do I pay another $5.   That helps soooo much.  Thanks for clarifying.

If you need to register commercially, then you'd pay another $5.

7 hours ago, mconcialdi said:

I'm interested why they call it an "N" number.  In aviation it's the tail number on the plane.  I registered my drone and they gave me a "certificate" number with an FA in front of a whole bunch of numbers.  I received it instantly.  Is this the same as the "N" number?   A little confused

When you registered your UAV online you received that long number you must place in every UAV you own, it's the same for every UAV you own and it's only unique to you.

Because the FAA considers UAVs flown commercially under a 333 the same as any other aircraft, it requires a "tail number" or N-number, an individually assigned number, unique to the aircraft. I operate two UAVs under a 333, each has a different N-number. Law enforcement can run any tail number through their computer (like a license plate) and get the owner's name and address. Currenty, registration number (the ones you get online) are not accessible outside the FAA. Actually, anyone can go online and run any N-number, the records are public.

Try it, go here enter 220LM in the box under Look Up N-Numbers, you'll get my name and address (public records). Hope this helps.

Edited by Uaviator53
revise
  • Like 1

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you file with the FAA, the pink copy is your temporary registration. You can apply your N-number and start using it. I've done this with full scale aircraft before.

• Like 1

I didn't reserve an N-Number for my two aircraft but I did submit the paperwork anyway. I've received the pink copy back but the N-Number portion was still blank. I panicked so I called the Nashville FSDO and they proceeded to calm me down by saying that the number will come later and I was good to go with the pink copy.

• Like 1