Alan Perlman

FAA 333 Approved, But are you Complying?

On 2/10/2016 at 9:21 AM, mconcialdi said:

Very interesting.  The FAA 333 exemption comes with a blanket of 200 ft AGL right?

Yeap. The neighborhood kid (who can't even read an aeronautical chart or file a NOTAM) can fly at 400 AGL and take all the videos he wants, but a 333 operation (FAA pilot license, Insurance, business license) must stay at 200.  

• Like 1

How common is it to get rejected for an FAA 333 Exemption?  I submitted it and won't know until the summer.  I just want to know if it's common to hear about the FAA declining submissions.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, Uaviator53 said:

Yeap. The neighborhood kid (who can't even read an aeronautical chart or file a NOTAM) can fly at 400 AGL and take all the videos he wants, but a 333 operation (FAA pilot license, Insurance, business license) must stay at 200.  

Exactly. I think about this all the time. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2016 at 8:34 PM, mconcialdi said:

How common is it to get rejected for an FAA 333 Exemption?  I submitted it and won't know until the summer.  I just want to know if it's common to hear about the FAA declining submissions.

Depends. Did you use someone to process your paperwork for you, or did you do it on your own?

On 2/23/2016 at 10:41 AM, mconcialdi said:

I did it on my own, but I used examples from the submissions.

Got it. I don't have any data for you, but can only wish you the best of luck. First big milestone is getting listed on the public docket, which is taking about 30-45 days (these days, as of Feb 2016).

Question:  Does everyone think the regulation to have a Pilot's License for commercial use will stay as is?  Or do you think it will change?

Marc

• Like 1

Here's another question for my fellow UAV pilot's.  I just filed my Phantom 3 Pro in my exemption.  Do I have to file another exemption to fly the Phantom 4 if I choose to purchase it? Or can I just register it and get an N number and everything is fine?

• Like 1

On 3/2/2016 at 0:18 PM, mconcialdi said:

Question:  Does everyone think the regulation to have a Pilot's License for commercial use will stay as is?  Or do you think it will change?

No, it's likely going to go away. We should learn more about this in June.

On 3/2/2016 at 4:11 PM, mconcialdi said:

Here's another question for my fellow UAV pilot's.  I just filed my Phantom 3 Pro in my exemption.  Do I have to file another exemption to fly the Phantom 4 if I choose to purchase it? Or can I just register it and get an N number and everything is fine?

Not another exemption, but an amendment to your existing exemption. Amendments are taking the same time to process as regular exemption (5+ months right now as of March 2016). Yes, you'll also need to get an N-number for any new model you plan to fly commercially. The commercial registration system is in the process of being upgraded as well (and moved online!!!), but for now you have to go through form 8050-1.

I actually hope it is going to stick. People need to know the that flying this aircraft for a business is serious stuff. Safety and knowledge are all very important and to have some sort of aircraft certification is important. 

• Like 1

Great article - very informative - I'm in the beginning stages of this now - doing this on my own - wil probably be at least a month before I can file it. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

If anyone needs a logbook for compliance we are offering discount codes for our services. The "Pro" plan provides you with a list of flights and incidents (FAA report) and the Enterprise lets you create and track documents, checklists, customers and more. 

Use code EKDLB50 for 1 year of pro for $33  or UAV22ENT for 1 year of Enterprise for $150 (both coupons good for annual plan only). 

www.dronelogbook.com

Edited by DroneLogbook
forgot url

Ok!  So I just found out that my comment was posted to the public dock.  Is it only a matter of time before the FAA reviews my exemption?  I filed Feb. 2nd so I'm not expecting any letter until June.  Is this normal?

Only going by the posted dates of others and the confirmation date from the FAA, I have seen from 5-6 months...not sure if that is changing however that is what they currently show. Hopefully this shortens. Congrats by the way!! Please keep us updated on the progress!.

Hello Pilots ! I am new at this and have fallen in love with this!! I As I understand it the Flight Deck for us is 400 feet  but you need to check the reg's in youre area  and Be aware if you have an airport in your area of opperations, You wouldn't want to Crash in to a Cesna or a Hangglider. I havent earned my wings as of yet  but in my view I wouldnt want my bird Confiscated or hurt someone by accident  

• Like 1

Awesome! Congrats...wow.  That's a long time.  Did it come in the mail? or did you get notification via email?  Can you check the status online?

Edited by mconcialdi

On 3/24/2016 at 11:35 AM, mconcialdi said:

Awesome! Congrats...wow.  That's a long time.  Did it come in the mail? or did you get notification via email?  Can you check the status online?

Thanks! You can check at http://regulations.gov. I was notified via email.